Worst Opening Entrance Night Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsler532

Jul 8, 2012
Ive been coming to games since my first day in '86. I a Never have been more disappointed in being at a home game in my life. With ticket sales through the roof for the last home opener you would think that the Islanders would have acknowledged for fans that this is their last home opener in this building. Not one player was introduce. The intro video montage was a joke. Not one player from the history was brought back to talk about the experiences at the Coiseum. I honestly sat in my seat for the first 5 minutes of the games asking myself did I just miss something.

Last edited:

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Ive been coming to games since my first day in '86. I a Never have been more disappointed in being at a home game in my life. With ticket sales through the roof for the last home opener you would think that the Islanders would have acknowledged for fans that this is their last home opener in this building. Not one player was introduce. The intro video montage was a joke. Not one player from the history was brought back to talk about the experiences at the Coiseum. I honestly sat in my seat for the first 5 minutes of the games asking myself did I just miss something.

While I can agree that the pre-game ceremony/video was underwhelming and not what I expected....they did win. Maybe if they lost like 5-0 I'd give you "worst opening night ever"

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If we are moving away from complaints about team management, players and on-ice performance to simple anger about a lack of pomp and circumstance, that sounds good to me. That said, I am sure there will be plenty of promotions and celebrations throughout the year to appease everyone. They will milk the cash cow of the final season at the coliseum - probably ad nauseam to collect every dollar from the fans.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

While the history is great I think the team wants to focus on what they have now and not dwell on the past. I know they said they didn't want to do individual player intros because they want to focus more on the team instead of individuals.

A ceremony would have been nice but it isn't a big deal imo.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I got 5 tickets behind the net all the way up in the 300's for $43 each, that's pretty cheap imo.

The actual game was pretty good too, just the intro was a little weird.

I don't really care about that kind of stuff anyway, I just want to see some hockey (mostly a W).

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I imagine the last regular season game is where all the fanfare will take place. How many times this season should they "pay tribute" (whatever that even means)?

giddy up*

They mentioned several times that the Islanders chose to come out as a team and not as individuals. It was a show of unity as opposed to individualism.

How can that bother you? That's a great sign.

BroadwayJay*

I imagine the last regular season game is where all the fanfare will take place. How many times this season should they "pay tribute" (whatever that even means)?

As long as it is less than Derek Jeter, I'll be content.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Thread worthy??? Not.

Some can find a complaint with anything lol. Good grief I couldn't be happier with the start.

Kinsler532

Jul 8, 2012
YOure all right about the game being great. I should rename the headline to worst opening day ceremony ever. Guarantee all of you commenting about my complaint about the opening are all of those fans who havent been at every single opening night, have never been a season ticket holder, and have no knowledge of anything about the team before the series against the penguins.
What will an end of the year fanfare do for the team if theres no playoffs? What will it do for a team that could be eliminated by then. How can any of you argue my point that the Islanders should have had guys like Bossy and Nystrom or anyone who have been a part of the team when they were at their highs to relive the prominence of the team and to get the current team and fans motivated to reach that level again. Youre telling me a pregame ceremony with the alum to get the team to remember what happened in this building is me being a complainer? All of you who have commented are worse than rangers fans. For 28 years ive consistently followed the team whether we were good or bad, been at every opening night, and have never strayed from being a fan or had to come back because suddenly theyre in the playoffs again. You are all a joke for even thinking that it was ok that nothing was done. Player introductions forgotten, the history of the team should have been in attendence or done something to get the team and crowd ready to push for leaving the building on top.. Honestly though i dont know why I expected any different.. It was all of you fans who voted against the tax raise to keep them on the island.

Last edited:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

Just stop. I'm happy they didn't do anything. You want to know why? Because more often than not when a team has a big ceremony like that before a game they come out flat and lose.

This was a case of less is more. They won. That's how they acknowledge the fans.

Let old players talk about the coliseum and it's history on a random night in January. But what they did for the pregame was the exact right move.

Kinsler532

Jul 8, 2012
You just stop.. Trying to say that it was a good thing they didnt because most of the time teams lose on a night there is a ceremony is just assinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad