Worst Coaches in Franchise History?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Remember when Hitchcock was an assistant coach in his first stint with the Flyers? Players hated him so much that they would sometimes trip his fat butt on the ice so they could watch him flop around like an orca on dry land.....

Obviously one of the better head coaches we had despite his focus on D to the detriment of the offense. Also despite his favoring vets which cost us Williams and in some respects Sharp and Seidenberg....

Him and Clarke were also the two stooges that created that situation of the season that shall not be mentioned. To add insult we lost the draft and got JVR instead of Kane....
Hitchcock basically forced Sharp out of town.

Seidenberg was more of an entire organizational impatience problem at the time (starting with Ed and his desire to win another cup).

Williams was a little bit different, imo. He was coming off season ending knee surgery (multiple torn ligaments, if I remember correctly) in an era where that kind of injury was still ending careers. They also got desperate for a defenseman when it looked like they had a potential cup winning roster. Williams going on to play another 15 years with multiple cups and a Conn Smythe for a guy that was a wack job and wouldn't last definitely stings, but at the time, it wasn't a bad move.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I can't remember the details between Sharp and Hitch but I do recall some animosity. That was a killer for the org letting him go...

I was mad when they gave up on Williams. Even with the injury he still had wheels. The guy would never stop moving his feet. A Lavi system type player...puck pressure. Just loved his skating. I had him pegged like Bob to turn out to be a great player despite naysayers. I think Hitch didn't like his 200 foot game....wasn't too his liking. Preferred vets bc they did what he wanted. Williams was more of a free wheeler. Hitch was a control freak ...too structured ultimately with his D.

Seidenberg was just an afterthought back then in the org.. although showed promise. Loved his point shot.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
In Flyers history I read about a lousy coach they had before they had their Cup runs in the 1970's. The coaches name was Vic Stasiuk. He took the soft drinks machine out of the dressing room, and he was as equally terrible at coaching his up and coming team as the current clown who holds the position of head coach.
In my estimation, the worst coach of all time for the Flyers is Berube!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad