U17: World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, Medicine Hat & Swift Current, 2-9 November

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Very inconsistent at least. Made a sweet triple save by the looks of it at the end. Not been impressed by the Swedish D in any of the games I've seen. Then again, at U17 it's usually this way. Trying to understand the Simon Edvinsson hype, but I am yet to be convinced of his greatness.

Well he had to make those saves after leaving a pretty bad rebound. Still think this game is very much winnable but good goaltending would help.

Reactions: Predatore

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I was thinking this could be a potential upset before the game, the Czechs have gotten better each game.

Should be a fun 2nd period.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
4-1 Czechs

Wow. Upset alert here.
After a rough initial start to this tournament they have looked pretty damn good.

Czech hockey has fallen on some pretty hard times the last while so it's good for the game itself if they can beat Sweden I think.

Reactions: snipes

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Sweden's second period is brutal so far. Down 3 goals but not being able to create anything offensively. Lots of "one-man-shows" out there, with players trying to deke 3-4 Czech players. Czechs look pretty damn good. Wasn't expecting this

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well, basically the Czechs just have to keep playing like they are playing and this game is theirs, they have solidly outplayed them through 2 periods.

I would keep playing physical with them and lay on the body as I have watched Swedish teams for a long time and I can already see them getting frustrated and chippy and that is usually playing with fire for their teams especially at the youth level because they tend to not channel anger in the right direction, instead of using it to dig down and get determined their m.o, is typically to kind of forget what they must do to win the game and instead focus on being chippy and they start to take bad penalties and it all goes to pot.

They don't normally do anger well in hockey, 9 times out of ten if you get them to that point you have them where you want them. The coach will have to settle them down here in the intermission if he can so they can have a chance at turning this game around.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Get home from work... tune in and I was totally expecting to see 5 - 1.. I just didn't think it'd be in favor of the Czechs. Looks like we're outshooting them and, since I tuned in, the Czechs had another really good chance.

If this holds, it would be a truly amazing turnaround from losing the Exhibition 6-1 and first game 10-1 to somehow getting to Semi's.

15 minutes to go... time for a beer and see if we can keep this lead.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs have gotten better each game.
For sure they've looked better every game. I enjoyed the last 2 games despite the losses. Still, 5-1 after a little over 2 periods? Has the goalie been heroic?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
For sure they've looked better every game. I enjoyed the last 2 games despite the losses. Still, 5-1 after a little over 2 periods? Has the goalie been heroic?

No, your goalie has not had too much to do. The Swedish goalie has been an absolute joke though, letting in multiple soft goals.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
No, your goalie has not had too much to do. The Swedish goalie has been an absolute joke though, letting in multiple soft goals.
This is all very shocking. Feel like the Swede's are coming on now.. PP has looked good. Goalie has made some great saves now. Given how much stronger the Swede program is... I'm still expecting at least a shootout.lol

ddlennon

May 1, 2018
Helsinki
Not sure if both of these age groups are just mediocre for both the us/finland but the level of play is considerably worse than the hlinka/u18 wcs

Reactions: Svedu

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Shocking.. Sweden didn't even pull goalie. 2 years from now... about half the Swedish team will be drafted in the first 3 rounds and maybe 2 Czechs will go in the first 2 rounds (hoping Svozil is one as we have very little depth at D).

The Semi's feel like a gold medal to be honest.

I looked and this is a crazy rare day for the Czechs:

We beat Sweden 3-1 at Karlaja cup (senior)
We beat Switzerlan 1-0 in U18
We beat Sweden here (U17) 5-1
Our ladies beat Finland 2-1

As a Czech fan, I don't get many days like this.lol

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Didn't think Sweden played that bad actually, well aside from parts of the 2nd period. They created enough chances to win this game. The Czechs were however a lot better in front of their goalie and scored on most of their chances, that was the difference. Good learning experience for a lot of players, how many times has Lysell & his Frölunda friends played on a losing team these past 2 seasons? You could tell they were not used to this.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Not sure if both of these age groups are just mediocre for both the us/finland but the level of play is considerably worse than the hlinka/u18 wcs

So many mistakes and bad structure, really bad.
Lambert reminds me of a weird hybrid between Necas and McDavid or just a better skating Eichel perhaps. The similar thing with these players is that he seems not to be able to make his teammates better. He is great, but he is great at his own. Or not great, good is the right word perhaps, because i was expecting more production to be honest.

Reactions: ddlennon

ddlennon

May 1, 2018
Helsinki
So many mistakes and bad structure, really bad.
Lambert reminds me of a weird hybrid between Necas and McDavid or just a better skating Eichel perhaps. The similar thing with these players is that he seems not to be able to make his teammates better. He is great, but he is great at his own. Or not great, good is the right word perhaps, because i was expecting more production to be honest.
Yeah he gains the zone and throws the puck away to nobody constantly trying to do too much on his own, also not sure if either team has made 3 passes in a row to their teammates :D

Reactions: Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Malinen with a really bad period. Suomi has not been convincing either. I´m expecting more.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Shocking.. Sweden didn't even pull goalie. 2 years from now... about half the Swedish team will be drafted in the first 3 rounds and maybe 2 Czechs will go in the first 2 rounds (hoping Svozil is one as we have very little depth at D).

The Semi's feel like a gold medal to be honest.

I looked and this is a crazy rare day for the Czechs:

We beat Sweden 3-1 at Karlaja cup (senior)
We beat Switzerlan 1-0 in U18
We beat Sweden here (U17) 5-1
Our ladies beat Finland 2-1

As a Czech fan, I don't get many days like this.lol

Czechs are still a hockey power.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Damn, Finlands passing is truly terrible. Really low level, almost scary low. I know they are young but these players are not on the same level as those before them at the same age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad