Post-Game Talk: Worst forward on the team with the GWG

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
so we can't be happy for him that he's playing well and producing?
We can while also pointing out that said player did nothing for an extremely long stretch. Maybe if he (and the team) played this way during this stretch we wouldn’t be in this position.

Attachments

• CBD209C9-104E-40CD-8061-DB3B79098000.jpeg
    CBD209C9-104E-40CD-8061-DB3B79098000.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 5

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Only 7 points back

Too high of a mountain to climb this late in the year. Minny or Dallas would need to *completely* fall apart, and the oilers will have to maintain this run. Not going to happen.

This little run since getting Sekera/Klefbom back is great for the team morale though, especially McDavid. If we can finish strong, it might keep the "McDavid wants out" rumors tamped down for another year. It would also help this teams psyche going into next season.

If nothing else, it has been great to see Sekera as a contributing member of the team . You'd think that he will only get better over the off-season as well as he heals more, and as long as he doesn't have another devastating off-season injury again, we might be able to at least pencil him in on our 2nd pairing next year. That would be HUGE for next year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
who cares about he past right now

does it matter right now? does it factor into the game tomorrow night?
he's producing and that' a good thing
The past still includes this season. It’s absolutely a valid question about the player. Good that he’s playing well now. But you need to look ahead and behind in this business.

I would personally dangle him in the off-season and see if anyone bites before he goes back into his coma but that’s just me.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
We can while also pointing out that said player did nothing for an extremely long stretch. Maybe if he (and the team) played this way during this stretch we wouldn’t be in this position.
and maybe if Talbot didn't start so many games we wouldn't here
and maybe if Klefbom was healthy we wouldn't be here
and maybe if Sekera was healthy from the start we wouldn't be here
and maybe if Chia wasn't GM we wouldn't be here
and maybe if Nicholson wasn't CEO we wouldn't be here
and maybe...

honestly, we are allowed to be happy for a player that's he producing

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
and maybe if Talbot didn't start so many games we wouldn't here
and maybe if Klefbom was healthy we wouldn't be here
and maybe if Sekera was healthy from the start we wouldn't be here
and maybe if Chia wasn't GM we wouldn't be here
and maybe if Nicholson wasn't CEO we wouldn't be here
and maybe...

honestly, we are allowed to be happy for a player that's he producing
Great! See what he’s worth to other teams.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It took Kassian over a year to wake up. That doesn’t concern you? Do you think he keeps this play up going into next year?
Does a 1.9 mill player on pace for 15 goals concern me? Not at all. He could regress for sure or maybe he found his niche. Being an optimist I’ll just choose and hope for the 2nd option.

Reactions: joestevens29

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The past still includes this season. It’s absolutely a valid question about the player. Good that he’s playing well now. But you need to look ahead and behind in this business.
it's a valid question for the offseason

the guy is producing be happy

I would personally dangle him in the off-season and see if anyone bites before he goes back into his coma but that’s just me.
getting rid of players that produce is so Oilers but it depends on the return...it better be a overpayment

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

getting rid of players that produce is so Oilers but it depends on the return...it better be a overpayment
Actually getting rid of players at their lowest value is what the Oilers do. Which is why he’ll probably be traded at next years TDL for a sixth or something.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hmm, so in reaction to my own post about this being "too high a hill to climb", I looked at the remaining schedule for the Oilers and the Wild. We have 1 game in hand, and have a LOT easier schedule the rest of the way. Based on current standings, our average opponent ranking is 17.5, whereas the Wild's is 12.6. That is a fairly big difference actually. Our last 2 games of the year are against San Jose and Calgary, who might both be resting players by that point (if 1st in the Pacific is already decided by that time).

If we win our game in hand (yes, that is a big if) we have to make up 6 points over the other 15 games (as we don't hold the tie-breaker). Again, this will be exceptionally difficult, but crazier things have happened I suppose.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’m crapping on him because he was a ghost after the playoffs ended. A little hot streak doesn’t suddenly erase that. If he keeps up this play going into next year then great. But Kassian has his reputation for a reason. If Hitchcock or whoever the next coach is slots him lower in the lineup, do you think he keeps this up?
His ghost streak he wasn't a detriment on the ice either though

Reactions: Tw0Shoes

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
defend what? all I've said is he's producing lol

everyone and their dog knows the Oilers have to upgrade their wingers

Kassian is on a nice heater right now, lets enjoy it like Chiasson's early season heater. Players who play lower in the lineup who go on nice heaters like this are valuable in their own right, they can play up and down the line-up and like being at a craps table you run the heater out. He can play with McDavid while he's hot, when he cools off try to get someone else on a heater.

And its obvious his teammates love him so let this play out and see where it goes. A player like Kassian is a must have come playoff time when the hitting is for real, and the chips are all in. The Oilers needs players like Kassian in the same vein as we need scoring wingers, its all part of the puzzle and we are missing a lot of pieces right now.

We all know the Oilers need consistent scoring wingers and hopefully that is coming starting next year. Until then I am enjoying seeing Kassian and his shit eating grin when he scores.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Kassian is on a nice heater right now, lets enjoy it like Chiasson's early season heater. Players who play lower in the lineup who go on nice heaters like this are valuable in their own right, they can play up and down the line-up and like being at a craps table you run the heater out. He can play with McDavid while he's hot, when he cools off try to get someone else on a heater.

And its obvious his teammates love him so let this play out and see where it goes. A player like Kassian is a must have come playoff time when the hitting is for real, and the chips are all in. The Oilers needs players like Kassian in the same vein as we need scoring wingers, its all part of the puzzle and we are missing a lot of pieces right now.

We all know the Oilers need consistent scoring wingers and hopefully that is coming starting next year. Until then I am enjoying seeing Kassian and his **** eating grin when he scores.
Last night Rousell was pushing McDavid around and Kassian comes right over and just gives him the death eyes right in front of me. Then Rousell turns and starts crying to the ref. Loved it

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hmm, so in reaction to my own post about this being "too high a hill to climb", I looked at the remaining schedule for the Oilers and the Wild. We have 1 game in hand, and have a LOT easier schedule the rest of the way. Based on current standings, our average opponent ranking is 17.5, whereas the Wild's is 12.6. That is a fairly big difference actually. Our last 2 games of the year are against San Jose and Calgary, who might both be resting players by that point (if 1st in the Pacific is already decided by that time).

If we win our game in hand (yes, that is a big if) we have to make up 6 points over the other 15 games (as we don't hold the tie-breaker). Again, this will be exceptionally difficult, but crazier things have happened I suppose.

This is kind of odd timing for this post. The Wild just beat the best team in the league easily. So that the difficulty of schedule indicator would appear to mean very little, as it does every season. What DOES matter, invariably, at this time of season is stagger in pts. So that teams that are in spots at this time tend to remain in playoff spots at this time.

We've gone 6-2-2 against weak opposition in last 10gp. Wild have simply matched going an identical record. We've made up zero pts ground.

What happens often at this time of year is that teams that desperately need pts tend to beat the clubs that do not require the pts. Its actually potentially beneficial to have what looks like a difficult schedule at this time of year because the clubs already set are not playing with the same urgency. This increases in last 10GP where set teams even start to give key players some rest in prep for the playoffs. I can only assume the Wild and the Stars will finish with winning records or much better, the rest of the way. The Oilers real problem is all the divisional spots are out of reach and so that everything depends on what Minny, Dallas, and even Arizona do.

All that we've accomplished in last 10GP is limit the amount of fish in the WC pond. But we're still a far reach from spawning up to that pond..

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Just so I'm not missing out on the group think, we're upset that Kassian is succeeding?

Edit: By the way, the effort on the first goal from Gagner, winning a puck battle and setting up Chiasson, another good play from a player who should not have spent the entire year in the AHL.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Just so I'm not missing out on the group think, we're upset that Kassian is succeeding?

Edit: By the way, the effort on the first goal from Gagner, winning a puck battle and setting up Chiasson, another good play from a player who should not have spent the entire year in the AHL.
no, just the same whiners that find ways to complain about every single thing...in this case, he should have produced at this clip in January

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
no, just the same whiners that find ways to complain about every single thing...in this case, he should have produced at this clip in January
I mean I'm not happy that 2 of the top-6 wingers are Chiasson and Kassian, but as long as they're producing/being effective, that'll do?

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

No selling low is so oilers. This would be the first time in a decade they sold high.

It's like people are forgetting for a year and a half Kassian looked like he was in a coma. Yea it's nice he is playing good but one month doesn't out do 1.5 years.

How many times in the decade of darkness have we seen a player have a good 10-20 games towarda the end of the year. Everyone pencils them in for that level of play next year and it's never once worked out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->