Worst Goaltender Interference Call in History- CGY/EDM

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Honestly, this is pretty consistent with all the other calls. Make any contact at all in the blue paint that might have possibly, even if likely not, impacted the goalie's ability to make the save, it's goaltender interference.

The one outlier was the Chicago allowed goal the other night.

Give all these calls to the situation room. Set a consistent standard.
That is OT. Situation room made this call.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I'll just throw out there that the Canucks not only had a goal waived off, but got a penalty for goaltender interference years ago against Dallas and there wasn't even contact with the goaltender.

This isn't the worst goaltender interference call in NHL history.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
All the people involved in making and affirming this call need their reproductive rights revoked

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Awful call, like really bad.

Why even review stuff like this? It's a judgement call to begin with, you're not fundamentally doing anything different when you review it. It's just another judgement call that takes longer. Flawed system.

Reactions: Steven and nabob

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
That is OT. Situation room made this call.

Right, I get that. I don't disagree with the call at all based on the standard set lately.

The issue is that every game the standard is different because you have different refs making the calls. If the situation room makes that same call every time, that's fine by me.

I'd prefer everything except super blatant contact to be a goal, but hey, all I need is consistency.

Reactions: PKwonthetrade

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Tkachuk purposely ran the Oilers goalie three times and the Mcdavid play is the only one that ends up being counted as "goalie interference". :laugh:

Reactions: nabob

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
The overhead shows that McDavid curs through the crease and his skate does drag Rittich’s blocker which put him off balance. He wasn’t fully able to come across and make the next save so I’m not surprised it was overturned. Definitely not the worst review as some may think here.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I hope the media can bring this issue to forefront and keep hammering the NHL on it.

If when the media decides to ask Bettman about all this, he will casually say “it’s working like we envisioned it would.”

Reactions: Coffey

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Awful call, like really bad.

Why even review stuff like this? It's a judgement call to begin with, you're not fundamentally doing anything different when you review it. It's just another judgement call that takes longer. Flawed system.

Ain't that the truth. If there is no set rule or standard to go by then there is no purpose to review it.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
WTF??????

That looks like one SOFT and lame ass call. How was there anything remotely resembling interference by McDavid?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Couldn't agree more. In the last week the league has called back a goal for the tiniest of tiny stick bumps - where the goalie has had time to get up and reset - but allowed a goal when a player was sprawled spread eagled on the goalie's back. No one gets it.
i'm glad McDavid and Matthews (and others in interviews) are showing publicly that they know the league is screwing up. Hopefully the league recognizes that their players are unhappy with the garbage officiating and make a change

Reactions: zar

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Not only was the goal waived off, Luke Glendening was called for a penalty.

This was the worst goalie interference call ever.

This is the call I automatically think of any time I see someone complaining about coach's challenges. I watched it live and I still can't believe that happened.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
IMG_1611.JPG
McDavid motioning to the ref to ask if he wanted to review his SO winner was f***ing gold.

He got an "abuse of official" penalty for it :biglaugh:someone see if that refs feminine hygiene product is in too far.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The "Rules" in this league is a god damn joke. Crosschecking is onyl crosschecking sometimes. Run a goalie 5 times during the game, no goalie interference, nudge a goalie while a goal goes in, its goalie interference that calls back a goal but not one that warrants a penalty!?

This f***in league is stupid.

Reactions: HansonBro and TB12

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Tkachuk purposely ran the Oilers goalie three times and the Mcdavid play is the only one that ends up being counted as "goalie interference". :laugh:
But it wasn’t goaltender interference. It was incidental contact with the goaltender. He didn’t get a penalty for it.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Oh my god that is pathetic.

The NHL is a terrible league. Thank **** I don't waste a single minute of my time watching games anymore.

-That is actually CLEARLY interference. He knocks the goaltenders stick out of the way and the puck goes directly through the 5 hole at the same time. That is the exact definition of interference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad