Worst moments in Caps history since 2005?

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
For those of you who are cheering for Caps since 2005 or more: what was the worst move(s) and most penalizing moment(s) in the post lockout era ?

1. Filip Forsberg trade for Erat ang Latta
  2. Cris Clark, Brooks Laich and Michael Nylander contracts ?
  3. Dale Hunter into Adam Oates head coach nominations
  4. Player injuries: Tom Poti, Dmitri Orlov, Mike Green, etc. Please, precise ?
  5. Pens luck in playoffs ?
  6. Alexander Semin goodbye
  7. Deadline trades: Kevin Shattenkirk, Curtis Glencross, Jaroslav Halak or Joe Corvo ?
  8. Defensemen drafted in 2005-2007: Pokulok (#14), Finley (#27), Seabrook (#52), Alzner (#5), Godfrey (#32) and Ruth (#46)
  9. George McPhee
  10. Something else ?

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The 7 game series loss to Montreal was a huge "bad moment". I would say the worst, save the Forsberg trade. It totally changed the mindset of the team (George) and arguably set the team back 5 years. Had they managed to win that series, even had they lost to the Pens the next round, the team would have stuck with that group of players and that model.

I'm not complaining overall, as perhaps doing so would have kept George and ergo, no Cup at all right now. But at the time, that was a monumental loss.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We just had the 1st pick and were clearly the worst team in the league and picked 14th.

The Penguins actually had one fewer point than the Capitals in 2004, and the Caps had to win the 2004 lottery to get Ovechkin instead of Malkin. While I agree it was dumb that the Caps didn't pick until 14th, we weren't clearly any worse than Pittsburgh.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The Penguins actually had one fewer point than the Capitals in 2004, and the Caps had to win the 2004 lottery to get Ovechkin instead of Malkin. While I agree it was dumb that the Caps didn't pick until 14th, we weren't clearly any worse than Pittsburgh.

The whole 3 balls, 2 balls, 1 ball setup was atrocious. The idea that you can't get a 2nd ball if you picked first overall in the past four years, but then Pittsburgh, who had picked first overall in 2003 (MAF), just two drafts prior, got 3 balls anyway. What am I missing there?

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The whole 3 balls, 2 balls, 1 ball setup was atrocious. The idea that you can't get a 2nd ball if you picked first overall in the past four years, but then Pittsburgh, who had picked first overall in 2003 (MAF), just two drafts prior, got 3 balls anyway. What am I missing there?

The end arounded it by saying Pitt *traded* up for their #1 pick. It was a joke then, and its still a joke now.

Look at the players chosen before #14. Wasnt a great draft. Ryan and Johnson are awful now. Price or Kopitar are obviously the best players after Crybaby.

I'm not sure if we would have drafted a defensmen anyway, or if we were BPA. But we may have simply dodged the Jack Johnson bullet.

#PlayerNationalityNHL TeamCollege/Junior/Club Team
1Sidney Crosby (C)
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada
Pittsburgh PenguinsRimouski Océanic (QMJHL)
2Bobby Ryan (RW)
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
Mighty Ducks of AnaheimOwen Sound Attack (OHL)
3Jack Johnson (D)
United States
Carolina HurricanesUS NTDP (NAHL)
4Benoit Pouliot (LW)
Canada
Minnesota WildSudbury Wolves (OHL)
5Carey Price (G)
Canada
Montreal CanadiensTri-City Americans (WHL)
6Gilbert Brule (C)
Canada
Columbus Blue JacketsVancouver Giants (WHL)
7Jack Skille (RW)
United States
Chicago BlackhawksUS NTDP (NAHL)
8Devin Setoguchi (RW)
Canada
San Jose Sharks (from Atlanta)Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
9Brian Lee (D)
United States
Ottawa SenatorsMoorhead High School (USHS–MN)
10Luc Bourdon (D)
Canada
Vancouver CanucksVal-d'Or Foreurs (QMJHL)
11Anze Kopitar (C)
23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png
Slovenia
Los Angeles KingsSödertälje SK (Sweden)
12Marc Staal (D)
Canada
New York Rangers (from San Jose via Atlanta)Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
13Marek Zagrapan (C)
23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png
Slovakia
Buffalo SabresChicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I'm a fan since 2008. So for me, all game 7 losses, starting with the Montreal series, plus Tampa's sweep. Loss to the Flyers wasn't bad, we were a young team with full of hopes. Then loss to Pittsburg in 7 games hurt, but they were more experienced team coming after the finals in the previous year (the start of my hate for them lol)... Then the real fun started, lots of expectations and choke after choke, heart broken after heart broken :laugh: Every year I would dream to win a cup and on our way to beat those motherf***ers who broke our hearts. Thanks, Caps, for 2018!

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
1. all game 7 flame outs.
2. oates and hunter but mostly oates.
3. semin, fedorov goodbye
4. forsberg
5. jose threeormore

hm: guy boucher sweeping us

knowing that the caps are champs makes this almost mean nothing.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh traded for the MAF pick in 2003. They originally had the #3 pick, but traded up for Florida's #1 overall pick. Florida picked Horton with the #3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->