Worst Leaf of ALL-TIME?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
OK you got me in the Christmas spirit now so ... now sure if anyone's mentioned Paul Higgins yet but if not ...

26 games played, 0 points, 152 PM. Yikes!

Reactions: Cams

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I will throw a vote in for Freddy the GOAT who defenitely is not the Greatest Of A Time

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Beat ya too it! How did this guy ever end up getting a lineup spot?!?!?!

Good question. I vaguely remember him but not well enough to have an answer for that one. Some of the names tossed around ITT are a joke, say what you will about some of these guys but if they played hundreds of games in the NHL, they weren't that bad. Someone mentioned Macoun FFS who played over 1000 games and won two cups, WTF is that all about?

Paul Higgins. Career 26 games. 0 points. 152 PIM. Before anyone offers up another name for worst ever, IMO they need to explain how player X was worse than this guy.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Good question. I vaguely remember him but not well enough to have an answer for that one. Some of the names tossed around ITT are a joke, say what you will about some of these guys but if they played hundreds of games in the NHL, they weren't that bad. Someone mentioned Macoun FFS who played over 1000 games and won two cups, WTF is that all about?

Paul Higgins. Career 26 games. 0 points. 152 PIM. Before anyone offers up another name for worst ever, IMO they need to explain how player X was worse than this guy.

I also find it comical almost, how people are harping on McLaren and Orr. I suspect for the most part, they are younger than most and did not see hockey in the 80's/90's. The days when pretty much each team had 2-3 guys with over 200PIM and how many over 100..... Go look at some of the OHL rosters from the late 80s and early 90s..... if you were up/down by 3 in the 3rd period....it would take almost an hour to play the rest of the game most nights.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This thread looks a lot like the “Airing of Grievances” with respect to Leafs past. Will it soon be time for “Feats of Strength?”

Happy Festivus to all!
Yeah - I'm a little surprised that nobody has suggested Mats Sundin.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
I also find it comical almost, how people are harping on McLaren and Orr. I suspect for the most part, they are younger than most and did not see hockey in the 80's/90's. The days when pretty much each team had 2-3 guys with over 200PIM and how many over 100..... Go look at some of the OHL rosters from the late 80s and early 90s..... if you were up/down by 3 in the 3rd period....it would take almost an hour to play the rest of the game most nights.

In my best Archie Bunker voice...."Those, were the days...."

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Brian Curran
Kris Kotsopoulous
John McIntyre
John Kordic
Lucien Deblois
Bob Halkidis
Ken Baumgartner
Aki Berg
Trevor Kidd
Mike Komisarek
Frazer McLaren

Take your pick
Deblois was an 8th overall draft pick and played 15 years in the NHL. He was old as a leaf but not terrible. 22 points in 38 games. We then traded him for Mark Osborne who was a good foot soldier for us. I liked him.

Not the worst players but bad Leafs:
For me from that era Mike Craig, who cost us Zezel in compensation.
And as a bust Al Secord a 2 time 50 goal guy and a 40 goal guy stood out as a disaster in Toronto without Savard.
Someone else mentionioned WOZ...OMG, brutal
Val James
Kevin Maguire
Jiri Chra
Kent Manderville
Alexander Goodynuk
all stand out with Freddy the GOAT

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Going back further, the first year of the World Hockey Association. A young Leaf team, with some potential, lost many players to the WHA. Jo Lundrigan, Bob Grisdale, on defence a slew of goalies, one bad talent base.

Around the same time, the Washington Capitals came into the league and with the WHA and the NHL were not generous at all in the draft to the Washington. I could be wrong but they only won I think 8 games that season. As captain Tom Williams said to this his discouraged teammates after they lost to 11 straight. "Boys, we are a good team. We are just in the wrong league."

salamicartier

Jul 22, 2018
I don't think I've ever cringed quite as badly as when Jyrki Lumme (and Aki Berg) were on the ice against the Flyers in that 2003 playoff series.

Reactions: TakeTheBody

RASHBEEP

Sep 18, 2010
only one that comes to mind is lebda. lot of the names here had their decent moments, i'm pretty sure lebda made a trash play every shift.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Is there any truth to that story about Fletcher choosing the wrong guy from Colorado?

I know Finger got paid, but perhaps there were other teams bidding for him.

Of course it doesn't change the fact that he was a bad player. :/

Funnily enough it was Ron Hainsey who was supposed to be the true target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->