Worst Coaches in Franchise History?

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Berube is obvious. I also think Stevens was a very bad coach.

I am sure there are others much longer ago that were terrible as well

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I think I was more miserable when Stevens was coach than Berube for the sheer fact that with Stevens, it seemed he had the support of the GM, president, etc so it was harder to gauge when he'd get canned (sort of like Hakstol now). With Berube, you saw it coming - you knew he wasn't going to be here long so you just had to wait until he was gone.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think Berube was worse than Stevens and is probably the worst coach in team history. I'd put Hakstol second.

Berube absolutely stunted the development of Sean Couturier. I wasn't a fan of the hire in the first place. I loved Chief as much as the next guy, and he worked hard, but he never struck me as the smartest tool in the shed. Lavy was one of the few progressive coaches the team has ever had, and Berube was a throwback.

Paul Holmgren wasn't too hot either, but he took over a declining team and the cupboard was bare.

One of the worst short-term coaching jobs I've seen from a Flyers coach was in the 1995 ECF when Terry Murray's team seemed as if they had no idea what the neutral zone trap even though the Devils played it all year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think I was more miserable when Stevens was coach than Berube for the sheer fact that with Stevens, it seemed he had the support of the GM, president, etc so it was harder to gauge when he'd get canned (sort of like Hakstol now). With Berube, you saw it coming - you knew he wasn't going to be here long so you just had to wait until he was gone.

The way that Berube actually had a plan, and the team was executing it, and that was how he wanted them to play really ground on me. As well as the fact that Homer must have been presented that plan and thought "yes, good, this is definitely what we should do contrary to the direction of the league." And that he had created a situation that made such a plan remotely attractive to begin with.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I think Berube was worse than Stevens and is probably the worst coach in team history. I'd put Hakstol second.

Berube absolutely stunted the development of Sean Couturier. I wasn't a fan of the hire in the first place. I loved Chief as much as the next guy, and he worked hard, but he never struck me as the smartest tool in the shed. Lavy was one of the few progressive coaches the team has ever had, and Berube was a throwback.

Paul Holmgren wasn't too hot either, but he took over a declining team and the cupboard was bare.

One of the worst short-term coaching jobs I've seen from a Flyers coach was in the 1995 ECF when Terry Murray's team seemed as if they had no idea what the neutral zone trap even though the Devils played it all year.

Berube is undoubtedly the worst coach I've seen coach this team but I still didn't feel as shitty about the coaching situation under him purely because I knew his days here were numbered. Not knowing how long we have to deal with Hakstol (which was similar with Stevens) is more unsettling to me than watching a coach you know will be fired and just counting down the days.

Reactions: Amorgus

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
For me, coaches that i remember watching:

1. Stevens
2. Berube
3. Hakstol

Hakstol brings back those memories of absolutely hating how this team is coached and the lack of emotion from our coach. They are like twins.

Fans of these non-descript players with borderline mediocre skill; like they are living an NHL dream vicariously through them. Randy Jones = Brandon Manning

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Terry Simpson....

Cash kind of sucked too...

Stevens was only good for the Romper Room kids until they started running the show. Lavi had to get them conditioned and disciplined....

Berube, Holmgren and Barber were all pretty lame as well.

Hak right now takes the cake that Stevens and the others baked bc his brand of lame and boneheaded hockey is not even close to Flyers standards when the org was most successful. He is really the worst coach for me bc he neutered my passion for Flyers hockey outright.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Stevens and Homer at least got to the ECF with teams that weren't abundantly talented; let's see if Hak can do that before saying he's as "good" as them.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I started watching when Terry Murray was the coach. He was good up until he had the choking comment and got spanked by Detroit in the SCF. He blinked, began his downfall.

In a reverse way, it's more difficult to pick the coaches that I did like looking back on it. Neilson, Hitchcock, Laviolette all gave me confidence they would prepare the team to win. Neilson got sick, bummer. Hitch and Lavi are short tenure coaches, given. (Lavi is in year 4 with Nashville, here's to hoping he's figured out how to stay somewhere for a minute, that team is looking good and fun to watch from afar.)

All the rest really is just versions of bad slop. Stevens is at the bottom of the dislike pile however because there was some merit to the coaching in the beginning, he did not grow up as fast as his players though, lost control.

Barber was an unmitigated disaster, as was Ramsey. Cashman was in over his head, as was Beurbe. Hakstol is both in over his head (unable to adjust his tactics to optimize the talent he's given) and an unmitigated disaster (really poor personnel choices, both in line-ups and ice-time utilization).

Hakstol has to be the worst Flyers coach of recent memory ('95-current).

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I will [briefly] defend Berube
you look at our roster now and that from 14/15, and we're so much better now-I don't think Scotty Bowman takes us to the playoffs with that team
he also did a very nice job during his one season coaching in the AHL
that doesn't mean I think he was good as our coach

Reactions: kelmitchell

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I will [briefly] defend Berube
you look at our roster now and that from 14/15, and we're so much better now-I don't think Scotty Bowman takes us to the playoffs with that team
he also did a very nice job during his one season coaching in the AHL
that doesn't mean I think he was good as our coach

Hey, I think Beurbe is a guy who can make hay as an assistant or AHL HC, but he was outclassed, and too stubborn to jive as an NHL coach. I don't put Beurbe down as one of the worst, but he was far from good, very far.

Classic - great lieutenant, horrible general.

Reactions: mmvvpp

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Stevens appeared to be quite knowledgable but the job clearly came to early for him to succeed.

Berube was less technical, just going on instinct. Not enough substance to have the skilled players buy in.

The jury is still out on Hakstol but in the end noone cares about losers.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Berube was bad but he had a pretty trash team and they still owned the pens under him because he let them actually play with emotion.

Hak has a lot of talent to choose from and elects to go with trash.

The fact that 3 of our 4 past coaches were Stevens, Berube, and Hak tells you everything wrong with the Flyers.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Berube was bad but he had a pretty trash team and they still owned the pens under him because he let them actually play with emotion.

Hak has a lot of talent to choose from and elects to go with trash.

The fact that 3 of our 4 past coaches were Stevens, Berube, and Hak tells you everything wrong with the Flyers.

Hak is far worse than Berube.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Barber was bad, but vs hope for an actual cup and needing to develop talent in the pipeline, Hak is a disaster. Keeping him vs not may be the difference between a cup or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad