Worst goalie tandem in history

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Not surprising that most of the picks are from the 1980's. First one I thought of was Bernhardt/Wregget/Bester/St.Croix for the 84-85 Leafs but after reading through the thread I see some real stinkers.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Not surprising that most of the picks are from the 1980's. First one I thought of was Bernhardt/Wregget/Bester/St.Croix for the 84-85 Leafs but after reading through the thread I see some real stinkers.

Im actually surprised there isn't more from the 70's. Pretty bad expansion decade but I guess most team had at least one goalie that dragged the tandem out of this thread.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Im actually surprised there isn't more from the 70's. Pretty bad expansion decade but I guess most team had at least one goalie that dragged the tandem out of this thread.

Yeah, just think of some of the bad teams and I come up with Gilles Meloche, Doug Favell, Michel Plasse, Chico Resch, Gerry Desjardins.... none of whom I would describe as awful.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012

I guess part of it is that many in here don´t remember those years. And in recent years if someone fails there is storm around it. In 70´s what I hace read Red Wings did have some bad tandems. Canucks too. Dunc Wilson, Ed Dyck, George Gardner didn´t have a good year. And people look more at the name than their results on that particular season. I mean how good was DeJordy at Red Wings or Kings. Or Maniago at Canucks.

Reactions: SealsFan

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I guess part of it is that many in here don´t remember those years. And in recent years if someone fails there is storm around it. In 70´s what I hace read Red Wings did have some bad tandems. Canucks too. Dunc Wilson, Ed Dyck, George Gardner didn´t have a good year. And people look more at the name than their results on that particular season. I mean how good was DeJordy at Red Wings or Kings. Or Maniago at Canucks.

Yeah, that's the thing about the 70's, even on bad teams you had at least one goalie who was decent or serviceable at other times in his career; that Canucks trio you mentioned is one notable exception (even in their first year they had Charlie Hodge). It's hard to think of a lousy 70's team where their ineptitude was blamed on the goalies. As I've mentioned before, when you watch videos of bott0m-tier 70's teams, they're skating around like chickens with their heads cut off, leaving their goalies hanging out to dry.

Beastdog75

C'mon Dougie, swat him he's a fly!
Dec 18, 2005
Brick, NJ
I thought the 2008-09 Islanders tandem of Yann Danis and Joey MacDonald was pretty bad. As usual Rick DiPietro was injured early on I believe and they just never acquired any suitable replacement for him.

Reactions: The Pale King

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad