U17: World Under-17 Hockey Challenge 3-10 November

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well, Sweden's U17 group is very strong this year.
I know, they are better than the Finnish team. That is why I thought it was impressive to beat the shot count, even though we seem to always win that and we score 1-2 goals. We have skill to generate shots, but quality chances and actual goal scoring are just non-existent. I'd think that is an individual skill problem.

Wallstedt was also excellent, of course.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I know, they are better than the Finnish team. That is why I thought it was impressive to beat the shot count, even though we seem to always win that and we score 1-2 goals. We have skill to generate shots, but quality chances and actual goal scoring are just non-extent. I'd think that is an individual skill problem.

Russians usually trail the shot count but will win the game, it's about making and cashing in on high quality chances.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Russians usually trail the shot count but will win the game, it's about making and cashing in on high quality chances.
Yeah. It doesn't matter which age group or Finnish team it is, they always seem to struggle with actual goal scoring. No matter how good our chances are.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I know, they are better than the Finnish team. That is why I thought it was impressive to beat the shot count, even though we seem to always win that and we score 1-2 goals. We have skill to generate shots, but quality chances and actual goal scoring are just non-existent. I'd think that is an individual skill problem.

Yeah, gotta generate better chances(and execute on them) instead of shooting the puck every chance you get, especially if somebody like Wallstedt is between the pipes.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kleven doesn’t play enough. The coach is rolling four pairs evenly. He should be playing 25 per game. Drop down to three pairs.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
This Czech team is slow and look like they have never played a single PP. Gross

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
Yeah, gotta generate better chances(and execute on them) instead of shooting the puck every chance you get, especially if somebody like Wallstedt is between the pipes.

Sweden's 02-team has definitely evolved in this sense. Last year as U16, they played several games where they dominated low-danger parts of the ice and shot from stupid angles and in bad situations. It's a combo of individual skill and team composition. As usual in early U16, there are too many early matured players selected, players that run into a brick wall at the national team level and produce nothing in terms of time, space and high danger chances. Therefore very good that over 40 skaters got a chance last season and the current team is the by far most well balanced, but could still be improved.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
USA should take penalties on purpose at this point, they are guaranteed to get at least 3 breakaways.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Czech's were terrible. Didn't see many good players on their team.
Malik was by far the best Czech in the game. Says it all really, though Mysak and Blaha had some good moments.
Czechs looked very slow in the 1st and 2nd period, but in the 3rd they took it to a whole new level. Looked like they gave up, no hustle, nothing.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
So Theo Rochette will play for Canada or Switzerland?

It's not concluded yet.

It's weird. As a swiss, one should hope for a bad tournament. His hattrick in the pre-tournament makes me feel a bit inconvenient.

To lose a prospect of his caliber would be extremly painful for Swiss Hockey.

But it's not an easy decision to make for Rochette. There are pros/cons for either side.

He's probably good enough to play for Team Canada's U18 and U20 with his peers. With excellent chances to medal. But will he be good enough to ever compete for a spot on the Senior team with its deep pool of talent? It's certainly a risk.

For Switzerland he could play a big role in the junior teams even as an underager. But has close to no chances to medal. With a proper development he's got all the chances in the world to be relevant for the senior team as well, thus an outlook on going to the Olympics in the future, and playing some WHCs for a team, that has shown recently to be very competitive when things working well.

He stated in the summer that he tends to play for the nation he mostly grew up in. But he sad that in Switzerland to a swiss journalist, so...

Short-term, I guess, it forces the Swiss Federation to answer the strong luring of Hockey Canada by pretty much making Rochette a lock for the U20 WC... as a triple-underager. Otherwise he would have only a small chance to make the team.

Anyway, if he ever plays an offical ranking tournament for either side, he'll be locked out of a nation swap for 4 years

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
So wait, Im confused. What exactly happened with Canada Red v Russia? The electrocity went out and the game was suspended?...then restarted a day later? Or was it called complete when electricty went out?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
So wait, Im confused. What exactly happened with Canada Red v Russia? The electrocity went out and the game was suspended?...then restarted a day later? Or was it called complete when electricty went out?

A large storm with high winds blew through Atlantic Canada and many areas lost power. The game was resumed on Sunday (today) from the point the power went off.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Anyone know where I can watch the White vs. Black game? Seems they are only streaming them live.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->