Worst Moment in Habs History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
The one I remember is from my childhood. It was the final night of the season 1970, and the Habs were something like two points up on NYR with each playing a game that night. NY had to win that game AND score a bunch of goals to end up with a higher total than the Habs. I think the difference was six goals.

So, Rangers needed to win, Habs lose, and Rangers needed to score a half dozen more goals PLUS whatever Montreal scored in a losing cause that night. Hope I'm clear, but I remember it that way.

Rangers I believe won first and scored 9 goals, and pulled their goalie late to try and score more. Habs got beaten badly by the Hawks, scored 2 goals and lost by one goal in total goals and tied in the standings.

There were all kinds of stories, outrage about depth players being sent out by Detroit and both teams pulling their goalies. It was a mess, but I was pretty excited about it too, I remember Gordie Howe talking about it on television.

That would be the worst I'd say, Habs haven't had too many terrible moments in my lifetime.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
The spiral of the franchise from 93 until th elast few years has been painful but I don't complain a whole lot. I've been able to enjoy 12 cups. I don't even count the 5 in the 50's as my first hockey memory was the old man being pissed when Cicago eliminated them in 1960. So, I'm kind of playing with house money as they say. Patrick Roy's departure was a shame for a lot of reasons. No one looked good there and unnecessary drama is just that.

The worst I've ever felt was 1967. Montreal was in my mind the better team. Clearly. After game 1, I counted the cup as a done deal. I was 12 and it just never ocurred to me that they could lose. In light of what's happened since, I'd be kind of greedy to begrudge the Leafs 1967, but at the time, I was heartbroken.

I didn't like them losing to Calgary in 89, the times Boston eliminated them,but 67 was the worst. When Quebec eliminated them in the early 80's [forget the year], I was at the game and making my way back to my seat when Hunter tucked in the game winner in ot. It was so fast, everyone was in shock. We never got back to the seats, just turned and left. I don't count that one because I still don't believe it happened. Denial's ok with me.

LyleOdelein

Aug 3, 2005
Renfrew
One that should definitely be up there:

Roy getting traded. This absolutely destroyed the team at the time and led to one of the darkest stretches in team history.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Lowetide said:
The one I remember is from my childhood. It was the final night of the season 1970, and the Habs were something like two points up on NYR with each playing a game that night. NY had to win that game AND score a bunch of goals to end up with a higher total than the Habs. I think the difference was six goals.

So, Rangers needed to win, Habs lose, and Rangers needed to score a half dozen more goals PLUS whatever Montreal scored in a losing cause that night. Hope I'm clear, but I remember it that way.

Rangers I believe won first and scored 9 goals, and pulled their goalie late to try and score more. Habs got beaten badly by the Hawks, scored 2 goals and lost by one goal in total goals and tied in the standings.

There were all kinds of stories, outrage about depth players being sent out by Detroit and both teams pulling their goalies. It was a mess, but I was pretty excited about it too, I remember Gordie Howe talking about it on television.

That would be the worst I'd say, Habs haven't had too many terrible moments in my lifetime.
Do you remember listening to Mtl. lose the second half of the home and home with Chicago on CBC radio ? It was hard to be too outraged though, they'd won 9 of the last 14.

AltaHab

Mar 5, 2004
Sylvan Lake
Losing to the Oilers in the playoffs in 1981 The Oiler bandwagon was just beginning to roll in these parts and being a vocal Habs fan didn't wash with the locals all that well. Thank god for 1986. 1989 didn't bother me that much and Calgary had a very good team that year.

Roy was bad, watching the game that night and then Roy walked up and told Corey he was finished you knew the wheels had just fallen off. I still remember the Calgary sports radio QR77 doing a show that night on Roy and the Habs and the (Habs) callers were livid at what happened with lot's of blame to go around.

acr*

ribeiro_mike040411.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bring Back Bucky said:
Shame on you acr. What a terrible thing to laugh at.. :dunno: You do realize that several items in Rib's purse shattered on impact during that event??

like his dignity

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
mcphee said:
The spiral of the franchise from 93 until th elast few years has been painful but I don't complain a whole lot. I've been able to enjoy 12 cups. I don't even count the 5 in the 50's as my first hockey memory was the old man being pissed when Cicago eliminated them in 1960. So, I'm kind of playing with house money as they say. Patrick Roy's departure was a shame for a lot of reasons. No one looked good there and unnecessary drama is just that.

The worst I've ever felt was 1967. Montreal was in my mind the better team. Clearly. After game 1, I counted the cup as a done deal. I was 12 and it just never ocurred to me that they could lose. In light of what's happened since, I'd be kind of greedy to begrudge the Leafs 1967, but at the time, I was heartbroken.

I didn't like them losing to Calgary in 89, the times Boston eliminated them,but 67 was the worst. When Quebec eliminated them in the early 80's [forget the year], I was at the game and making my way back to my seat when Hunter tucked in the game winner in ot. It was so fast, everyone was in shock. We never got back to the seats, just turned and left. I don't count that one because I still don't believe it happened. Denial's ok with me.

McPhee, correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm going back to an 11 year olds vantage point on this one, but.. in my recollection that had to be one of the very top series for emotion that I ever witnessed. That series was a war.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For me it was the '89 cup, watching Lanny McDonald put one top shelf still haunts me since it would have been my second cup and the first one I didn't get to see it all since I was only 10 at the time.

They Roy trade is right up there. I also freaked out when we traded Eric Desjardins to philly, I thought he was just hitting his prime and was going to be a great defensemen. Breaking the record for man games lost to injury in back to back years also really sucked, since our farm team at the time was brutal, how painful it was to watch the leafs crush us in too many games those years. Poor Vigneault, must have thought he was cursed since all his top players kept getting injured and he had to shake his head when he saw some of the players that were recalled to replace the Koivu's, Lindens, etc..

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Surprisingly re-signing Brisebois the last time, with a no-trade clause.

Seriously.

It totally ruined my day. At the time, my vocal chords were still raw from yelling at him.

I cannot be alone in feeling that as a low moment.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It isn't tragic, but when Montreal lost to Minnesota at home in Game 7 of the 1980 Quarters -- it was stunning that someone beat Montreal (even with the changes in personnel -- it was still the Canadiens) after the awesome Cup run of four in a row.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
i agree it was an ugly situation and the habs sucked for awhile afterward, but I'm not sure how anyone can compare trading a goaltender to a riot in the streets :dunno:

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
mcphee said:
Do you remember listening to Mtl. lose the second half of the home and home with Chicago on CBC radio ? It was hard to be too outraged though, they'd won 9 of the last 14.

You know I don't. I remember very well the event, and I do recall Howe on television talking about the Wing game (iirc the storm was over a backup goalie or rookies playing or something) but I don't think I heard the game on the radio. That was the year Tony Esposito was so good for the Hawks right?

I do remember listening to the CBC games on radio. Sometimes the radio in the house wouldn't pick up the game (we lived all over, it was especially bad in the Caribou region of British Columbia) I used to run my dad's car battery down listening to them. He never gave me hell though, guess it kept me out of trouble. ;)

Rayne*

Having to beat the Kings in the 93 Cup Final instead of the Leafs.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
McPhee, correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm going back to an 11 year olds vantage point on this one, but.. in my recollection that had to be one of the very top series for emotion that I ever witnessed. That series was a war.

Every series with Quebec was a war. Every game for that matter. I've always thought that at the end of th rivalry, the players had become uncomfortable with the whole thing. Emotion had gone to a crazy level, and players were even put into political roles that they wanted no part of. That particular series, I think was similar to the Oil losing to Calgary in 86, I'm sure no one really believed it was possible 'til the game ended. I always thought that the old Flames/Oilers series' were played at the highest tempo and with the most brutality that I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad