Worst goalie tandem in history

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
The 95-96 Flames split the season between Trevor Kidd and Rick Tabaracci. Tabaracci is awful and I can't believe that any team trusted him to start more than 40 games a season

The 99-00 Thrashers rolled Scott Frankhouser, Norm Maracle, Rick Tabaracci, Scott Langkow, and Damian Rhodes. Another bad team with terrible goaltending that has Tabaracci on it

The 07-08 Kings had Jason Labarbera as their starter with support from Erik Ersberg, Dan Cloutier (his final season), JS Aubin, Jonathan Bernier (rookie), and Jonathan Quick (rookie). Unsurprisingly they were 3rd in GA

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Oilers trio of Conklin/Markkanen/Morrison for the first 3/4's of 05-06 has to be near the top of the list.
A combined .881 SV% for the first 62 games. With even average goaltending the Oilers would have run away with the Northwest.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Detroit Red Wings 1985/86:

.856 Greg Stefan (37 gp)
.848 Corrado Micalef (11 gp)
.845 Mark LaForest (28 gp)
.816 Eddie Mio (18 gp)
.750 Chris Pusey (1 gp)

Not the worst in history, but pretty bad for an O6 franchise.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
There was still old-school prejudice then, but I don't think it made a good goalie a fringe player. I mean, there were 4 Europeans at the All Star Game that season, and two years later a Swede won the Vezina.

Not weighing on how good Mattsson were but to be fair. He wrote that he was an average goalie and yes, it's correct that if you weren't outstanding or at least above average and well liked by fans you were victim of nasty biases. Goalie position would most likely be the worst since they draw a lot of hate no matter what nationality. :laugh:

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Well, they probably weren't the worst in NHL history, but as a long-suffering Canucks fan, I have to mention the Richard Brodeur-Frank Caprice-John Garrett trio of 84-85, the worst goaltending group in the history of the team. On a team that typically had lousy goaltending and team defense in most of its years, this season stands out as an outlier as being completely horrible as the Canucks let in 401 goals, far above their next worst total of 339. The Canucks got off to a horrendous start under coach Bill LaForge, and the moody Brodeur, who had been in decline since hitting his peak in 82, buckled and collapsed under LaForge's whip, putting promising yet green as grass young Caprice in the position of being the starter after Brodeur got booted to Fredericton. He simply wasn't capable of being a starter yet, despite getting off to s strong start and showing flashes of brilliance, such as making 40 saves in his first game (a loss in which he gave up 5 goals). Garrett was wayyy past his expiry date. In the first month of play, they gave up 74 goals in 11 games, including some humiliating blowouts, like the infamous Flyers 13-2 romp. The trio limped to a combined 4.88 avg with an .852 save %. Brodeur seemed to be in a permanent sulk for the rest of his career after LaForge, and Caprice's player development seemed completely destroyed and never recovered, he never lived up to the potential that saw him play for Canada at the WJC.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Panther

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The Oilers trio of Conklin/Markkanen/Morrison for the first 3/4's of 05-06 has to be near the top of the list.

Conklin was actually okay at times in his career. The fact that he could make passes in the defensive zone really helped the Penguins when Fleury went down for most of one year. Seem to remember him being serviceable at minimum for a team of two after that.

One team that sticks out is the Gretzky Kings. I remember thinking of Hrudey as incompetent and watching videos of that cup run years later never really gave me cause to question that recollection. Even when he was making saves, he wasn't doing it in a way that inspired much confidence, at least not from me.

Though, his Vezina voting results indicates that he was viewed to be average or slightly above average for a starter for most of his career, so maybe it was just me not thinking much of the guy.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The 99-00 Thrashers rolled Scott Frankhouser, Norm Maracle, Rick Tabaracci, Scott Langkow, and Damian Rhodes. Another bad team with terrible goaltending that has Tabaracci on it

Yeah, I remember that team. None of those goaltenders were particularly someone you want in net, but the team in front was the primary driver of the group's futility. Rhodes, in particular, was better on the ice than he'll ever get credit for. He had to be facing 25 high danger chances a night. Probably still has nightmares about his Thrasher days :laugh:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
One team that sticks out is the Gretzky Kings. I remember thinking of Hrudey as incompetent and watching videos of that cup run years later never really gave me cause to question that recollection. Even when he was making saves, he wasn't doing it in a way that inspired much confidence, at least not from me.

Though, his Vezina voting results indicates that he was viewed to be average or slightly above average for a starter for most of his career, so maybe it was just me not thinking much of the guy.
Hrudey is a difficult player to get a bead on. I think a lot of people -- esp. outside of western-Canada and California -- remember him mainly for his playoff appearances with L.A., during which he was mostly awful.

In the regular season, his stats don't look particularly impressive at first glance, but in fact he may have been the best goalie in the NHL in 1985-86 regular season. And if you look at his GSAA (goals saved above average), he was good to great most seasons of his career. It's just that the Islanders were starting to crap out just as he took over the #1 spot from Billy Smith, and then he went to L.A. which had horrendous defence and often gave up 40-45 shots against to lesser teams as a matter of course.

The early days (1985, and of course 1987's 'Easter Epic') aside, Hrudey just couldn't get it together in the playoffs, especially with the Kings. He -- like Wayne Gretzky, actually -- was particularly bad against Edmonton in 1990, 1991, and 1992. (At least Gretzky had the excuse that it was his former team and he was being 'Tikkanen-ed'.) Hrudey just couldn't stop a beach-ball against Edmonton those years, and he wasn't much better against Calgary in 1989 or 1993 (it's often forgotten he was pulled in '93 and lost the starting job to Robb Stauber to close out the first round vs. the Flames, before going back in for the run to the Finals).

Take the 1991 Kings as an example of how Hrudey let them down: L.A. was third-overall that season, after the best RS in franchise history (they had the best goal differential in the entire League, in fact). They finished 22 points ahead of Edmonton, which was then a .500 team struggling to score. Gretzky had probably his best-ever year as a King, and from January 3rd onward the team went 27-10-5. They got it together against Vancouver after falling behind, but then ran into Edmonton. With the series tied 1-1, game three goes into double overtime, and is won by Esa Tikkanen on this goal:

Now, granted, the Oilers were on home-ice and they out-shot L.A. in this game, so you could argue they were more likely to win anyway. But when your starter lets in a shot like that in double overtime, against a team you're supposed to beat, it just demoralizes the team.

But this tended to be Hrudey's pattern in overtime -- whiffing on shots he should stop, or over-committing and getting burned (as with LeClair's two OT goals in the '93 Finals).

Maybe Hrudey's "legacy" would be stronger if he had had nerves of steel in the playoffs. It seems he got worse when the pressure was on.

Last edited:
Reactions: billybudd

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I'm reaching for the low-hanging fruit, but how about Ron Low & Michel Belhumeur (plus John Adams for 8 games) on the legendary 1974-75 Capitals?

Ron Low went 8-36-2, with an .855 and a 5.45 GAA (his 'goals-saved-above-average' was -57.07).
Michel Belhumeur appeared in 35 games... and got zero wins! He had an .861 and a 5.37 GAA (his 'goals-saved-above-average' was -34.20). For his career, Belhumeur appeared in 46 games for Washington over two seasons, and wasn't credited with a single win for the franchise.

Now, of course, we could limit this to non-expansion teams...

I really think Low gets a bad rap on these pages at times. Sure, his numbers look awful, but look at the team and situation in front of him. A futility record setting expansion team, not just any expansion team. Of course media was not what it is now but I remember Low being regarded as a better goalie then his situation. I don't recall that sentiment ever regarding Kansas/Colorado tending. I don't think he should be mentioned on this thread myself.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
A combined .881 SV% for the first 62 games. With even average goaltending the Oilers would have run away with the Northwest.

I've always thought that 2006 Oilers team getting called a "Cinderella" was criminally underrating them. They finished the season #1 in shots against and #30 in SV%. Has that ever happened in any other seasons? With even remotely competent goaltending, that Oilers team certainly would've been doing better than barely sneaking in as an 8th seed...

I don't remember the exact reason why the Oilers went with Conklin/Markkanen to start that year instead of going with a more proven starter, but you can see where they saw upside. Both guys had played solid with a 1B workload in the season prior to the lockout, with Conklin handily outplaying Salo.

The final nail in that trio's tenure before looking to add a goalie at the deadline had to be home losses to the lowly Blues that were the teams last game going into the Olympic break, and the first coming out. Markkanen and Morrison combined to face only 33 shots in 125 minutes (only 12 in the 2nd game!) but allowed 8 goals and each got pulled in their respective starts.

I somewhat remember Morrison coming up (wasn't it from the ECHL too?) and generating a ton of buzz going into December, and then he crashed HARD. 5-1-0 and .927 in his first month. Then he gets pulled in two straight starts, gets sent back down, comes back and plays OK, then bombs two straight again. After that first month, the rest of his Oilers tenure is .848. Yikes.

Conklin was actually okay at times in his career. The fact that he could make passes in the defensive zone really helped the Penguins when Fleury went down for most of one year. Seem to remember him being serviceable at minimum for a team of two after that.

My dig at Conklin was more or less at his performance in that specific season with the Oilers, than at him specifically. Otherwise, I agree with your summation. Conklin went through somewhat of a Ron Tugnutt like post-30YO resurgence when he quickly went from #3 to #1 with the Pens in Fleury's absence, kept the Red Wings in the President's race when Osgood had a rough go and put in a solid year as a #2 for a still rebuilding Blues team.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
08-09 Avalanche:

Player GP Min W L OT GA GAA SA SV Sv% SO
Peter Budaj563231202951542.8615311377.8992
Andrew Raycroft31172212160903.14836746.8920
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
10-11 Avalanche:

Player GP TOI W L OT GA GAA SA Sv% SO G A PIM
Peter Budaj452439152141303.201234.8951016
Craig Anderson33181013153993.28957.8970014
Brian Elliott12690281443.83404.8910000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
16-17 Avalanche:

Player GP GS TOI W L OT GA GAA SA SV% SO G A PIM
Calvin Pickard50482820:16153121402.981461.9042020
Semyon Varlamov24231347:476170763.38745.8981000
Jeremy Smith108542:43161323.54286.8880000
Spencer Martin33179:26021134.3596.8650000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I think it takes considerable skill to have a sub .900 sv% in the cap era, so here you go.

Ed - Fun fact: One of those Budaj shutouts from 08/09 came in a game he lost.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
But this tended to be Hrudey's pattern in overtime -- whiffing on shots he should stop, or over-committing and getting burned (as with LeClair's two OT goals in the '93 Finals)

That's a good word for Hrudey. That's what I was getting at when I said he "didn't inspire confidence" even when he stopped the puck. He'd be out of position, which gave me the impression he was guessing and stopping the puck by accident.

Good post.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
From the O6 era, the 1961-62 Bruins stand out. They were more than a goal-per-game worse than the fifth-place team. Don Head (38 G, 4.16 GAA) and Bruce Gamble (28G, 4.32 GAA) were their last line of defense, whereas all of the other teams had future Hall-of-Famers in the nets.
Gamble would be pretty good on decent teams. Head went back to a long career in the minors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prsut18

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I'll give a nod to the Billington/Madeley tandem in Ottawas first year. Thats an NHL backup and a farm team starter trying to keep an expansion team afloat.

Billington didn't join Ottawa until their second season. He was acquired in exchange for the man who was their starter in year one, Peter Sidorkeiwicz.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He was fringe mostly because he was a European goalie in the NHL at a time when there were still very strong prejudices.

I think he was fringe goalie because he was lousy, not because of "prejudices" unless you're referring to prejudices against lousy goaltenders.

In 1982-83 Pelle Lindberg was the starting goaltender for the Philadelphia Flyers and made the All-Rookie team. Two years later he was a Vezina trophy winner. The climate for European goaltenders wasn't as frosty as you are pretending.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Billington didn't join Ottawa until their second season. He was acquired in exchange for the man who was their starter in year one, Peter Sidorkeiwicz.

When does an expansion team stop being an expansion team?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think he was fringe goalie because he was lousy, not because of "prejudices" unless you're referring to prejudices against lousy goaltenders.

In 1982-83 Pelle Lindberg was the starting goaltender for the Philadelphia Flyers and made the All-Rookie team. Two years later he was a Vezina trophy winner. The climate for European goaltenders wasn't as frosty as you are pretending.

Pelle Lindbergh made it simply because he was the most talented goalie in the entire league. And it's not like he was anything like the only decent goalie from Europe, yet he and Mattsson were the only ones in the league at the time. And yes, prejudice was a huge part of that.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Elvis and one of the Jonas brothers might make good music, but i bet they could soon challenge the worst goaltending tandem in NHL history title

ps... i said they could

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad