Worst NHL General Manager of All Time Award Nomination: Pierre Dorion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
As a Leafs fan I just gotta say I think every team in our division could nominate a GM for worst in the NHL over the last 10 years. We had Burke/Nonis, you guys have Dorian, but is this all his fault or more so ownership pressuring him and secretly calling the shots? Montreal might have the worst in Bergevin though. Tough to see because I miss when we played each other when it actually meant something and matching up in the playoffs. Hopefully one day it'll be that way again but I think you guys might go through tough times for a long time with this current owner.

Reactions: billpo

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Worst Milbury trade was Luongo & Jokinen for Kvasha & Parrish.

He also signed Yashin to that massive deal.

Knowing that, I'll put Dorion right there for giving away the best defenceman in the world for table scraps and strangely refusing to deal within conference despite not having a competitive team in the near future.
Add burrows trade + contract, Hoffman trade.

I can’t recall how long millbury’s reign of terror lasted but PD has done all his damage in a span of 2 years

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I can’t recall how long millbury’s reign of terror lasted but PD has done all his damage in a span of 2 years
True story. Dorion's list of bad moves is getting long.

This about tells the story on Milbury's time. Not sure if he was there when the signed Dipietro for 15 years or when they traded Wade Redden to us.
Mike Milbury's Top 15 Worst Moves As A GM

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009

I looked it up, Millbury took 11 years in the island to do all his damage. Dorion is advanced in the category of destroying a team that is for sure.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's a toss up at this point. Mike never traded a Karlsson for peanuts

https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-worst-mike-milbury-trades-contracts-and-transactions/

/thread

I'm really not a Dorion fan (and I think he is just a Melnyk puppet, so I'm having a hard time pinning 100% of the blame on him), but the Karlsson return, while really not great, has the potential to be decent, well even good with a lot of luck but it's the traditional quality for quantity deal and it always suck when you give the best asset in the deal.

- Tierney, a good 2nd/3rd line Center (ala Pageau)
- Norris, a good Center prospect (won't ever be a 1st line Center superstar but could turn out into a very good player)
- Balcers, high skillset, could turn out into a top-6 forward
- 1st round pick, will probably be in 2020 and if Sharks miss the playoffs, that pick could be good.
- 2nd round pick, the highest between Sharks and Panthers. It's just a 2nd round pick but if used properly, could get another good player.
- 2 more conditionals picks (not considering them for now)

Don't worry, there is plenty of reasons why I didn't like that trade, but the return is not a the top of the reasons. I posted several times about this.

Worst Milbury trade was Luongo & Jokinen for Kvasha & Parrish.

Yeah my favorite Murray trade, although I really loved the Bure trade too. Bure was my favorite player when I was young (with Potvin, Hasek and Lidstrom)

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Funny how this pops up after his best move in a while.

It's how this team continuously mishandles these things that is what gets me. I'm not a member of the Zack Smith fan club; I don't dislike him, but I'm not his biggest fan. What they did, though, is waive a player who was penciled in as Boucher's #2 centre behind Duchene, 9-days before opening night, in a move that seemed to come as a surprise to the players and Boucher himself. That's messed up.

Hearing audio of Boucher was fairly telling: essentially absolved himself of the decision and restated that until he's informed, Smith is penciled in as a top-6 forward. Although it does show the sad state of the roster, I'm more interested in the fact that it seemed to come as a shock to a coach trying to balance his line-up heading into the regular season.

Once again, it's HOW this organization does things that's, at this point, laughable. If Smith wasn't part of the plan, fine, but don't decide that from a general manager's/owner's perspective NINE DAYS before opening night. That's where the decision came from, because unless Spartacat has his hands in hockey-ops (and he might), this wasn't a roster decision made by Boucher - it was a business decision made by the idiots who have already run this train right off the rails.

So, again, I'm not saying Zack Smith specifically should or shouldn't have been on the team. For me, this isn't a Zack Smith specific issue.

Ah, the ballet!

Do, do, do do do do, do, do, do, do.
Do, do, do do do do, do, do, do, do.
Dun dun dun dun dun.
Dun dun dun dun dun.
Nanananananananana.

upload_2018-9-25_15-53-33.png

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
They are committed to run it to the ground that's for sure
After Duchene, Stone,Ceci and Dzingle leave I wouldn't want to be part of the marketing team lol

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Dorion is innocent in all of this. In order to keep his job he has to do what Melnyk wants.
Actually in this case you’re wrong. Melnyk is commissioning the murder of the team, Dorion is the executioner. In this situation both are responsible and neither have struck a plea deal. Dorion has had many chances to plead no contest and work with the prosecution (fans, players) but has chosen to remain silent and keep pulling the trigger.

Anecdotally speaking of course.

Reactions: HavlatMach9

Emerica

May 29, 2010
He is hands down the worst GM the Senators have ever had. I don’t care who the owner is, I would not entrust him with the role of managing an NHL team.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Pierre Dorion:

• Trades his best goalscorer for a 4 million dollar per year veteran, bottom-6 player, instead of picks and prospects. Says, "We need to surround our young kids with veterans."
• 4 months later, waives veteran leader Zack Smith.

What would you rather have, in a rebuild?

Zack Smith + 2nd + 4th + 5th
or
Mikkel Boedker

Pierre Dorion prefers Boedker.

To be fair Dorion has mentioned how he would like the team to be faster, bringing in Boedker and moving out Smith helps accomplish that. I'm in no way defending the Hoffman trade because I disagree that it was the right move but I'm willing to wait and see.

coastalview

Sep 11, 2018
They are committed to run it to the ground that's for sure
After Duchene, Stone,Ceci and Dzingle leave I wouldn't want to be part of the marketing team lol

oh come on
the marketing team will shortly be announcing
the release of another video
that is sure to fully clear up all these troubles
and create a rosy atmosphere of hope and excitement
and above all
professionalism

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I never thought that anyone could be as bad as Randy Sexton, but here we are.

Was Randy really worse than Mel Bridgeman? Randy got a lot of heat because he had no hockey background at the time but he's worked many years in hockey operations positions since his time here. Pretty sure Bridgeman hasn't worked for an NHL team since his time here.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Was Randy really worse than Mel Bridgeman? Randy got a lot of heat because he had no hockey background at the time but he's worked many years in hockey operations positions since his time here. Pretty sure Bridgeman hasn't worked for an NHL team since his time here.

Bridgman only had one real season at the helm, hard to screw up too badly in such a small amount of time.

He probably would have been the worst if given 2-3 seasons to really sink his teeth into the job.

Best GM by skill and job aptitude alone was probably Marshall Johnston. Second was Gauthier. Murray probably comes in 3rd, though mostly by default and a lack of other "objectively great" names on the list (Dudley was probably a better actual GM than Murray, but only having one year on the job hurts his argument here).

1) Johnston
2) Gauthier
3) Murray
4) Dudley
5) Muckler
6) Bridgeman (short resume saves him a lot here)
7) Sexton
8) Dorion

... numbers 5 through 8 on that list are depressing.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
We haven't even played a game yet, and Melnyk/Dorion has already changed "direction" like 3 times this summer. A roster player instead of picks for Hoffman because "veterans". Then we waive Smith, our most tenured veteran. What the heck? And the EK trade? Asset wise, not even getting a top 6/top 4 roster player that could be of impact THIS YEAR, let alone no blue chips. And I raise all of this for one simple reason: why did we pick at 4OA and not defer?

These clowns HAD to have seen this all coming. We are going to be a terrible team, likely worst in the league. And yet there they were, smug grins and all at the draft table, ready to pick at #4.

They actually buy into their own delusions. THAT is what irks me most about this.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We haven't even played a game yet, and Melnyk/Dorion has already changed "direction" like 3 times this summer. A roster player instead of picks for Hoffman because "veterans". Then we waive Smith, our most tenured veteran. What the heck? And the EK trade? Asset wise, not even getting a top 6/top 4 roster player that could be of impact THIS YEAR, let alone no blue chips. And I raise all of this for one simple reason: why did we pick at 4OA and not defer?

These clowns HAD to have seen this all coming. We are going to be a terrible team, likely worst in the league. And yet there they were, smug grins and all at the draft table, ready to pick at #4.

They actually buy into their own delusions. THAT is what irks me most about this.
This was extremely easy to see, many have been saying this exact scenario was going to happen (team destroyed/ufa's leaving/draft pick mistake) for many, many months.

The Hoffman trade stands out to me; complete idiocy in both return and "direction".

Seeing Kakko, Cozens and Dach hurts so much

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Save your own skin, Pierre.

You have to resign while there is a slight possibility of retaining your reputation as a scout.

Your days of being a GM in this league are over. You ruined that once you decided to do Eugene's dirty work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad