Worst Draft Day Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

gongshow

Jun 9, 2004
etown
:cry: For the oilers, I still remember the chants in the skyreach centre when slats came up and the fans were chanting for Doan but instead, they picked Steve Kelly :shakehead, worst oil draft mistake besides mikhnov

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
with schremp still on the board the islanders select nokelainen

with parise still on the board the islanders select nilsson

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JNRhockeyGURU said:

isnt nilson a great prospect anymore, gotta admit i lost his track.. could an answer to my question tough..

scout46

Jun 2, 2002
Calgary
Leafs
1999 - Cereda 24th - Havlat went 26th.
1998 - Antropov 10th - Tanguay 12th, Gagne 22nd, Van Ryn 26th, Gomez 27th.

Every team has their moments but the Leafs went off the charts to get both those players and probably could have had both of them with their next picks in the respective years.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The Toronto Maple Leafs select Luca Cereda....2 picks later the Ottawa Senators select Martin Havlat

Duster

Feb 20, 2004
gongshow said:
:cry: For the oilers, I still remember the chants in the skyreach centre when slats came up and the fans were chanting for Doan but instead, they picked Steve Kelly :shakehead, worst oil draft mistake besides mikhnov

I was hoping the Habs would take Doan, so were the Habs. You should have seen the faces at the Habs table when Winnipeg took him...

Wickenheiser instead of Denis Savard hurt too...

Edit: added Wickenheiser

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
The Canadiens select Ward while Hossa gets picked right after.
The Canadiens pick Ryan instad of Iginla
The Canadiens pick Matt Higgins instad of Briere
The Canadiens pick Chouinard instad of Gagne

:shakehead

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
For the Islanders, in 1994 when we traded up to get Lindros. I hate eric and his brother turned out to be a walking concusion case. They way overpaid him borhter as well.

I guess the only saving grace is where the islanders originally picked there was only 1 good player taken within the next 10 picks(Mattias Ohlund by vancouver right after them and i assume the islanders would have passed on him).

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Anything past the 3rd round for the Wild...

Minnesota Wild pick Marcin Kolusz...WHO????

Oh and Minnesota picks AJ Thelen with Stafford on board...

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Crusher20 said:
isnt nilson a great prospect anymore, gotta admit i lost his track.. could an answer to my question tough..

Nilsson just hasn't played very much in Sweden, he's been bouncing around between playing on the 4th line in the SEL and playing in the 2nd division. He still has a much better offensive upside than Parise. Comparing the two players is like comparing apples and oranges. As for the Nokielainen pick...this is getting ridiculous... its like every Islanders fan jumps on MM's back as soon as a player picked behind the Isles outscores the Isles pick. Nokielainen is our next 2nd line center.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Caps taking Brad Church 17th overall in 1995 I think it was. The next pick and the guy I was screaming for: Petr Sykora to the New Jersey Devils.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
most of the 90's is a painful blur for Canuck fans (besides the Sedins/Ohlund, maybe forgetting one or two)

Nathan Smith
Josh Holden
etc..

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
JNRhockeyGURU said:

I laugh at all the people who trash the Islanders for not drafting Parise, yet, still don't have enough of an independant mind to realize that San Jose traded up to draft Steve Bernier after Nilsson went to the Isles and before Parise went to NJ. You Pierre McGuire clones should start thinking for yourselves.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Steve Kelly over Shane Doan, without a doubt.

Honourable mentions: Jason Bonsignore, Joe Hulbig, Micheal Henrich, Michel Riesen... heck, most of the Oilers first rounders in the 90's.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
1) 1999 - The Islanders Personel who was to announce that the 8th overall pick was being used to select Taylor Pyatt - but instead said his dad's name (Nelson Pyatt)

2) 2003 - Darryl Sutter's first National TV appearance was used to depict a jubilant Sutter actually hugging #9 overall Dion Phaneuf on the podium.

3) 1998 - When Rico Fata is announced as the 6th overall pick of the Flames, the Jumbotron in the arena unflatteringly read "lacks hockey sense".

The Whole 1996 draft. Everyone kept saying how awful of a draft it was back then. As it turned out they were right. Alexandre Volchkov taken 4th by Washington, even David Polie thought he was rolling the dice with his attitude. But my worst memeory as a Devils fan was 1994. Nobody in the building knew who Vadim Sharifijanov was. I thought the pick was lousy then, and it turned out to be pretty lousy as it turned out. But our second round pick that year was Patrik Elias. More than made up for it.

pinnaclewm

Jun 23, 2005
Toronto
2003 & 2004 Draft where I just sat there and waited until the Leafs finally got a pick.

2003 hurt the most cause it was such an amazingly deep draft!

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
wow! to that guy who accused me of not having a mind of my own and being a pierre maguire....NO!
every year there a few players that i would be estatic to see drop into the islanders lap, and the last two years those two players going into the draft were both schremp and parise. Now i'm very happy with the nokelainen pick by itself, but just the fact that schremp, a player whom i've been following since he was 14 was still on the board when my favorite team went up to pick...that was my personal bad draft memory! god damn, has nothing to do with schremp having 90 points, and Nokelainen only having a few, because i do realize they are totally differnet competition, at different levels, in different continents. In addition, I do know that stats aren't everything---so for that person who accused me of comparing stats...well again not a conisideration for me! JUST A PERSONAL BAD DRAFT DAY MEMORY

The Nelson/Taylor Pyatt story reminds me of another funny draft day scenario...Nikita Alexeev going up and down the aisle looking for a way on to the floor! That was great!

I'm still waiting for a player to trip going onto/off the stage

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
3) 1998 - When Rico Fata is announced as the 6th overall pick of the Flames, the Jumbotron in the arena unflatteringly read "lacks hockey sense".

:biglaugh:

dunno, i don't have a real "bad" draft memory...i wasn't too happy when the rangers picked montoya last year, but i'm ok with it now. i had more of an issue with pierre mcguire's rambling criticism of the pick because while i didn't like it a lot, he was just being stupid

turnbuckle*

"I was hoping the Habs would take Doan, so were the Habs. You should have seen the faces at the Habs table when Winnipeg took him...

Wickenheiser instead of Denis Savard hurt too...

The Canadiens select Ward while Hossa gets picked right after.
The Canadiens pick Ryan instad of Iginla
The Canadiens pick Matt Higgins instad of Briere
The Canadiens pick Chouinard instad of Gagne"

I was not disappointed to see Wick picked over Savard. Wick was without a doubt one of the greatest Western Hockey League players ever, an absolute stud. Every team in the NHL would have picked him first overall that year. 6-1, 200 pouinds, 89 goals and 170 points as a 17-18-year-old, literally led his junior team to the Memorial Cup with 40 points in 18 WCHL playoff games. He was so dominant that Mike Keenan threw the final game of the Memorial Cup round-robin tournament against Cornwall so that Peterborough wouldn't have to face him in the final. Of course, the Royals ended up beating the Petes in the final, making Keenan look like a fool.

Fact is, he was mishandled by the Montreal staff, who had a moron named Irving Grundman running the team. Wick was a natural, and what did the Hab organization do? They kept him with the big club because of media pressure, and sat him in the stands. He didn't develop; he stagnated, then he got depressed, then developed a substance abuse problem. The Habs totally mishandled the situation, and then dealt him to St. Louis for a stiff named Perry Turnbull. Wick was coming around in St. Lou to a certain extenrt until he was hit by a car while crossing the street and blowing out his knee.

I wasn't disappointed to see Ward picked over Hossa; Ward was the fourth ranked NA skater described by Bob McKenzie and others as a warrior. Hossa was 18th ranked overall by THN (the best source at the time because of Mckenzie), mainly because of concerns about his disregard for defence. He was said to have never seen his own goalie, LOL.

AS for Chewy over Gagne, how many people out there honestly knew at the time that Gagne was going to be that much better? Chewy was higher ranked by THN and CSB, he was bigger, had scored more, his dad had played in the league........sheet happens.

I must say I was disappointed when Matt Higgins was picked over Briere. Living in west Quebec at the time, I was well aware of Briere's success, and knew he was one of the few players from a crappy draft that could produce at the NHL level.

I was also disappointed to see Ryan picked over Iginla haven seen his impressive play in the Memorial Cup. Doan was my first choice of course, but Iginla looked equally impressive in the Kamloops games I'd seen. I wasn't that torn up about Ryan being picked tho. 6-1, 200 pounds, 50 goals, 110 points and 200 penalty minute as a 17-year-old impressed the hell out of me even if I hadn't seen him play.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
JNRhockeyGURU said:

I'd take Nokelainen over Schremp again in a heartbeat. No question, no regrets.

And as for Parise, the Isles knew they were taking a gamble with Nilsson. The risk/reward factor still stands and player with Markus Naslund potential holds more of a reward than Parise no matter how much his development has slowed since draft day. I'd rather have Parise right now, but ask me again in 5 years.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
With the first overall pick the Senators draft . . . . . . . Alexandre Daigle. Of course, at the time, it seemed like it was going to be the best draft we'd ever have. What I'd give to go back in time and trade that pick for a Lindros-type package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->