Worse stretch in Flyers history?

What was a worse stretch?

• Total voters

Branko

Jul 5, 2011
Is Missing the playoffs 4 out of the last 7 years and failing to win a round with arguably the second best player in franchise history worse than going 5 straight years without even making the playoffs?

I voted for 2013-19 only because I was too young to remember 89-94. But if those years were anything like the Dave Hakstol era, then I feel very sorry for those of you that had to experience both.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I was born on 1996. So I voted this era.

But I feel sadly for these fans who lives in that 89-94 era too. These trades like Propp or Poulin... or Jarri Kurri refused play for Flyers. It really seems like a bad times...

On another side, at least Flyers acquired two franchise players in Recchi and Lindros. This era did nothing. Poor Giroux. Waste his time. This organization don't deserve G.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Yes definitely. You have legit franchise players during this era and we're still treadmilling.
And it’s not like it’s been much fun at all the times we’ve seen the playoffs. They been shellacked a bunch of times even though the series looked close (7 games, 6 games, 6 games).

Reactions: LorneMalvo

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Honestly, it's not even close. 90-94 is really 2 eras, 90-92 and 92-94. The first was frustrating but they were coming off nearly 2 decades of sustained success which included 2 Cups and an amazing 10 trips to the semi/conference finals. Once they made the Lindros deal, smart fans realized they were probably going to take a small step back due to what they gave up and the lack of depth left on the roster. However, fans were excited and any time the big guy was on the ice the games were a blast.

This current era has been a horrible combo of bad coaching, bad teams and boring hockey. Hopefully it's finally come to an end.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This era simply due to the level of frustration and the clown show every year. Such bad coaches. While having a selke level guy and an all time great player in addition to a near Norris season. All while our division rivals win cups and pick up excellent draft lottery players. Until something goes right this offseason, we can’t expect anything different next year. This could take a sharp turn up or we could be the new Minnesota Wild.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
It is really more than that. Outside of a few seasons, the Flyers have pretty much been irrelevant in most of the post 05 lockout era. They have only made it out of the 1st round 3 times.

The game has evolved a lot over the last 15 years and the Flyers stubbornness to stick with tradition has been their fatal flaw. Clarke, Homer, Hextall, Stevens, Berube, Hakstol...these are the guys who have shaped the current team and all of them are dinosaurs.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The reason why i voted for this era is simply because there is no end in sight

I...think there is. I think it's already passed, actually. It ended in December, but the after-effects lingered through the end of the season.

Berube was a new and bad coach working with a terrible roster (seriously look at the forward depth and defense in 2014-15) and then Hakstol sucked the life out of the franchise. But a new coach and a couple transactions and we're right back in the thick of it. The biggest problem is gone.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
89-90 through 93-94 was the worst, IMO.

5 straight seasons of an under .500 record & no playoffs.
71 pts, 76 pts, 75 pts, 83 pts, 80 pts.

Rosters filled with garbage like Al Conroy, Andre Faust, Brad Jones, Jeff Finley, Stew Malgunas, Mark Lamb, Doug Evans, Gord Hynes, Steve Kasper, Andre Lomakin, Mark Pederson, Brent Fedyk, Greg Paslawski, Mark Freer, Murray Baron, Tony Horacek, Martin Hostak, Dale Kushner, Normand Lacombe, Keith Acton, Kerry Huffman.... Makes me want to vomit.

True, the Lindros acquisition for 92/93 added interest, but his first 2 seasons the rosters were God awful. Atrocious depth further gutted by trading for him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And I think I'd start this era in June 2010 when Holmgren decided to roll with MFL as the starting goalie without even attempting anything else. That was the beginning of utter futility, that set in motion a whole wave of crap. This has been going on for 9 years now.

It was so demoralizing to come off that Cup run and trade Gagne and double down on the guy that lost them the Cup. The window slammed shut and there hasn't been hope of serious contention since.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
The reason why i voted for this era is simply because there is no end in sight

I agree, what's amazing is yesterday i saw 2 teams play incredible defense and a team that looked like the flyers d.

Islanders are the best defensive team in the playoffs bar none. I think barry melrose can be a moron at times, but his breakdown yesterday was incredible.

Barry Trotz coaching was on full display yesterday.

you saw the islanders D completly shut down crosby, their sticks were active they covered the back door, why can't we play like that on D.

Blue Jackets are next who are playing great.

The Lightning however looked like the Flyers last night. All 5 D looking at the puck not staying with their man.

I blame all of this on Holmgren now. I blame comcast for not firing him by now.

The NHL should order a forced sale of the Flyers to an owner with brains.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Outside of a few seasons, the Flyers have pretty much been irrelevant in most of the post 05 lockout era.
I don't go that far
they won 7 playoff series in 5 seasons with the Finals appearance in 09/10
they've become a model for mediocrity since 12/13

the worst part of the early 90's era was that they came away with [besides what was involved with the Lindros acquisition year] only Mike Ricci [AND NOT JAGR] with their first round picks over that 5 year span...and of course Ricci was included in the deal taboot

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
How much worse would it be if the Flyers didn't go on tears through the second half of 2016 and 2018 just to sneak in?

It would've been better, because I think it would've cost Hex/Hak their jobs sooner. Also there was plenty to like about being in the top half of the 2016 draft...like half those first rounders are in the NHL already and good.

Reactions: BiggE

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I have no faith at this point. Sad but true.

I’ve mentioned this at times before, but I can’t help comparing this thing to the Leafs during parts of the Sundin era.

Show me something that makes me feel this team is going to be anything above slightly average for the next for years and I’ll buy in. You need to compare this club to others in the NHL, and every team has young players.

When is this team’s cup window? Father Time is going to f*** us up the ass and his real name is Claude Giroux.

They found Carter Hart. I’ll give them that.

Reactions: BiggE

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This era has been worse and it's not close. The 90-94 Flyers always played hard every night and there were always things happening. If they didn't win at least someone would kick someone's ass. We didn't have to suffer through Dave Hakstol or waiting interminably long periods for a prospect to get a chance. We didn't have to watch countless ex-Flyers win Cups every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->