Worst NHL General Manager of All Time Award Nomination: Pierre Dorion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Exactly what PD should have done,no experienced hockey man would have ever taken the job here ...Just as no tenured coach would ..As they know ...They would be doomed from the start

On this I will give Dorion some leeway.

When he got the GM position things were looking decent: we had stabilized the D, Hoffman and Stone seemed poised to take the reins, Karlsson was unstoppable etc... It felt like we were a few moves away from being serious contenders.

Problem is ownership went from "we gotta contend" to "I don't want to spend more than the cap floor" almost overnight.

Reactions: Danythegod

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
On this I will give Dorion some leeway.

We he got the GM position things were looking decent: we had stabilized the D, Hoffman and Stone seemed poised to take the reins etc...

Problem is ownership went from "we gotta try to make the playoffs" to "I don't want to spend more than the cap floor" almost overnight.
Yep PD got to spend a little ,and make a run ...Then...EM is one cold hearted bastard

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
This is his job and source of income. What good would it do if Melnyk will just hire another less qualified lackey make the same move anyways?

I hope someone asks the same of you the next time your boss asks you to do something unpopular.
I'm ready...

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
That's wicked, any videos of this press conference?
Maybe. I could go looking for it.

He did not use those exact words, but during the press conference when queried on Jacobs meddling he insisted he had full autonomy and would not have taken the job if it were not the case and made sure before he signed the dotted line., Then Boston paper did a piece with some behind the scenes info about Jacobs not wanting to be hands off, etc, but Sinden and co talking him into it.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If the Avs draft Hughes, Dorion will have made two of the worst trades in NHL history in his tenure here.

If we're counting players after they were drafted, we should include that time fleeced Nashville by getting Karlsson for Chet Pickard and Taylor Beck.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
His draft record is saving him, but he's abysmal at the pro level. This isn't being helped by Melnyk being a tightwad that won't put some good pro scouts or analysts up there. Ah well, hope for the best on the Duchene/Stone returns I suppose.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Don’t want to keep poking the wound but reading through this summary is just too hilarious,

“Although the Karlsson trade was between just two teams, there is no way to truly evaluate the reverberations of this trade without discussing the Colorado Avalanche. The Senators have changed the tone of their public relations approach following this trade, being clear that they have entered a rebuild. However, the fact remains that the Senators don’t own their first-round pick next season. That selection belongs to the Avs as part of the Matt Duchene trade. With Karlsson’s departure, the team that many pegged to be the worst in the league has now lost their best player and have an even better chance of finishing the season in 31st place. This would also give them the best odds in the NHL Draft Lottery and the best odds of drafting projected franchise center Jack Hughes. However, that fate belongs to Colorado, who now stand a very high chance of seeing an already lopsided return for Duchene reach its maximum value. The 2018-19 Senators season will now likely matter more to Avalanche fans than it does to their own. To make matters worse, publicly committing to a rebuild could mean that Duchene, an impending unrestricted free agent, doesn’t even last the season on the Ottawa roster.”

More On Erik Karlsson Trade: Pick Conditions, Extension, Colorado

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just thought of this,

Pierre Dorion the other day said they want guy Boucher to go back to the old Boucher.

When Maclean was here he also said, they like Paul Maclean but the old Paul Maclean. I remember Paul saying publicly he didn’t know what that meant as he was just doing his job as himself or something.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Don’t want to keep poking the wound but reading through this summary is just too hilarious,

“Although the Karlsson trade was between just two teams, there is no way to truly evaluate the reverberations of this trade without discussing the Colorado Avalanche. The Senators have changed the tone of their public relations approach following this trade, being clear that they have entered a rebuild. However, the fact remains that the Senators don’t own their first-round pick next season. That selection belongs to the Avs as part of the Matt Duchene trade. With Karlsson’s departure, the team that many pegged to be the worst in the league has now lost their best player and have an even better chance of finishing the season in 31st place. This would also give them the best odds in the NHL Draft Lottery and the best odds of drafting projected franchise center Jack Hughes. However, that fate belongs to Colorado, who now stand a very high chance of seeing an already lopsided return for Duchene reach its maximum value. The 2018-19 Senators season will now likely matter more to Avalanche fans than it does to their own. To make matters worse, publicly committing to a rebuild could mean that Duchene, an impending unrestricted free agent, doesn’t even last the season on the Ottawa roster.”

More On Erik Karlsson Trade: Pick Conditions, Extension, Colorado

Good, the sens lost big on Duchene but he should be shown the door ASAP.
The sooner the better, that pick is gone, no point worrying about what or who it ends up being. Cut bait and start over, finaly a proper rebuild.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
A deliriously harmful narrative, worthy only of the Russian propaganda on Ukraine. He has to be a spin-off artist for Melnyk, but mastering this is another story.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
He's a strange man or maybe he doesn't have great command of the English language? Still think hes a bad gm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad