NFL: Worst Contracts

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Want to make a list of sorts for the worst contracts in the NFL. Now I will be going by the original terms, but you can go by whatever you like. I.e Brees was originally owed only 20-25 million this season before 125 restructures put him at 30.

Starting Off -

Jay Cutler 7 years/126.7 Million (Wtf were the Bears Thinking...)
Joe Flacco 6 years/120.6 Milllion (Awful but came off a good playoff run/title)
Jared Allen 4 years/32 Million

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Haynesworth easily if we're talking all time. A deal so horrifying both sides regret it.

Best thing is Haynesworth basically signed his career's death warrant the day he was introduced;

"You're not going to remember Albert Haynesworth as a bust."

I mean, you're pretty much asking for it with that. :laugh:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Cutler deal is fine especially with declining #

One year of dysfunction under Trestman lead to a lot of "What a bad contract" stuff but that faded away rather quickly

Also as always the 100M+ number is misleading as actual guaranteed money on deal is only 54M most of which has already been paid out

And I haven't heard any negative views on Flacco contract from any major media folks or Raven fans

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

One year of dysfunction under Trestman lead to a lot of "What a bad contract" stuff but that faded away rather quickly

Also as always the 100M+ number is misleading as actual guaranteed money on deal is only 54M most of which has already been paid out

And I haven't heard any negative views on Flacco contract from any major media folks or Raven fans

Its still a pretty bad deal considering gets similar money to Rodgers, people were saying it was bad when he signed it, he's a mid tier qb, with the money guys like Dalton and Kapernick got (a loooot less guaranteed) its definitely an overpayment.

Flaccos contract is definitely one of the worst, his cap hit is insane

Not that it matters that much to over-guarantee a qb, half the time you cant even cut them because theres nothing else out there.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Flacco delivered and got paid. Not sure there is a Ravens fan out there that would take away 2012 in exchange for that contract.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
harvin and vick deserve a mention.

of current contracts, maxwell and wallace. i guess murray too.. and another eagle, riley cooper.

Which Vick contract? The first was fine IMO. He was worth every penny, obviously before he turned that into a dog fighting ring.

He gets paid as much as an elite QB but he is an average one. Its not like had a great Super Bowl run like Flacco or had elite-level seasons like Stafford.

Flacco delivered and got paid. Not sure there is a Ravens fan out there that would take away 2012 in exchange for that contract.

There probably isnt, but its still an awful contract.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Jared Allen? When he signed that he was coming off 7 consecutive 11+ sack seasons. It's Chicago's fault they didn't want to use him at DE.

And the amount of hate Cutler gets is unreal. They can cut him next year for basically nothing. His cap hit next year will be 15th among QBs at $17m. It would be lower, but Luck hasn't signed an extension, Brady leaves money on the table, and some guys haven't been signed yet.

Joe Flacco's cap hit, meanwhile, is nearly double that of Cutlers at $28.5m. It goes up to $31m while Cutler's actually drops to $16m. The Ravens can't even cut Flacco before 2018 without eating that much in dead money, and it'd still cost $5 million post June 1 2018 to do that.

Meanwhile, one guy is coming off a significant knee injury and the other had a mini resurgence. Yeah, Baltimore won the SB with Flacco, but it had a whole lot more to do with their defense, Rahim Moore, and extremely poor coverage on jump balls than Flacco himself.

The two contracts aren't even on the same planet.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Problem for me is if you have a **** contract in the NFL you can just terminate it. You may have to dish out the guaranteed money but if you look at NFL contracts in comparison to other sports bad ones aren't a big deal.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Jared Allen? When he signed that he was coming off 7 consecutive 11+ sack seasons. It's Chicago's fault they didn't want to use him at DE.

And the amount of hate Cutler gets is unreal. They can cut him next year for basically nothing. His cap hit next year will be 15th among QBs at $17m. It would be lower, but Luck hasn't signed an extension, Brady leaves money on the table, and some guys haven't been signed yet.

Joe Flacco's cap hit, meanwhile, is nearly double that of Cutlers at $28.5m. It goes up to $31m while Cutler's actually drops to $16m. The Ravens can't even cut Flacco before 2018 without eating that much in dead money, and it'd still cost $5 million post June 1 2018 to do that.

Meanwhile, one guy is coming off a significant knee injury and the other had a mini resurgence. Yeah, Baltimore won the SB with Flacco, but it had a whole lot more to do with their defense, Rahim Moore, and extremely poor coverage on jump balls than Flacco himself.

The two contracts aren't even on the same planet.

We did use him at DE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad