Worst Oilers GM

Who is the worst GM in recent Edmonton Oilers history

• Total voters

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
The Edmonton Oilers have had a string of awful GMs. Which of them has been the worst?

I know who I would pick, and that is Peter Chiarelli. No single individual has ever been more detrimental to the Oilers than Chiarelli, and you'd have to go back to Milbury to find a GM as incompetent.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Gonna have to go with Lowe. Even with how bad Chia is, the circus around Lowe was awful.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Here is a question: Did Chiarelli, like Burke basically stumble into a Cup?
Yup, he came into a team where Gorton had just drafted Kessel/Lucic/Marchand and acquired Thomas/Rask in net, with the likes of Bergeron and Krejci already in place. But I think a better comparison would be Jay Feaster. A GM who came onto a team with a warchest of assets that could withstand his awful asset management and win a cup, let it go to his head, and make even dumber transactions to finally get himself fired. Then goes to an Alberta team and not only doesn't learn from his mistakes, but actually makes even more egregious moves.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
They're all s*** in their own way but Chiarelli has done the most damage to this team in the quickest amount of time. It's honestly amazing how bad of a job he has done in the short time he's been on the job here.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Here is a question: Did Chiarelli, like Burke basically stumble into a Cup?

He did stumble into a Cup but it wasn't like Burke because Burke didn't stumble into anything and was a key part of putting that team in place.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
From a purely GM standpoint MacT or Chia but if you are talking overall than it is Lowe is a runaway because his work after moving up after being GM is the worst performance of any hockey GM/VP/Pres/executive etc. ever.

Lowe is the architect and main reason for the pathetic past 11 years of the Oilers, and while he may not have been the GM during the MacT/Tambellini years he certainly deserves as much if not more blame during those years.

It is pretty hard to stand out among this 4 pack of losers but Kevin Lowe stands high above them all when it comes to incompetence. Luckily for him he was a boy n the bus so despite his running of dogshit he will always have a job with his buddy Katz.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Tambellini is the best one of the four, and I thought he wasn't that bad. With him I thought the Oilers were headed in the right direction.
MacTavish was bad, but not as bad as either Lowe or Chiarelli.
But when it goes down to both Lowe and Chiarelli, since Lowe was there the longest I gotta give it to him. Chiarelli is 60% on the way to being the worst GM in Oilers history.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Lowe didn't even have a farm team :laugh:

he would draft players and then loan them out to other AHL teams who would play their own prospects over the Oilers prospects which would hamper their development.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Lowe because he was the puppet master behind MacTavish and Tambellini.

Reactions: A91

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Tambellini is the best one of the four, and I thought he wasn't that bad. With him I thought the Oilers were headed in the right direction.
MacTavish was bad, but not as bad as either Lowe or Chiarelli.
But when it goes down to both Lowe and Chiarelli, since Lowe was there the longest I gotta give it to him. Chiarelli is 60% on the way to being the worst GM in Oilers history.
Let's just say if Chiarelli was gm for 10 years .What would happen to this franchise ? Now let's just go back and analyze in just 2.5 years what he done to this franchise...multiple that by another 4.5 times. This franchise might be in the ECHL by then.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
The others didn't get to draft McDavid......I really think Chia absolutely gutted that team the day he traded Hall....then he sold low on Eberle....

I don't know if he overpaid for McDavid (he's the best player in the league moving forward after all) but it wasn't a discount. I give him a pass on Drai + McDavid because he probably had to pay that to retain players in Edmonton.

I really think the Hall deal was indefensible though...it's shades of Burke-Kessel.

But I think Chia has more optimism than anyone because again, he lucked out with McDavid during his regime.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
If the Oilers make the playoffs next season and look like they did last year this is gonna be funny to bump. The Hall trade was bad, but just a year ago it was considered good.

Reactions: snipes

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If the Oilers make the playoffs next season and look like they did last year this is gonna be funny to bump. The Hall trade was bad, but just a year ago it was considered good.

Why will it be funny?

It doesn’t change all the horrible moves that were made.

And the Hall deal was never considered good.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Chia.

The other guys were bad GMs, but they mostly just sat on their hands. Chia’s management style seems to focus on creating one disaster after another

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
How young is this forum? Jesus the Oilers will never have worse GM than Lowe and it's unquestionable.

CocoCrisp

Feb 22, 2018
Lowe. Hearing stories such as the Mike Comrie/Corey Perry fiasco and just his overall arrogance makes it an easy choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad