OT: World Juniors Thread!

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Robert Thomas with 1 goal and 5 assist for 6 pts in 6 games.
Jordan Kyrou with 3 goals and 6 assist for 9 pts in 6 games.
Klim Kostin with 5 goals and 3 assist for 8 points in 5 games.

The Future is bright.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I have nothing against Timmins, but I don’t think he deserved a player of the tournament award. Batherson and Makar I can accept, but I didn’t think Timmins was near that worthy.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kyrou is a stud. I really hope we dont trade him. I’m way more excited with Thomas/Kyrou/Kostin/Thompson prospect class than I was for the Oshie/ Perron/ Berglund/Cole class. I think we have 4 top 6 players on our hands.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I never got the hype around Perron, doubted Berglund once it became clear the future is speed, and never bought into the Rattie/Jaskin hype (although I wasn’t very informed during that time due to no internets and living in Illinois.

Kyrou, Kostin, Thomas, and Dunn have always looked like the real deal, and I would like to think of myself as the conductor of the Parayko hype train.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
How about Thomas on the shift before Dube's goal? End of a long shift, Canadian dman (Fabbro?) ices the puck. Faceoff in their own zone, guys are dead tired and desperately need a change...Sweden's top line out...Thomas wins the faceoff, retrieves the puck from the corner, skates the puck all the way to the redline and gets the puck deep into the Swedish end allowing Canada to get a desperately needed change. Plays like that don't end up on the scoresheet, but can still completely change the game. That play was way more impressive than Kyrou's assist IMO, and that's saying something because Kyrou made a fantastic play on that goal (beautiful little pass in traffic...great touch)!

Watching the highlights from the first period during the intermission, it seemed like every time Canada had a scoring chance Thomas was involved/on the ice. That kid is a gamer.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
How about Thomas on the shift before Dube's goal? End of a long shift, Canadian dman (Fabbro?) ices the puck. Faceoff in their own zone, guys are dead tired and desperately need a change...Sweden's top line out...Thomas wins the faceoff, retrieves the puck from the corner, skates the puck all the way to the redline and gets the puck deep into the Swedish end allowing Canada to get a desperately needed change. Plays like that don't end up on the scoresheet, but can still completely change the game. That play was way more impressive than Kyrou's assist IMO, and that's saying something because Kyrou made a fantastic play on that goal (beautiful little pass in traffic...great touch)!

Watching the highlights from the first period during the intermission, it seemed like every time Canada had a scoring chance Thomas was involved/on the ice. That kid is a gamer.

Why do you think everyone has been poach him the Trade Board. The kid hasn't put up gaudy numbers but his play has been very strong and very consistent. He rarely makes the wrong play with the puck and has such good defensive awareness.

Edit: Kyrou with an assist in the gold medal game to bring his point total to 10 points in the tourney. A single point behind Middlestadt and Necas, good company to be in.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
No way I want to trade Kyrou.

One thing I really hate is how people on this board is equate value with where a prospect was drafted. If Kyrou was drafted at lets say #20 OA, people would be raving about him and calling him the steal of the draft. Yes he does have flaws to defensive game but his offensive tool bag is as deep as some of top prospects out there.

Edit: Not to mention he is a right handed, right winger. Our biggest organization weakness and a RH shot. I can not emphasize enough how important it is that we inject more RH shots into our top9 in the future.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Good for Kyrou and Thomas.

I thought Canada would win the tournament this year. I really liked how the roster was constructed more than in years past. There was an identity that I could recognize as opposed to just getting the “star” prospects Canada used to do.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I never got the hype around Perron, doubted Berglund once it became clear the future is speed, and never bought into the Rattie/Jaskin hype (although I wasn’t very informed during that time due to no internets and living in Illinois.

Kyrou, Kostin, Thomas, and Dunn have always looked like the real deal, and I would like to think of myself as the conductor of the Parayko hype train.

No. I was the conductor of the CP hype train when he was in college. Go check the original thread. I was the person paying attention and posting stats of the college guys and the first to start a thread about him on the main prospects board.

Normally I would care who gets credit for what, but when you are taking false credit to boost yourself, and to make yourself look important, then I get feel the need to step in and set the record strait.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
No. I was the conductor of the CP hype train when he was in college. Go check the original thread. I was the person paying attention and posting stats of the college guys and the first to start a thread about him on the main prospects board.

Normally I would care who gets credit for what, but when you are taking false credit to boost yourself, and to make yourself look important, then I get feel the need to step in and set the record strait.
Uhhh not that it really matters at all, but I started the Parayko thread on the main prospect board after he won WCHA Dman of the year. I wouldn’t normally care, but I feel like your response was unnecessarily hostile. Who really cares who starts a thread or who was the “conductor of the hype train”? What a silly thing to get so upset about.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/rd-colton-parayko-2012-86th-stl.1624445/

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

I apologize. Re-reading that made me realize how conceited that sounded. I meant to imply that I was moreso “all aboard” the Parayko hype train, despite calls to pump the breaks. It wasn’t because I was a genius or anything, it was more so because I read posts like yours and watched a few Alaska games myself that made me feel like it was okay to pump his tires to nearly bursting. Again, poor terminology on my part, and it’s rather embarrassing.

My comments about not understanding the hype around our older prospects wasn’t meant to stroke my ego - it was moreso that I was out of the loop and too young to get caught up in the propaganda around that core’s draft period. Not having internet and living in rural Northern Illinois in a town named “Sandwich” made it difficult for me to know anything other than EANHL ‘06. By the time I got here, they were already in the league, and, for example, I didn’t have the infamous “expectations” about Berglund that might have been more prevalent had I been around that.

What I really should be emphasizing is that since I’ve joined this board, I don’t think I’ve encountered many posters hyping our players, even when Parayko, Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Fabbri all looked really good. The posters here seem to be very even-keeled and are more apt to pump the breaks than the tires. I’ve always appreciated that, but I also want to emphasize that if those same posters can’t help but get excited about these new kids, they must be really special. This board as a whole (since I’ve been here) does not generally over-value our prospects. So when I say I “didn’t get the hype” around Perron and Berglund, what I mean to say is that I didn’t encounter that hype until it was being referenced in hindsight. Again, a failure to communicate on my part, and I’m embarrassed that I sounded that way.

Dunn, Thomas, Kyrou, and Husso have always looked like the real deal to this board, despite it very recently being too soon around here to say Parayko will be a 1D . I rarely find shared hype for our own players around here, and so despite me being over-the-top with hyping our guys in the last few years (with a good bunch of them turning out), I find it encouraging that this board, despite its general conservative attitude, is joining in on that. It really indicates to me that what we have is not just homerism, but something I feel truly confident in believing in. These kids are going to be good.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I apologize. Re-reading that made me realize how conceited that sounded. I meant to imply that I was moreso “all aboard” the Parayko hype train, despite calls to pump the breaks. It wasn’t because I was a genius or anything, it was more so because I read posts like yours and watched a few Alaska games myself that made me feel like it was okay to pump his tires to nearly bursting. Again, poor terminology on my part, and it’s rather embarrassing.

My comments about not understanding the hype around our older prospects wasn’t meant to stroke my ego - it was moreso that I was out of the loop and too young to get caught up in the propaganda around that core’s draft period. Not having internet and living in rural Northern Illinois in a town named “Sandwich” made it difficult for me to know anything other than EANHL ‘06. By the time I got here, they were already in the league, and, for example, I didn’t have the infamous “expectations” about Berglund that might have been more prevalent had I been around that.

What I really should be emphasizing is that since I’ve joined this board, I don’t think I’ve encountered many posters hyping our players, even when Parayko, Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Fabbri all looked really good. The posters here seem to be very even-keeled and are more apt to pump the breaks than the tires. I’ve always appreciated that, but I also want to emphasize that if those same posters can’t help but get excited about these new kids, they must be really special. This board as a whole (since I’ve been here) does not generally over-value our prospects. So when I say I “didn’t get the hype” around Perron and Berglund, what I mean to say is that I didn’t encounter that hype until it was being referenced in hindsight. Again, a failure to communicate on my part, and I’m embarrassed that I sounded that way.

Dunn, Thomas, Kyrou, and Husso have always looked like the real deal to this board, despite it very recently being too soon around here to say Parayko will be a 1D . I rarely find shared hype for our own players around here, and so despite me being over-the-top with hyping our guys in the last few years (with a good bunch of them turning out), I find it encouraging that this board, despite its general conservative attitude, is joining in on that. It really indicates to me that what we have is not just homerism, but something I feel truly confident in believing in. These kids are going to be good.

Wow! A talk forum apology. Good for you, Lehterasenkshow.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I admit to being a Blues prospect homer. I tend to over-value and over-hype our prospects.

Reactions: The Note

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad