Worst draft year of all time

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
I think I'll go with 1979.. psht, seven future 1000-point careers in that class... what a disaster :D

But yeah, I was going to say 1975, that's the one I had in mind when I made the thread up. The best player from that draft was picked in round 15 (Dave Taylor)*, and suffice to say I've never seen another group of first round picks that so severely lacked NHL success.

*Honorable mention goes to Denis Maruk, a 2nd round pick

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
the 1999 draft was a complete wash for Buffalo.....until you see....

138 Buffalo Ryan Miller G Soo Indians (NAHL) 66 0 2 2 0

Zetterberg was also a 7th in that draft....but holy crap, the amount of people that never played a game...

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
I think I'll go with 1979.. psht, seven future 1000-point careers in that class... what a disaster :D

But yeah, I was going to say 1975, that's the one I had in mind when I made the thread up. The best player from that draft was picked in round 15 (Dave Taylor)*, and suffice to say I've never seen another group of first round picks that so severely lacked NHL success.

*Honorable mention goes to Denis Maruk, a 2nd round pick

And Willi Plett as a 4th rounder

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
In terms of an actual year of first-time eligible players, 1989 was terrible. The class of players born between September 16, 1970 and September 15, 1971 rates among the worst ever. If not for the growing optimism surrounding the USSR, this draft tanks hard. The first round still causes nightmares for scouts, with only four top-end players: Sundin, Guerin, Holik and Kolzig. After Foote, the second round was completely forgettable (Dafoe was a one-year wonder).

Lidstrom went in the third round, but he had already been passed over once. Fedorov was also passed over once thanks to concerns over whether he'd ever play. Nobody thought Bure was eligible until the Canucks got an insider tip. Irbe went in the 10th round and Konstantinov went in the 11th round, but again, those players had been passed over several times, and were only available due to past uncertainty surrounding the USSR.

1997 won't be the worst, but it might be the most disappointing. Two years before it, scouts were talking about it as the best draft since 1979. The rose was off the bloom a little by the time 1996 rolled around, but it was still viewed as potentially the best of the decade. The top end from 1997 is terrific, but the depth is terrible beyond the top 10-15 picks, and it likely had more big-time disappointments than any other draft in history.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Rather Gingerly 1*

The '75 and '76 drafts were weaker because they were raided in '74 which allowed 18 years old to be drafted for just that one year.

A few examples would be Bryan Trottier or Mario Tremblay

Reactions: scott clam

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
1997 won't be the worst, but it might be the most disappointing. Two years before it, scouts were talking about it as the best draft since 1979. The rose was off the bloom a little by the time 1996 rolled around, but it was still viewed as potentially the best of the decade. The top end from 1997 is terrific, but the depth is terrible beyond the top 10-15 picks, and it likely had more big-time disappointments than any other draft in history.

1997 is the thinnest draft in history, by a wide margin. First 12 picks were great, after that it was a wasteland.

After pick #12, 25 players out of that draft went on to become NHL regulars. Compare that to 1996 - generally considered the worst draft in recent history - where there were 42 future NHL regulars selected past that point, fully 70% more. Most years it'll be over 50 regulars in that stretch of picks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
1975 was a year where the draft age was raised to 20 years old before later being put back down. So the entire draft was almost entirely players who went undrafted in previous drafts.

ResearchFlatEarth

Jul 27, 2021
Keith Yandle signing with the Flyers today sent me down a bad NHL draft spiral, because Yandle is chasing Doug Jarvis' iron-man streak. Jarvis was drafted in 1975 by my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs, and he ended up winning a Selke with the Habs of course. Jarvis was one of the few good players from 1975, that was a brutal draft, I'll say 99 was the worst but it's close between 99 and 96.

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Keith Yandle signing with the Flyers today sent me down a bad NHL draft spiral, because Yandle is chasing Doug Jarvis' iron-man streak. Jarvis was drafted in 1975 by my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs, and he ended up winning a Selke with the Habs of course. Jarvis was one of the few good players from 1975, that was a brutal draft, I'll say 99 was the worst but it's close between 99 and 96.

With the Caps actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad