U17: World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, Medicine Hat & Swift Current, 2-9 November

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Like have said already few times in the American Prospects thread; Chaz Lucius is the real deal.
Best player in this tournament so far?.
He has great hands, but doesn’t exactly stand out/look a notch above his teammates. Kind of a clunky skater, but certainly has terrific offensive instincts and knows how to finish. Haven’t seen the top Europeans, but Shane Wright is having a better tournament/a better prospect.

Reactions: Dominance

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
There is the dagger for the Czechs! I am happy with how we've played for the most part.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
There is the dagger for the Czechs! I am happy with how we've played for the most part.
You’ve looked vastly improved from the first game against the US. No clue what your coaches told your boys before that one. A system based on immediately flipping the puck out of the zone no matter the situation isn’t going to lend itself well for any team.

Reactions: jj cale

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Wonder how many zone entries Lambert made that game.. cant be less than world record
First of all, I´ve only watched some periods so take my opinions with a grain of salt. Lambert is something special but it annoyed me a bit that he tried to showcase his skills a bit to much and do everything by himself, but on the other hand, perhaps no one is good enough yet to match him and that´s why it´s difficult to build better chemistry. Lamberts skating is truly beautiful. I´ve not seen or heard anything special about players born 2003, besides Lambert but some players have shown something interesting and others, yeah quite the opposite.

I´m impressed with Aleksi Malinen. Decent skater and i like his cool mentality when handling the puck. I believe he will make his debut in Liiga next year or the year after and get drafted in 2-3 round if he continues progressing. He reminds me a bit of Oskar Laaksonen, but left handed. There is of course a long way to go for him.
Jimi Suomi has impressed me too. He seems to be above average in most things to be honest, but i have not yet figured out anything spectacular.
Sandvik could become something decent but i´m not convinced yet.
Marjala seems to have the mentality of wanting to be a leader, i would put him on the same category as Sandvik. They are better than some others but not close to any earlier Finnish top prospects or Lambert, and hey that´s not surprising.
Verner Miettinen is a decent prospect as well, above average skill wise.
Was expecting much more of Tuomaala. He is not bad by any means but he doesn´t stand out at this level.
The most surprising thing for me when watching this tournament is that most of the Finnish bigger forwards are not good enough for the next level. These things can always change, but that is my opinion when seeing Salminen, Virolainen etc. Of course i hope i´m wrong here and that these players see this as fuel for their future careers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erikfromfin

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Groupstage is complete.

Group A

1. USA
2. Canada Black
3. Canada White
4. Czech Republic

Group B
1. Sweden
2. Canada Red
3. Russia
4. Finland

Quarterfinals:
USA vs Finland
Sweden vs Czech Republic
Russia vs Canada Black
Canada Red vs Canada White

Reactions: Garyboy and snipes

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Groupstage is complete.

Group A

1. USA
2. Canada Black
3. Canada White
4. Czech Republic

Group B
1. Sweden
2. Canada Red
3. Russia
4. Finland

Quarterfinals:
USA vs Finland
Sweden vs Czech Republic
Russia vs Canada Black

Sweden wins, Russia wins, USA wins and Canada White wins.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You’ve looked vastly improved from the first game against the US. No clue what your coaches told your boys before that one. A system based on immediately flipping the puck out of the zone no matter the situation isn’t going to lend itself well for any team.
I'm assuming he said it's a long swim home!

Reactions: Dominance

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Groupstage is complete.

Group A

1. USA
2. Canada Black
3. Canada White
4. Czech Republic

Group B
1. Sweden
2. Canada Red
3. Russia
4. Finland

Quarterfinals:
USA vs Finland
Sweden vs Czech Republic
Russia vs Canada Black
Do I wish Sweden good luck in the Semi's now or after the game? I think they beat us 8-1 a week ago.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Video links on the Twitter page. The other games have their links on the U17 Challenge page for those looking for them.

Czech v Sweden game starts shortly.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Lindbom in net looks very off

Very inconsistent at least. Made a sweet triple save by the looks of it at the end. Not been impressed by the Swedish D in any of the games I've seen. Then again, at U17 it's usually this way. Trying to understand the Simon Edvinsson hype, but I am yet to be convinced of his greatness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->