Worst Moment in Habs History

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Yes Im Peter Ing said:
When Richard hit that linesman. Shameful :shakehead
Do you know why he hit him and why some of the crowd reacted the way they did on St.Patrick's Day ? Not trying to be a smartass, just wondering what you know about the story.

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
mcphee said:
Do you know why he hit him and why some of the crowd reacted the way they did on St.Patrick's Day ? Not trying to be a smartass, just wondering what you know about the story.

i think he was just trying to be funny...

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Having watched (and cheered) the Habs for over 30 years ... the low points as a Habs fan pour moi ...

10. Any playoff series loss to the Bruins.
9. Selection of Wickenheiser over Savard in the 1980 entry draft (As good as Wick was in junior, Savard was made for Montreal ... fortunately this did come to pass ... over 10 years later).
8. Irving Grundman appointed "Managing Director" (Possibly one of ... it not the worst ... GMs in Habs history ... see #9).
7. Losing to the Oilers in the 1981 playoffs (who does this Gretzky think he is ... and Andy Moog ... I still pain at the thought!).
6. Losing to Minnesota in the 1980 playoffs (I thought we could make it 5 in a row).
5. Seeing Guy in a Nordiques uniform (or any other uniform other than Le Bleu-Blanc-Rouge ... but as a Nord ... aspirin, anyone???).
4. Losing to Calgary in 1989 Stanley Cup finals (damn Gilmour, MacInnis and McDonald ... my life was destined to never see the Habs lose in a Cup final ... how dare those Flames!!!).
3. Ken Dryden retiring after the 1979 season (damn, he was great! ... we might have won a fifth Cup in a row had he been around ... sorry Denis Herron, you were not our savior).
2. The closing of hallowed The Forum (The Bell Center may be modern, but there is no history, no lore, no mystique ... it's just another big 'corporately named' building ... but maybe someday that will all change ... a re-birth of 'The Forum').
1. Patrick Roy trade (losing St. Patrick did hurt, but it's become our 'Babe Ruth' ... maybe we're now beginning to see hope ... what a slide it's been ... let's hope it ends far sooner than the curse of the Bambino in Beantown).

So there ya have it ... this is what keeps me up a night!!! :D

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
mcphee said:

Didn't it go something like he assaulted Hal Laycoe (to put it mildly) by cracking hockey sticks down on Laycoe's head, all the while the sticks were being feed to him from the Montreal Canadiens bench. Then when Linesman Cliff Thompson attempted to stop Richard from killing Laycoe Richard turned his anger towards Thompson and punched him with a closed fist in the eye.

Or are you going with the defense that I have heard before that due to an earlier hit to the head from Laycoe Richard was unable to comprehend what he was doing?

I am not sure if something against French-Canadiens was said, and quite frankly I don't care, his behaviour can only be described as shamfull, as is the case when any player attacks an official, and that is ignoring the entire stick swinging incident which is more of a discrace because of the bench feeding him sticks (can't remember where I heard this, but I am sure someone can back me up - CBC documentry on the Riot I think).

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Bring Back Bucky said:
Shame on you acr. What a terrible thing to laugh at.. :dunno: You do realize that several items in Rib's purse shattered on impact during that event??

Stop being such a mindless hater. That was one of the gutsiest performances ever.

Yzerman playing on one leg in the Olympics...

Bobby Baun scoring the Cup winner on a broken leg...

And now Mike Ribeiro soldiering on with a severely bruised labia...

Spooky371*

When Habs select Price over Skille ?
I'm joking.

When The Rocket die.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Maxwell Edison said:
Didn't it go something like he assaulted Hal Laycoe (to put it mildly) by cracking hockey sticks down on Laycoe's head, all the while the sticks were being feed to him from the Montreal Canadiens bench. Then when Linesman Cliff Thompson attempted to stop Richard from killing Laycoe Richard turned his anger towards Thompson and punched him with a closed fist in the eye.

Or are you going with the defense that I have heard before that due to an earlier hit to the head from Laycoe Richard was unable to comprehend what he was doing?

I am not sure if something against French-Canadiens was said, and quite frankly I don't care, his behaviour can only be described as shamfull, as is the case when any player attacks an official, and that is ignoring the entire stick swinging incident which is more of a discrace because of the bench feeding him sticks (can't remember where I heard this, but I am sure someone can back me up - CBC documentry on the Riot I think).
Max,I'm not going with a defense, it isn't necessary, it's history that's all. The story is told differently depending on the account you read. I don't know if any tape of the incident exists. Our poster Classic Hockey could probably answer that, and may have actually spoken to people who were there, so obviously his comments would be interesting.

I'll give you my take on the whole thing for what it's worth. Keep in mind, I'm not a historian,sociologist, nor particularly bright. I'm an anglophone so all accounts I've read over the years have been in English, I speak French but I have trouble reading prose. These are impressions,keep in mind.
The Rocket had taken as much abuse as anyone ever had,game after game, and he felt that the officials left him to take a beating. Richard was a proud guy who answered every shot with retaliation or a hat trick,sometimes both. Clarence Campbell was thought to hate Richard for his penchant of evening the score on his own. I think there were many who thought Campbell hated richard for other reasons. There had been pressure over the years to discipline Richard from the Smythe and Norris families,but they had their own agendas. So you have a superstar with a crazy temper,and players going out of their way to exploit it. Gordie Howe was leaving bodies in his wake,and many questioned why there was no outcry there. The game in question, Richard went after Laycoe, I believe in response to earlier hit. The multiple stick swinging thing with the guys on the bench handing him sticks, I've heard about,I've seen the Heritage minute,but I'm not sure I believe it. I'd have to confirm that it was the same night also. Try and picture a guy swinging the stick at a player,goingback to the bench for another one and doing it again, c'mon, that's WWE, I just don't believe it happened like that.
I'm not saying Richard wouldn't have swung a stick, there were actual stick fights in those days, where players would swing toe to toe, the most famous being Eddie Shack and Larry Zeidel. If the Shack/Zeidel thing happened today,both would be gone for at least a season if not for life. I just can't imagine how a guy could break multiple sticks in someone without being stopped or killed. I just don't believe it was the way it's told.
My understanding of his punch at the linesman was that Laycoe was free to swing at Richard while Thompson had richard's arms pinned. Richard then swung at Thompson. I've heard stories of the concussion, that it was an accident etc., I believe in frustration over Laycoe pummeling him, he swung at Thompson.
There was nothing racial in the incident,there were plenty of things over the years, but not that night. The ensuing riot on St.Patrick's day was definitely fueled by social frustration. I think that the crowd saw the suspension as another example of the rich anglo playing seigneurial lord over the French Canadian and decided like the guy in Network, 'we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore'. Some point out this night as a launch point of The Quiet Revolution, but at this point,I'm getting into Quebec social history and attitudes that I don't know that I'm qualified to go much further on. As to shameful, I don't lose any sleep over it. The Rocket to me is the most compelling story or player in hockey history. A guy's the sum of the good and the bad, and that's the Rocket.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I recall reading that part of the reason Richards suspension was so harsh was that Ted Lindsay had received a suspension earlier that season due to an altercation with a fan even though Norris and Adams argued fiercely that it was self-defence. When the Richard incident came up, Jack Adams used Lindsays suspension as leverage against Campbell, presurring him to give Richard an equal or harsher suspension.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Machoking2003-04 said:
What the hab fans did to poor Wickenheiser. Hating him because he wasnt french-canadian, and Savard was.
I don't recall much abuse towards Wick. There was a lot of abuse towards Grundman who drafted him, even though every GM in the league was going to select Babych or Wick before him. Wick's mother tongue had nothing to do with it. He was an avg. player and Savard was great,and a French Canadian, and admittedly taht had to do with it. In retrospect,everyone wondered how they could be that stupid. The GMs all saw the next Esposito. Media was different in 1980, there was no sports radio,all day sports tickers or ESPN style local networks, nor much in the way of panel shows.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
reckoning said:
I recall reading that part of the reason Richards suspension was so harsh was that Ted Lindsay had received a suspension earlier that season due to an altercation with a fan even though Norris and Adams argued fiercely that it was self-defence. When the Richard incident came up, Jack Adams used Lindsays suspension as leverage against Campbell, presurring him to give Richard an equal or harsher suspension.
Yeah, I remember reading about intense pressure being brought down on Campbell.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay I feel stupid asking this one really cause I am nothing short of a Hockey scholar to be honest but what was the cause or reason of Doug Harvey's death? I dont know why I never knew about this but after hearing the "stuff" that happened to him after his career to be honest I dont know what it is. Any help on this?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Okay I feel stupid asking this one really cause I am nothing short of a Hockey scholar to be honest but what was the cause or reason of Doug Harvey's death? I dont know why I never knew about this but after hearing the "stuff" that happened to him after his career to be honest I dont know what it is. Any help on this?[/QUOTE Doug Harvey had problems with alcohol. Big problems. I don't know how or if they affected his play, but there were enough Harvey stories aroud the city to enetertain one and all. At some point, late in life, he was diagnosed as being bi polar. To their credit,he nor anyone in his family connected any dots here and left the issues separate. For every wild Harvey story,there are 2 telling about what a wonderful man he was. Some consider him one of the all time great Canadian athletes due to his talent in football,baseball and I believe lacrosse. I don't quite recall the exact cause of death, I assume it was related to his lifestyle,but I wouldn't swear to it. Harvey had a lot of failed business ventures,received a lot of help from ex players like Dickie Moore, and I suppose had a tough time in his later years.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Doug Harvey in his later years had it really bad, and that is an understatement, with all of his money gone he was forced to live in an abandoned railway boxcar, and when this became known he was offered a job with the Canadiens (which he obviously took). He ultimately died due to cirrhosis of the liver from he years of abusing alcohol.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Well, almost 24 hours in and that famous incident of yesteryear is considered almost as black a moment in franchise history as Chooch's participation in this forum. I'll check in tommorrow to see how the voting progresses. Your vote counts!!

Last edited:

chooch*

Bring Back Bucky said:
Well, almost 24 hours in and that famous incident of yesteryears is considered almost as black a moment in franchise history as Chooch's participation in this forum. I'll check in tommorrow to see how the voting progresses. Your vote counts!!

Teh toughest day was when :

3. Dryden retired for the first time in 73 (can u say 7 straight?)
2.CHelios for Savard.
1.Roy bye bye

(Did 99 ever pee on Forum ice?) ;)

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
Teh toughest day was when :

3. Dryden retired for the first time in 73 (can u say 7 straight?)
2.CHelios for Savard.
1.Roy bye bye

(Did 99 ever pee on Forum ice?) ;)

Not that I know of, though Viagara Pimp must've had a few "accidents" when playing with a belly full of Jim Beam, wouldn't he??

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
Not that I know of, though Viagara Pimp must've had a few "accidents" when playing with a belly full of Jim Beam, wouldn't he??

Uhh, I thought I was the board urination expert ?

chooch*

Bring Back Bucky said:

well you dont know much of anything do you.

check out the March 87 playboy and dont whistle at the young anthem singer of the coyotes

Last edited by a moderator:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
well you dont know much of anything do you.

check out the March 87 playboy and dont whistle at the young anthem singer of the coyotes

Thanks for yet another post that makes no sense.

With your obsessions with viagara, playboys, hockey players peeing, etc. I think a session with the prison shrink may be in order ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad