Prospect Info: World Juniors Thread

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Great game by USA.

That team photo at the end with the trash can and the Canada logo on it tho. Classless. I don't care what stupid excuse was used after the fact regarding the thought process behind it. Brutal call to do that.

I hadn't heard about this so I checked into it. In this article, US coach Leaman explained how barrels were used metaphorically for their journey to the gold medal.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I hadn't heard about this so I checked into it. In this article, US coach Leaman explained how barrels were used metaphorically for their journey to the gold medal.

Sure. I’ll believe that take when pigs fly.
If that is the case, leave it in the room. It’s really that simple. There was more to it than that which is why it’s in the picture and was on the ice.

I’m all for gamesmanship and the like but this was not that.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Here's my issue watching Brink. Brink played like a 6'2 210 power forward. Problem is that style will be hard to translate to the NHL due to his size. While he's stronger and stouter than I expected, and is young enough to fill out a bit more (won't turn 20 until July), he's never going to be "full sized." His skating was decent, but he lacks the burst and speed of your typical undersized scorer (just compare him to Caufield). So that raises the spectre of the dreaded "tweener" at the next level, not big enough to play power hockey, not fast/quick enough to create enough space to do his thang.

Now he's got the vision, IQ and toughness to compensate, but it won't surprise me if he spends 3 years in college and a year in the AHL because he'll have a smaller margin for error at the NHL level and will need to refine his game. Not sure if he's a top six talent.

I like watching Brink a lot but i keep on thinking about Steve Downie (without the physical toughness) His skating is not very good and is going to be an issue for someone so small at the next level. Great IQ, great compete but he really needs to become a man. If he physically matures and gets stronger and get quicker he could be a gem but i'm not sure that will happen. He definitely does whatever it takes to win so that alone is a huge plus but needs lots of time imo

Regarding York, Appleyard's analysis was bang on. Love his IQ, decision making and puck movement. He was the best dman during the prelims of the entire tournament but his game in the semi's and speciifcally playing the PK was not the best. Not 100% sold he will become a top pairing dman (I had compared him to Mcavoy and Reilly from his play at U18's) but little concerned he becomes more like a Matt Carle (which is not bad) but not what I was hoping for when we could've had Boldy, Krebs, Newhook or even Caufield (Yes he wasn't that impressive but his skating and shot still could make him become a high end NHLer) .

Just a take I like to mention NHL comparables so people that don't see these players can get a visual of what to roughly expect.

Reactions: Flybynite

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I like watching Brink a lot but i keep on thinking about Steve Downie (without the physical toughness) His skating is not very good and is going to be an issue for someone so small at the next level. Great IQ, great compete but he really needs to become a man. If he physically matures and gets stronger and get quicker he could be a gem but i'm not sure that will happen. He definitely does whatever it takes to win so that alone is a huge plus but needs lots of time imo.

Brink is way more skilled than Downie was right?

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yes, but Downie had more skill than he was given credit for. He was tough kid and a deceptively good little player, but he couldn't keep it together.

Brink is very skilled and smart. Crafty like Briere. Great hockey sense and pops up in the right place. More a playmaker than finisher though.

I keep thinking of one of the draft videos of Fletcher talking about him. Brink had played with his kid so he knew him. He said something like "he always looks small and he's not fast, but he's always the best player on his team." Now, on the WJC team that would not be easy. He needs to skate a bit faster and be a bit stronger, which will come with maturity and hard work at college in the weight room.

He just knows where to be on the ice and how to strip pucks off Dmen on the forecheck or anyone along the wall.

His open ice play off the rush is good too, but his real talent is picking a puck up out of a scrum and finding his man through a maze of legs. Just uncanny instincts and hands, which you can't teach.

Now, will he be able to carve out a role as as NHL winger given all the talent the Flyers have, and how soon? That depends on him. He may be end up being Giroux's eventual replacement as a small, feisty mid-6 skilled winger four years from now. He should probably play two more years at college to get more physically mature. There is no rush. We'll see.

2019 Draft Review

Scouching on Brink

https://youtu.be/gnzGwAuJvpI

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
tenor.gif

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Steve Downie was very talented. Unfortunately concussions destroyed his career.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Yes, but Downie had more skill than he was given credit for. He was tough kid and a deceptively good little player, but he couldn't keep it together.

Brink is very skilled and smart. Crafty like Briere. Great hockey sense and pops up in the right place. More a playmaker than finisher though.

I keep thinking of one of the draft videos of Fletcher talking about him. Brink had played with his kid so he knew him. He said something like "he always looks small and he's not fast, but he's always the best player on his team." Now, on the WJC team that would not be easy. He needs to skate a bit faster and be a bit stronger, which will come with maturity and hard work at college in the weight room.

He just knows where to be on the ice and how to strip pucks off Dmen on the forecheck or anyone along the wall.

His open ice play off the rush is good too, but his real talent is picking a puck up out of a scrum and finding his man through a maze of legs. Just uncanny instincts and hands, which you can't teach.

Now, will he be able to carve out a role as as NHL winger given all the talent the Flyers have, and how soon? That depends on him. He may be end up being Giroux's eventual replacement as a small, feisty mid-6 skilled winger four years from now. He should probably play two more years at college to get more physically mature. There is no rush. We'll see.

2019 Draft Review

Scouching on Brink

https://youtu.be/gnzGwAuJvpI

Steve was a great talent just couldn't get his temper under control. He could've been the ultimate 3rd line pest/agitator with offensive abilities (similar to Claude Lemieux with better playmaking abilities) that could actually fight (if necessary). Got wrapped up on the fighting end unfortunately + injuries derailed what was a good but could've been great career

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry44

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Steve was a great talent just couldn't get his temper under control. He could've been the ultimate 3rd line pest/agitator with offensive abilities (similar to Claude Lemieux with better playmaking abilities) that could actually fight (if necessary). Got wrapped up on the fighting end unfortunately + injuries derailed what was a good but could've been great career
Exactly. Downie was effective. Just too easily goaded into dumb stuff.

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
I'm not sure I get the major knock on Brink's skating. I sometimes see a little stiffness and busyness in his stride but his edge work and balance and his work in tight spaces looks awesome. He doesn't seem to have issue getting to where he needs to be, which to be honest looks to be a real strength. He's got a knack for dirty areas and the net. That will serve him well at the next level.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I'm not sure I get the major knock on Brink's skating. I sometimes see a little stiffness and busyness in his stride but his edge work and balance and his work in tight spaces looks awesome. He doesn't seem to have issue getting to where he needs to be, which to be honest looks to be a real strength. He's got a knack for dirty areas and the net. That will serve him well at the next level.
It’s because it’s been overblown. He has always been a good in-tight skater.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Brink has suffered from coming in the draft with Caufield, Caufield is quicker, faster and more dynamic.
But Brink is significantly bigger, he's bulked up a bit and is a fireplug, whereas Caufield is a smurf.
So Caufield was and is the "sexier" player, but Brink has a more rounded skill set and can play defense.

Brink needs to incrementally work on his skating, he's never going to be a speed demon, but just smoothing out the rough edges would help - with his instincts, he just has to skate well enough.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
This is, by light years, the dumbest thing you or anyone else has ever posted on this or any other forum. Holy flying shitballs.
The media is always looking for a person that they roll out to the public as cute darling guy. If the guy that they’re shilling is a smurf, it’s even better, as if the media can show that anyone can play this game. Going into the draft that was Caufield. Now the media, especially the one in Montreal, is going out of their way to show that he is what they said that he was. Brink wasn’t their guy.
Caufield may be the better skater. He may have the better shot. However as we know, there’s more to the game than that. Brink has bulked up to be able to handle the rougher play. He also has better defensive ability. His vision of the game/hockey IQ is as good as Caufield’s probably better. Let’s just see how it all plays out over their careers.
I can still remember when the Flyers drafted Brian Propp, a lot of what has been said of Brink is what they said about BP. Weak skater; too short; won’t hold up in the big boy’s game, yatta, yatta, yatta. How did that all turn out? I’m not saying that Brink will be a Propp like all star but he’ll be just fine.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The media is always looking for a person that they roll out to the public as cute darling guy. If the guy that they’re shilling is a smurf, it’s even better, as if the media can show that anyone can play this game. Going into the draft that was Caufield. Now the media, especially the one in Montreal, is going out of their way to show that he is what they said that he was. Brink wasn’t their guy.
Caufield may be the better skater. He may have the better shot. However as we know, there’s more to the game than that. Brink has bulked up to be able to handle the rougher play. He also has better defensive ability. His vision of the game/hockey IQ is as good as Caufield’s probably better. Let’s just see how it all plays out over their careers.
I can still remember when the Flyers drafted Brian Propp, a lot of what has been said of Brink is what they said about BP. Weak skater; too short; won’t hold up in the big boy’s game, yatta, yatta, yatta. How did that all turn out? I’m not saying that Brink will be a Propp like all star but he’ll be just fine.

I agree with you, and I love Binksy to death ... but I just meant that Caufield is an ugly garbage hobbit. I'm having even more trouble than usual taking hockey seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad