Prospect Info: Worst Case Scenario Draft

Who would you take at #8?

• Total voters

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Or he could be Ty Rattie 2.0
There just isn't a large enough sample size of his play away from Hughes. Is he just passing the puck to Jack right away and getting open for a pass? Ie
Kassian/Maroon/Rattie with McDavid.
Rattie was a scoring machine in juniors and look at him now.

Rattie had 28 goals in 67 games in the dub. Caufield has 70 in the USDTP.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Or he could be Ty Rattie 2.0
There just isn't a large enough sample size of his play away from Hughes. Is he just passing the puck to Jack right away and getting open for a pass? Ie
Kassian/Maroon/Rattie with McDavid.
Rattie was a scoring machine in juniors and look at him now.
Rattie wasn’t a scoring machine pre draft.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Sorry Zaddy, but you just keep going after Podkolzin here....the hate is getting thick. When Podkolzin is on the ice the play goes through him to the net. He's not afraid to take it there, and is actually as elite as they come at that skill. Watch some of the highlight reels of Podkolzin...several highlights of him passing to teammates(he especially likes to go cross seam on the powerplay). His playmaking is underrated because he is so dominant with the puck on his stick, and his powerful skating along with elite ability to drive the puck to the net without hesitation often is the best play when you can do it. He causes defenses to back off, and he has as good a shot as anyone in the draft outside of Kaliyev, so when the defense backs off he can take advantage of the open space to get that lethal shot off. Because he can handle the puck and dominate physically with it on his stick he creates space and opportunity for his linemates. On top of it all, he never gets outworked. He competes at both ends of the ice. He's the guy you want on the ice whether up down or tied with little time left on the clock.

Any team that passes on this guy because of their own lack of ability to develop, train, assimilate a player into their culture is going to look awfully foolish 10 years from now.

There is no hate. I brought up Podkolzin because the poster I replied to said he'd take Podkolzin over Caufield and I just can't agree with that. As I said, I'm willing to bet that Caufield will score more goals (and points) in the NHL than him. Time will tell who's right :)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The words "Caufield" and "safe bet" don't belong in the same sentence. Ridiculously undersized winger whose stats were inflated by the first overall pick being considered as a top ten talent.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Krebs. He's a speedy and shifty winger, with leadership qualities and a pass-first mentality. I know people want shooters/snipers because McDavid, but I was very impressed watching him play at the U-18.
He's also an Alberta boy, but he's from Calgary. He might loathe playing for his childhood rival team

I would say Caufield, but I'm almost 100% certain he's going top 6. He's been on a tear this year, especially in the WJC. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go 4th

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Either Boldy or Cozens for me. Caufield close 3rd.

Best route could be trading down from #8 to someone desperate for Caufield. I could see both MIN at #12 and ARI at #14 get hungry and look to jump ahead to get him.

Dropping from 8 to 12-14 if it shed salary and/or picked up another asset.

If MIN would offer their #12 pick plus Louie Belpedio (RHD), Connor Dewar (LW) or possibly Kirill Kaprizov (who may stay in KHL).

I doubt ARI would offer any of their existing young players or Hayton. (Wild card could be Liam Kirk, the Brit...who seems like some love, others do not). But ARI could take some salary.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Would add...

If EDM moved down from 8 to 12, here is who I assume would be off the board in this scenario

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Dach
6. Zegras
7. Krebs

8. Caufield (seems like a player teams would trade up to get...either you buy he can do it NHL, or you don't)

9. Cozens (good fit for Anaheim that could use center)

10. Boldy (could also see Broberg here, but they have been scouting Boldy for years...even drafted his High School teammate in later rounds last draft).

11. York (assuming PHI stays put and takes best D-man on their board).

That would leave EDM to choose between guys like Podkolzin and a bunch of good D-men in Harley, Broberg, Soderstrom, Sieder, etc (or possibly Newhook)

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Would add...

If EDM moved down from 8 to 12, here is who I assume would be off the board in this scenario

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Dach
6. Zegras
7. Krebs

8. Caufield (seems like a player teams would trade up to get...either you buy he can do it NHL, or you don't)

9. Cozens (good fit for Anaheim that could use center)

10. Boldy (could also see Broberg here, but they have been scouting Boldy for years...even drafted his High School teammate in later rounds last draft).

11. York (assuming PHI stays put and takes best D-man on their board).

That would leave EDM to choose between guys like Podkolzin and a bunch of good D-men in Harley, Broberg, Soderstrom, Sieder, etc (or possibly Newhook)

A lot of people including me are expecting Podkolzin to go top 5. If he falls to 8 you need to take him. Caufield might be fine, but I think the perceived size concern drops him out of the top 10.I think they get a good player no matter what though, and it turn out they can trade back a few and still get the one they want.

2019 NHL Draft Rankings

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
A lot of people including me are expecting Podkolzin to go top 5. If he falls to 8 you need to take him. Caufield might be fine, but I think the perceived size concern drops him out of the top 10.I think they get a good player no matter what though, and it turn out they can trade back a few and still get the one they want.

2019 NHL Draft Rankings

(Would bet Podkolzin > Krebs...but was working with what post had given me, which was Krebs at 7).

I do think there will be teams that will look trade up for Caufield. The thesis is this...either you think he CAN score goals in NHL (would be worth a top-5 pick) or he cannot (would have little business in 1st round since his skillset would not fit on any bottom-6 line). If you think the former, and have picks 12-15, it would be worth moving up to 7 or 8 to grab him.

So, if Caufield is available at #8 could be great for EDM - could fetch healthy sum for that pick. I don't think the more projectable players like Cozens, Boldy would incite similar bidding war.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Krebs. He's a speedy and shifty winger, with leadership qualities and a pass-first mentality. I know people want shooters/snipers because McDavid, but I was very impressed watching him play at the U-18.
He's also an Alberta boy, but he's from Calgary. He might loathe playing for his childhood rival team

I would say Caufield, but I'm almost 100% certain he's going top 6. He's been on a tear this year, especially in the WJC. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go 4th
Sounds like Sam Bennett to me.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The words "Caufield" and "safe bet" don't belong in the same sentence. Ridiculously undersized winger whose stats were inflated by the first overall pick being considered as a top ten talent.
Sounds like other fans when referring to Draisaitl. I'm sure you agree with them?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Caufield,

Peyton Krebs is massively overrated around here. I would easily take Caufield over him in a heartbeat.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016

2019 NHL Draft Rankings

It's like Debrincat all over again. I bet teams are kicking themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->