Worst/Best Calder Winners

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Thought about this the other day - which Calder winners went on to have the best careers, and which went on to do nothing of note or just have average careers?

Looking at the post-lockout winners, you have Ovechkin, Malkin, Kane, MackInnon and Panarin that went on to become top 10/15 players. Then guys like Hubderdeau, Matthews and Barzal heading in that direction.

On the flip side theres Steve Mason who was even nominated for the Vezina but hasn't played since 2018. Tyler Myers, Ekblad and Skinner have been steady players but in the case of Myers & Ekblad, not the #1 D-Men their teams thought they would be.

This is a discussion for both career-wise and season wise. Example - Raycrofts career was short, but his Calder winning year was outstanding.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
For worst, Raycroft is tempting. Some of the WW2 Calder winners are also weak.

Best winner is Bobby Orr.

Reactions: Tarantula

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Raycroft has a strong case for worst.

As for others that had just average careers or didn't do much of note:

Barret Jackman
Sergei Samsonov
Tyler Myers
Steve Mason
Probably not exactly fair to include him, but Bryan Berard

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
How does Raycroft have a strong case? Is it just hindsight because he didn't pan out?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
How does Raycroft have a strong case? Is it just hindsight because he didn't pan out?

That would be my guess, and its similar to Mason except Mason at least had a decent run as a starter. Raycroft had one more season as a starter after his rookie year, and being apart of the infamous Rask trade doesn't help him either. Steve Mason at least had another 8 seasons as a starter, including a 7th place Vezina finish.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Raycroft is easily the worst in the post-1967 era, and it isn't really all that close. In terms of NHL careers, Makarov would be the 2nd-worst, although that obviously comes with a huge asterisk as he's one of the greatest players of all time. Past that, you're looking at Willi Plett/Bryan Berard/Barrett Jackman/Steve Mason who all had pretty solid careers.

From the O6 era, Brit Selby, Jack Gelineau and Larry Regan would be the worst.

WW2 and prior, you have Ulcers McCool and Jack Quilty.

It's interesting how consistently excellent the careers of the ROY have been in the NHL in recent history relative to MLB which is far more of a crapshoot.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
That would be my guess, and its similar to Mason except Mason at least had a decent run as a starter. Raycroft had one more season as a starter after his rookie year, and being apart of the infamous Rask trade doesn't help him either. Steve Mason at least had another 8 seasons as a starter, including a 7th place Vezina finish.

Oh I just realised I misunderstood the topic. I thought we were talking worst calder winners and not the context of their entire careers. Yeah, Raycroft is definitely a winner here together with Brit Selby.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Something of a ranking of the best NHL careers of Calder Winners

1. Bobby Orr
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Ray Bourque
4. Alex Ovechkin
5. Glenn Hall
6. Martin Brodeur
7. Denis Potvin
8. Bryan Trottier
9. Terry Sawchuk
10. Mike Bossy
11. Syl Apps
12. Ken Dryden
13. Evgeni Malkin
14. Peter Forsberg
15. Frank Brimsek
16. Bernard Geoffrion
17. Patrick Kane
18. Teemu Selanne
19. Frank Mahovlich
20. Ed Belfour
21. Brian Leetch
22. Dave Keon
23. Tony Esposito
24. Peter Stastny
25. Gilbert Perreault

Pretty amazing that more than 1/5 of the recent HOH Top 100 list were former Calder winners!

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Raycroft is easily the worst in the post-1967 era, and it isn't really all that close. In terms of NHL careers, Makarov would be the 2nd-worst, although that obviously comes with a huge asterisk as he's one of the greatest players of all time. Past that, you're looking at Willi Plett/Bryan Berard/Barrett Jackman/Steve Mason who all had pretty solid careers.

From the O6 era, Brit Selby, Jack Gelineau and Larry Regan would be the worst.

WW2 and prior, you have Ulcers McCool and Jack Quilty.

It's interesting how consistently excellent the careers of the ROY have been in the NHL in recent history relative to MLB which is far more of a crapshoot.

McCool has the worst post-Calder career of anyone right?
Frank McCool Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

1 season with 222 GP the year after he won it, then nothing more.

Funny he actually backstopped the Cup winner in 1944-45, too. Goes to show just how crappy the league was at the time.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Good point. Andrew Bailey was AL ROY in 2009, out of baseball by 2017 and is now a coach. His 2009 NL counterpart, also out of baseball (well, a UFA).

Even guys like Barret Jackman managed to stick around for a while in the NHL despite peaking in their rookie year.

Oh I just realised I misunderstood the topic. I thought we were talking worst calder winners and not the context of their entire careers. Yeah, Raycroft is definitely a winner here together with Brit Selby.

I should have specified - will change the OP.

I'm open to discussing both career-wise, and that specific season. Mason for example obviously had an amazing rookie year that resulted in a Vezina nomination.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
McCool has the worst post-Calder career of anyone right?
Frank McCool Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

1 season with 222 GP the year after he won it, then nothing more.

Funny he actually backstopped the Cup winner in 1944-45, too. Goes to show just how crappy the league was at the time.

Yeah, anything 1942-45 basically has an asterisk beside it because 75% of the guys in the NHL would have been minor-leaguers in a full-strength league. McCool was only ever in the NHL because Turk Broda was in the army, while McCool's ulcers got him a medical exemption. As soon as Broda returned from Europe mid-way through the following season, McCool was back to the minors.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I should have specified - will change the OP.

I'm open to discussing both career-wise, and that specific season. Mason for example obviously had an amazing rookie year that resulted in a Vezina nomination.

Ok when it comes to his actual rookie season I don't see him as the worst. He was incredible for Boston that year. Bruins had no business being in the playoffs. Nick Boynton and Sean Odonnell were used as top-2 defensemen... I think JAckmans definitely were weaker and thats not saying Jackman was bad or anything.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Ok when it comes to his actual rookie season I don't see him as the worst. He was incredible for Boston that year. Bruins had no business being in the playoffs. Nick Boynton and Sean Odonnell were used as top-2 defensemen... I think JAckmans definitely were weaker and thats not saying Jackman was bad or anything.

From a Calder year performance standpoint, Jackman's is probably the worst, at least on paper. IIRC, it was a super weak year for rookies where only Zetterberg had more than 40pts, and was one of 2 20+ goal scorers, and a lot of the guys expected to have huge rookie years (Nash, Bouwmeester, Spezza?) were good to ok to didn't even spend the whole year in the NHL. I kind of remember it seemed like Jackman getting the Calder was an extra award for his D partner MacInnis after having a healthy and somewhat resurgent final elite season at 39YO.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
looking at how historical rookie of the year trends line up with the first overall draft pick.

i'm thinking about this relative to the NBA effect (15 of the last 30 NBA rookie of the years have been first overalls, 4 have been second overalls, 3 have been third overalls, 2 have been fourths, and 2 have been fifths, which leaves 2 sixths, 1 seventh, 1 ninth, 1 eleventh, and second round pick friggin' malcolm brogdon—they add up to 32 because there were two ties)

2019: (3rd) dahlin
2017: oston matthews (#2 laine 2nd)
2016: (3rd but missed half the year) mcdavid
2015: ekblad
2014: mackinnon
2012: (2nd) RNH (#2 landeskog won)
2008: pat kane
2006: (2nd) crosby
2003: (3rd) nash
2002: (2nd) kovalchuk
1989: (2nd) linden
1986: (2nd) clark
1985: mario
1982: hawerchuk
1979: bobby smith (#2 ryan walter 2nd, #3 wayne babych 3rd)
1974: potvin (#2 lysiak 2nd, #3 guevremont 4th)
1972: (3rd) harris
1971: perreault

second overalls who won the calder out of the draft: landeskog

first overalls who won the calder not in their draft years: ovechkin, berard,

second overalls who won the calder not in their draft years: huberdeau, malkin, heatley

EDIT: first overalls who were calder finalists not in their draft years: jovo (3rd), modano (2nd and under today's rules he would have won it)

to answer the thread's question, samsonov and drury back-to-back were the two weakest calder rookie years i remember seeing.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Of course.

Thats why with Raycroft, he had one of the better Calder seasons we've seen but one of the "worst" careers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If we're looking at worst seasons to win the Calder, Brit Selby wins in a runaway. 27 points as a 3rd liner.

Reactions: Hobnobs

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Something of a ranking of the best NHL careers of Calder Winners

1. Bobby Orr
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Ray Bourque
4. Alex Ovechkin
5. Glenn Hall
6. Martin Brodeur
7. Denis Potvin
8. Bryan Trottier
9. Terry Sawchuk
10. Mike Bossy
11. Syl Apps
12. Ken Dryden
13. Evgeni Malkin
14. Peter Forsberg
15. Frank Brimsek
16. Bernard Geoffrion
17. Patrick Kane
18. Teemu Selanne
19. Frank Mahovlich
20. Ed Belfour
21. Brian Leetch
22. Dave Keon
23. Tony Esposito
24. Peter Stastny
25. Gilbert Perreault

Pretty amazing that more than 1/5 of the recent HOH Top 100 list were former Calder winners!
Where’s Pavel Bure ?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Bryan Trottier for best career.
6 - Stanley cups as a player ( 1 more as a coach makes 7)
500 goals
1400 points
Many awards with his name on them
Only player ever with a 6 point period ( 4g 2a)
One of only a few with multiple 5 goal games
Played for my bestest favorite team the Isles
He could do everything on the ice and lay you out if your head was down .

Next I pick John Tavares. Never mind , he hasn't won anything .

LGI

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Bryan Trottier for best career.
6 - Stanley cups as a player ( 1 more as a coach makes 7)
500 goals
1400 points
Many awards with his name on them
Only player ever with a 6 point period ( 4g 2a)
One of only a few with multiple 5 goal games
Played for my bestest favorite team the Isles
He could do everything on the ice and lay you out if your head was down .

Next I pick John Tavares. Never mind , he hasn't won anything .

LGI

yeah, no. best career is Orr, followed by Lemieux

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... Some of the WW2 Calder winners are also weak.
Three of the four were not weak.
Yeah, anything 1942-45 basically has an asterisk beside it because 75% of the guys in the NHL would have been minor-leaguers in a full-strength league. McCool was only ever in the NHL because Turk Broda was in the army,...
1945 McCool was weak.

1944 Gus Bodnar was to some degree strong.
1943 Gaye Stewart was strong.
1942 Grant Warwick wasn't weak.

Gus Bodnar was traded to Chicago in 1947 (after finishing 6th in NHL assists in 1946) and was top-3 in Blackhawks assists in 1949 (5th in NHL assists, 7th in NHL points) and 1952 and then led the 1953 Hawks in game winners (with 5 - which trailed only Howe and Lach in the NHL) in helping secure their first playoff berth in seven seasons. More significantly, he was Bill Mosienko's pivot. Everyone references Mosienko's 3-fastest-ever goals in NHL history, but you have to dig into a history book to discover that it was Bodnar who won all three of those face-offs (two of them cleanly) and passed the puck to Mosienko. Bodnar had a 12-year NHL career, six of which are significant post-WWII production years. Not HHOF calibre, but certainly better than several modern Calder trophy winners have had.

Gaye Stewart has been a regular pick in the all-time drafts (ATD subboard here at History Board) because AFTER the WWII years (in 1943 he joined the war effort and didn't play the last two NHL seasons of the war) he became a Hart trophy runner-up in his 1st all-star season (1st in NHL goals, 2nd in points), later becoming a 2nd team all star (4th in goals and points); equally significant, he was tied for the Leaf lead in assists, 2nd in points, in Toronto's 1947 Stanley Cup playoffs victory. He then went to Chicago where he captained the Blackhawks for the 1948-49 season. The following year he was 3rd in Chicago goals. He was by no means a weak Calder winner.

Grant Warwick in 1947 was 2nd in Rangers goals and assists, representing his team in the NHL all-star game. In 1948 he was leading the Rangers in goals when he was traded to Boston where he finished the season the NHL leader in game-winning goals. The Bruins lost to the dynasty Leafs in the playoffs, Warwick assisting three times in the series. The next season, Warwick tied the team lead in goals and, more significantly, was the NHL leader in even-strength goals! That postseason he contributed two goals in the series but again the dynasty Leafs prevailed. He was traded to a great Habs squad which had Richard and Geoffrion at RW, and Warwick was sent to the AHL in his 9th NHL season. Warwick would go on to be a captain and hero of the 1954 Allan Cup Penticton Vees that went on to win the 1955 world champions, impressing the Soviets Red Army coach, a young Tarasov. He was inducted into the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame. Again, not a HHOFer by any stretch, but far from the worst Calder winner in hockey history.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Also at #11 Syl Apps never won the Calder and his career certainly isn't 11th on that list must be a typo because TDMM does know his stuff.

My bad, didn't realize that Sly Apps senior had won the Calder, so he makes sense.

for some reason I thought that the Calder didn't go back that far.:oops:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad