Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Seriously?

I mean...seriously?

No 1996 Detroit Game 7?
No 1991 Minnesota Game 6?
No 1993 Leafs Game 7? (Where Cujo lost his nickname, "The Cat", to Felix Potvin permanently?)
No 2001 Avalanche Game 4?

I could see the latter three if the author is not a Blues fan, but every flipping NHL fan has to watch Yzerman score that goal every single year.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
2003 Blues were a dead man walking team. Everyone knew that.

Orr scoring the OT winner, while unfortunate, isn't all that bad either since the Blues were merely cannon fodder for whatever original 6 team came out of those divisions.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
How in the hell can they not have Yzerman's shot on the list? That's iconic in terms of worst Blues losses.

Out of the choices they give I'd go with the 2000 President Trophy winning loss. I mean c'mon... Owen ****ing Nolan...

Vova

Jan 18, 2012
This is an easy no brainer question and it's the Yzerman goal that was apparently just a "dump in shot on goal" going for a line change that Casey forgot to save. Which is a shame cause "if" thy could of gotten pass Colorado next round they would of smoked Florida. That was the year that 96 team. But after how long its been since with what they have done in the playoffs. What you expect?

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Lot of highs and lows with this franchise. Purely from a 1 game view, off the top of my head, here's the list of heart breakers that come to mind:

1. 1984 Game 7 Division Finals against the heavily favored North Stars, Blues down 3 games to 2, shut the Stars out in Gm 6 and go on the road against the cocky North Stars and score a short handed goal from Wickenheiser to Reeds with about 4 minutes to play. The Blues were headed to play Edmonton in the Conference Finals behind a hot Mike Liut but then the impossible happened. Right from the ensuing faceoff after Reeds scored Willi Plett scored on a 75 foot slap shot. Liut was stunned. It effected him tremendously. After that goal he fought the puck the rest of the game. He was mentally shaken. The ONLY time I ever saw Liut mentally shaken ever. That goal caught him by surprise and it hurt him deeply upstairs in his head. When I saw him fighting the puck, you knew it was just a matter of time before the Blues would lose.

2. 1986 Game 7 against the Flames in the Conference Finals. Tough loss, can't really say the Blues got robbed in the game. Except Federko and Paslawski had a 2 on 1 in the opening minute of play and Jamie McCoun blocked Federko's pass. Had the Blues scored on that play, who knows???

3. 1996 Wings Game 7, I still see Shayne Corson breaking in all alone in the 1st OT, when that was happening I'm thinking to myself, this is the highlight goal. This is it.......well no, it ended up being Steve Yzerman's goal. Ouch. Got to give Jon Casey credit, he played great in goal that post season.

Now for my ultimate biggest blow to the Blues organization, for me, it's Detroit's owner stealing Jacque Demers from the Blues. Had Demers stayed with the Blues, there's no doubt in my mind the Blues would of had a dynasty. Despite being forced to trade away Joe Mullen, Doug Gilmour and Mike Liut, by 1990, the Blues were the best young team in hockey. They were on the cusp of greatness in 91. But Blues ownership undermined Ron Caron and personnel decisions were made beyond his control ( traded #1 for Rich Sutter, traded away Courts/Ronning/Mommesso for Butcher, traded Brind A Mour for Ron Sutter, signed Brendan Shanahan against his wishes due to possible repercussions and boom, we loose Scott Stevens) These personnel goofs derailed the Blues. Had Demers remained Blues coach, Demers and Caron would of been an exceptional tandem. Demers would of let Caron do his job, and harmony would of been abound. I truly believe that. It would of been a yearly show of conference finals and Stanley Cup appearances for a number of successive years, maybe as many as 8 or 9 in a row. No doubt in my mind the Blues would of grabbed 1 or 2 Cup titles between 91 and 95. Look at the teams who won went to the Cup those years - the hawks, Stars, Canucks......please. The Blues goofed. Losing Demers robbed this franchise of their destiny. And yes, I hate the Wings for this.

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis
Yes of course, the Yzerman goal. I can remember sitting in front of the TV (maybe 9 years old) crying to myself in the dark. Little did I know, this was the start of many painful years. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad