Red Sox/MLB WORLD SERIES - Sox roar back to win Game 4 - Price will start Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Pearce and Machado are close too from their time in Baltimore. Pretty sure Pearce was a part of Machado's wedding. Who spikes a friend.

Reactions: McGarnagle

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Robert's going to Madson in a big spot was indefensible. He's been the Sox' best player.
Didn't have an issue taking Hill out there. He gave them exactly what they needed.

Roberts's pen management is what killed them.

Madson with 2 runners on after he's be downright terrible with inherited runners so far was a massive mistake. They had all the momentum and the Red Sox looked dead in thw ater right there.

His biggest mistake was Jansen in the 8th yet again. I get the thinking, but how many times have we seen closers in non-save situations, or having to come in for 4+ outs just blow it. Jansen blew it the previous night, and he did it again.

When you have a guy like Baez in the pen, who has been as close to untouchable as there is for them, you use him.

Dodgers used 7 pitchers in the game, Baez and Urias did not pitch. That's absolutely terrible bullpen management.

Roberts tried to get to cute with matchups, and it burned him. Baez absolutely should've gotten the 9th inning.

Reactions: EverettMike

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
ESPN article:

“Chris Sale stood in the back of the dugout as the World Series was slipping away and started screaming.

"He's got two pitches!" the Boston Red Sox ace hollered to his left among a stream of profanities, referring to Los Angeles Dodgers starter Rich Hill.

Then he shouted to his right.

And then straight ahead, pointing with his pitching hand and extending his ring and middle fingers for emphasis.

Sale stepped down, kept on shrieking and raised his right hand, his head bobbing up and down and a fire in his eyes like a Shakespearean king exhorting troops into battle.

"It scared me a little bit," Rafael Devers said, "because I had never seen him yell like that, and the words that he was saying, I had never heard that come from him before. But, you know, we came out sluggish and that moment helped us get motivated for the rest of the game."

Boston had just fallen behind by four runs in the sixth inning Saturday night, nine outs from finding itself tied 2-2 in a World Series that seemed to be a runaway just 27 hours earlier. The Red Sox had managed only one hit in six innings.

"We felt that we had no energy, actually none whatsoever," Red Sox manager Alex Cora said. "It had to do with Rich Hill, the way he was throwing the ball." ...

"I was down the tunnel and I heard someone yelling," Holt later recalled.

Holt turned to Mookie Betts and asked: "Who's yelling up there?"

"He said, 'Sale.' Oh, my God. He was mad at us," Holt said. "I think that kind of lit a fire under everybody. We didn't want to see him mad anymore. So we decided to start swinging the bats a little bit." ...”

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Didn't have an issue taking Hill out there. He gave them exactly what they needed.

Roberts's pen management is what killed them.

Madson with 2 runners on after he's be downright terrible with inherited runners so far was a massive mistake. They had all the momentum and the Red Sox looked dead in thw ater right there.

His biggest mistake was Jansen in the 8th yet again. I get the thinking, but how many times have we seen closers in non-save situations, or having to come in for 4+ outs just blow it. Jansen blew it the previous night, and he did it again.

When you have a guy like Baez in the pen, who has been as close to untouchable as there is for them, you use him.

Dodgers used 7 pitchers in the game, Baez and Urias did not pitch. That's absolutely terrible bullpen management.

Roberts tried to get to cute with matchups, and it burned him. Baez absolutely should've gotten the 9th inning.

Totally. The Sox haven’t been able to touch Baez or Urias. I’m not buying the excuse that Baez was unavailable; it’s the f***ing World Series. Impending free agent Eovaldi with two TJS behind him was willing to come out and throw 100 pitches. But if they really want to use the narrative that Baez was unavailable, how do you not use Urias in the 8th?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Totally. The Sox haven’t been able to touch Baez or Urias. I’m not buying the excuse that Baez was unavailable; it’s the ****ing World Series. Impending free agent Eovaldi with two TJS behind him was willing to come out and throw 100 pitches. But if they really want to use the narrative that Baez was unavailable, how do you not use Urias in the 8th?
I didn't agree with Jansen in the 8th, but I can understand his thinking. Sox had the meat of the lineup up. That was the save situation right there for LA. Jansen blew it yet again.

The bigger issue was using Floro, Wood, and Maeda in the 9th instead of Urias.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Baseball will be over before October 31 Halloween and my feeling is Rafael Devers is going to play a significant part

Reminds me of Orlando Cepeda ‘the baby bull’

Reactions: dabid

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I was reading about Urias and how he's coming back from shoulder surgery or something. Don't think they wanted to use him back to back nights even if it's the WS. Given how good Baez has been, I am surprised Roberts felt the need to try and get 6 outs from Jansen.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I was reading about Urias and how he's coming back from shoulder surgery or something. Don't think they wanted to use him back to back nights even if it's the WS. Given how good Baez has been, I am surprised Roberts felt the need to try and get 6 outs from Jansen.

Less about 6 outs and more about the heart of the order in the 8th instead of 9th

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Apparently Baez was unavailable.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
44938143_10216355420410827_7419382706204573696_n.jpg

Reactions: BMC

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I actually didn't see this play. Not saying Machado didn't spike him but is there video? The pic can be deceiving as you can't tell the depth between his cleat and Pearce's leg.

Considering how Porcello and Eovaldi pitched, I think Cora would be fine throwing those two in a game 6 and 7. Plus we know Cora doesn't mess around. He goes all in for the win that's in frontvof him. I could definitely see Sale out of the pen tonight.

Price with back to back great starts but historically pitchers don't do well on 3 days rest. I know he did it against Houston but that's my biggest concern tonight.

Watch his left foot. He turns it twords Pearce's ankle area at the last second. Clear as day what he's trying to do there, and given his track record, there's no defending it.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Remember 175 games ago when Joe Kelly and Carson Smith combined for a fantastic meltdown to throw away the game on opening day, and everyone here thought it was going to be a long season?

What a ride it's been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad