Post-Game Talk: Worst forward on the team with the GWG

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
and because you need to have a certain level of crazy on your team especially in the playoffs. when things go off the rails having a top 5 maniac that isnt afraid to cross lines is essential. tom wilson/ryan reeves these players get better when the games get rougher and dirtier aka playoff hockey.

Crazy is the one thing this club has in spades.

I would not want to play us in 4 straight games personally, forget 7. Kass, looch, khaira, Nurse, and Manning on the same team?

Remember how shaken Matt Tkachuk was earlier this year when realizing he'd have to play us the next week after the game he dog piled on McDavid? He was a chior boy in game number two.

Reactions: harpoon

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is kind of odd timing for this post. The Wild just beat the best team in the league easily. So that the difficulty of schedule indicator would appear to mean very little, as it does every season. What DOES matter, invariably, at this time of season is stagger in pts. So that teams that are in spots at this time tend to remain in playoff spots at this time.

We've gone 6-2-2 against weak opposition in last 10gp. Wild have simply matched going an identical record. We've made up zero pts ground.

What happens often at this time of year is that teams that desperately need pts tend to beat the clubs that do not require the pts. Its actually potentially beneficial to have what looks like a difficult schedule at this time of year because the clubs already set are not playing with the same urgency. This increases in last 10GP where set teams even start to give key players some rest in prep for the playoffs. I can only assume the Wild and the Stars will finish with winning records or much better, the rest of the way. The Oilers real problem is all the divisional spots are out of reach and so that everything depends on what Minny, Dallas, and even Arizona do.

All that we've accomplished in last 10GP is limit the amount of fish in the WC pond. But we're still a far reach from spawning up to that pond..

Yeah I agree. You'd be a FOOL to bet on the Oilers making the playoffs. I'm just pointing out that the schedules are significantly different from one another, and the advantage is towards us.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Kassian is this year's Rattie. Borderline NHLer on a season ending hot streak in garbage time riding shotgun with the best player in the world.

If it fools some other GM we should trade him ASAP.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Better than the Kasstrator, or the Kasstraitor (during the rumors of him wanting out)

We can go with the Kassmania Devil (Kassian), Captain Caveman (Cave), and Son (Currie).
capt.jpg

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Better than the Kasstrator, or the Kasstraitor (during the rumors of him wanting out)

I don't want him out. Hopefully he continues to play like this. I think something is up with Nuge. Is he hurt?
In the offseason, hopefully obtain 1 or 2 fellas who can score 25-30 goals. I still have hope for Puju. He had some serious problems with his hips

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kassian is this year's Rattie. Borderline NHLer on a season ending hot streak in garbage time riding shotgun with the best player in the world.

If it fools some other GM we should trade him ASAP.

Do we agree on everything? heh

Is Kassian contract up? That's the only thing I can think of that this long dead player has suddenly rose from the ashes. This same player was so bad last season, and majority of this that outside the pk you would not recognize him as an NHL player.

Unfortunately we know with Kass, always, that these short stints of good play NEVER last.

I guess we can hope.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah I agree. You'd be a FOOL to bet on the Oilers making the playoffs. I'm just pointing out that the schedules are significantly different from one another, and the advantage is towards us.

Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I wish it was an advantage in the way these things usually go. One of the real problems is that the point separation between the Wild card teams and those that already have divisional places locked is appreciable enough that Dallas and Minny are the only teams that can be caught. They will do just enough to get in. Might even come down to last 5GP mathematically. But they will stay in the positions they are in.

One of the foremost momenst that was largely missed last night was Dallas setting the Avalanche on fire 4-0. Pretty much informs which team is far better in a game that had huge playoff implications. The likelihood is Colorado and Vancouver are pretenders, Arizona a very outside shot, (shouldn't be even remotely in contention) and we could win 10 games in a row and still be just out of a spot.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015

Is Kassian contract up? That's the only thing I can think of that this long dead player has suddenly rose from the ashes. This same player was so bad last season, and majority of this that outside the pk you would not recognize him as an NHL player.

Unfortunately we know with Kass, always, that these short stints of good play NEVER last.

I guess we can hope.
I get the feeling it's a discipline problem with him. After they benched him he came shooting out of the gate. Eventually started coasting again. The dumb penalties are a huge problem but he also gets called for everything. If he can stay motivated and disciplined he is easily NHL calibre. The question is, can he?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Reminds me so much of DSF. Complain and whine about everything all the time and then brag about how right he was all the time, 60% of the time.

DSF was far worse than GK ever has been. GK is a curmudgeon but at least he's civil. DSF was a curmudgeon who was a complete asshole.

Reactions: nabob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I get the feeling it's a discipline problem with him. After they benched him he came shooting out of the gate. Eventually started coasting again. The dumb penalties are a huge problem but he also gets called for everything. If he can stay motivated and disciplined he is easily NHL calibre. The question is, can he?

Somebody mentioned a sports psychologist would be ideal for this player. But I would wonder about more than that. Its really odd but he's intelligent and articulate and yet his actions are often controlled by impulse, emotion, he doesn't rule himself exceedingly well.

Overall I have a tendency to be understanding about a player facing his issues and want him to succeed. its really quite a story, but I also am fatigued as an Oiler fan in general and in regards to players that have seemingly endless patterns of non performance.

What concerns me is HOW checked out he was for the first 40 games (and particularly the first 20 this season) To the degree that the team and pundits just assumed he had trade me demands. In every way he resembled a player that was refusing to perform. He wasn't engaged in any facet of his game or the required team game.

Reactions: McLovin

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wonder if we can stop with the named persecution of posters on these threads. Thanks.

No need to carve each other. The Oilers are generally painful enough.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

no

I guess we can hope.
of course he's a streaky player, if he was more consistent he'd be paid a lot more and score a lot more

and no one is saying he's a lock for a top 6 role

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I’m on vacation. Sorry that just happened to coincide with last nights win. I’ll try and schedule my vacations around the many lengthy losing streaks we’ve had next time.

It’s the ebbs and flows of the season. They have points in 8 of their last 9 games and nothing has changed. This team still needs upgrades at forward and defense. This hot stretch doesn’t change that at all. It’s great that they’re playing better but they needed to man up much earlier than this.

If this team needs a perfectly healthy defense to stay competitive then hoo boy do I have news for you.

I don't know why people are giving you so much shit for having this opinion. It's pretty spot on and relevant to the current situation.

Nice stretch of hockey but the team is still far away from where it needs to be, lets not lose sight of that (I'm talking to you Bobby Nick's) because of a fairly meaningless (too) late season streak.

With that said, them winning some games is far better than the usual death march that we see from Oiler teams if recent past. I just pray that it doesn't give management a false sense of security.

Reactions: Faelko

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He’s been playing good for two months now.

Agreed. Some are blind to it because he was playing with plugs so the numbers didn't match his improved play. Dude has been bringing it for a while now.

I completely disagree with the poster who compared him to Rattie. Kassian is a proven producing NHLer who can be difficult to play against when he's not scoring and PK. Rattie is a career AHLer who is completely useless when he's not scoring. No comparison and it's another example of Oiler fans undervaluing useful players.

Last edited:
Reactions: harpoon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not everything.

Klefbom is awesome and Gagner isn't a realistic top 6 option. ;)

Thanks for letting me know that you are not actually my bro.

heh

klef, I like the physical play, he's been effective at controlling traffic, he's strong and when in position he's quite a good D. But his achilles heel is being out of position. he engages in too much risk reward for my liking and particularly as his jumping up into plays has more risk than reward, and his offensive potential has been overrated in view of what Nurse is doing with similar spots.

i'd like too things cutback a bit with Klef. Less jumping up into the rush or offense, and less swimming to the boards in no mans land. he's better, and Koski is too, when Klef patrols the net area.

Gagner is not a long term option probably, and he isn't an ideal topsix option. But on a team that has such a limited amount of topsix options he is a pretty credible option, on this roster, until we acquire better.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't know why people are giving you so much **** for having this opinion. It's pretty spot on and relevant to the current situation.

Nice stretch of hockey but the team is still far away from where it needs to be, lets not lose sight of that (I'm talking to you Bobby Nick's) because of a fairly meaningless (too) late season streak.

With that said, them winning some games is far better than the usual death march that we see from Oiler teams if recent past. I just pray that it doesn't give management a false sense of security.
Because we as fans are so desperate for any positive news in another lost season. I get it, I really do. It bugs the hell out of me that this team is finally playing at a competent level when the playoffs are out of reach. I know this team has had injuries but so what? Injuries are part of every team and the Oilers shut it down when Klefbom was hurt. Unfortunately things happen but the good teams move past that. And that’s precisely why this team needs upgrades. The defense right now is exactly the same as it was in the playoffs but that’s not good enough anymore. Two whole years with no tangible upgrades...

I hope and pray that the org doesn’t look at this stretch and assume this is the norm. Because they still need upgrades at most positions.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
The Hart would definitely go to McDavid if he drags the Oilers to the playoffs
Don't think so. You have Draisaitl on the team as well who still might win the Rocket Richard. The points drop off from Kucherov to Stamkos is significant. I know Tampa is a much better team but think the Eastern media bias means McDavid won't win.

Probably a mute discussion as there is no way the Oilers make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad