OT: World Juniors Thread!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think he’s a lazy skater. When he wants to turn it up he really can. Similar to Tarasenko. Can separate that little bit when he wants to
Yes, he "floats" at times, like Tarasenko. And when he gets determined, and drives the net, he picks up a lot of velocity. But, I's still like to see him improve his edgework, for added agility for quick movements.

Reactions: Lord Helix

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Gonna be honest, I haven't been very thrilled with how Kostin looks out there despite his point totals. Looks disinterested without the puck and even when he has it he hardly utilizes his large frame. I hope there is more to offer from him than what I've seen this tournament.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Gonna be honest, I haven't been very thrilled with how Kostin looks out there despite his point totals. Looks disinterested without the puck and even when he has it he hardly utilizes his large frame. I hope there is more to offer from him than what I've seen this tournament.
That's one of the main reasons why he hasn't been brought up. He needs to learn how to play without the puck. I doubt that he'll be brought up until he plays a complete game, and can fit well into The Blues' system.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Kostin looked awful in OT
He looked like he was in pain at the end, I only noticed him in OT when he gave up the puck. He looked beyond gassed.

Overall Russia as a whole just doesn't look that good, which was exacerbated by playing the Swedes.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI

I feel like that was always what to expect from Kostin. An offensive minded big body. If we can get him to play more soundly defensively he could go a long way. He could really use some time with Schwartz on how to play tenacious without the puck (along with kyrou lol)

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
If Kyrou and/or Kostin can score at the NHL level I really couldn’t care less if they’re not strong 2-way players. It’d be great if we could have a team full of Schwartz’s, sure but the team needs offensive creativity and some goal scoring.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Guys, the kids have just played 4 games in 5 days. Of course they are gassed. How fried do out guys look in the third of a back to back. Let alone 4 games in 5 days at a very high level.

I would put more stock in how He plays in the quarters then yesterday days game.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
If Kyrou and/or Kostin can score at the NHL level I really couldn’t care less if they’re not strong 2-way players. It’d be great if we could have a team full of Schwartz’s, sure but the team needs offensive creativity and some goal scoring.

I agree. If these guys can score goals, we need to find a place for them.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Guys, the kids have just played 4 games in 5 days. Of course they are gassed. How fried do out guys look in the third of a back to back. Let alone 4 games in 5 days at a very high level.

I would put more stock in how He plays in the quarters then yesterday days game.
My comments on Kostin were on his play throughout the tournament. He hasn't shown much willingness to engage aside from a few spurts here and there. He has certainly been opportunistic which shows in his point totals, but every game I've watched he is floating more often than not. The argument that they've played 4 games in 5 days is valid, but Kostin's teammates were consistently exerting energy on their shifts while Kostin couldn't muster much effort to move his feet. I'm not trying to bash on Kostin, but this is my general observation from having watched him this tournament.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I love Kostin, but he has been playing shinny along the boards. He cruises in behind and hopes for a lucky stick check or bad pass.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
My comments on Kostin were on his play throughout the tournament. He hasn't shown much willingness to engage aside from a few spurts here and there. He has certainly been opportunistic which shows in his point totals, but every game I've watched he is floating more often than not. The argument that they've played 4 games in 5 days is valid, but Kostin's teammates were consistently exerting energy on their shifts while Kostin couldn't muster much effort to move his feet. I'm not trying to bash on Kostin, but this is my general observation from having watched him this tournament.
I wonder how much of that is to blame on his transition to playing with men in the AHL and the NA play style? When you can go from dominating your age group to missing a year with a shoulder issue and then playing with men who are your size and larger, it may make for him being a bit tentative, which carried over to the tourney.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
I wonder how much of that is to blame on his transition to playing with men in the AHL and the NA play style? When you can go from dominating your age group to missing a year with a shoulder issue and then playing with men who are your size and larger, it may make for him being a bit tentative, which carried over to the tourney.
He’s hit a brick wall of sorts with the Rampage currently. Nothing to worry about though. Most young kids struggle a bit as they grow into their game. Kostin isn’t ready for the NHL yet. Thankfully we don’t need him to be right now.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
He’s hit a brick wall of sorts with the Rampage currently. Nothing to worry about though. Most young kids struggle a bit as they grow into their game. Kostin isn’t ready for the NHL yet. Thankfully we don’t need him to be right now.
He only played 8 games last season, and has played a fair amount in this half-season, so far, on a tighter schedule than his Russian junior league had. I'm guessing that he's tired, and has to pick his spots right now. Which may be why his coach is playing him short minutes despite to his scoring.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I think Kostin is going to be really good and likely will end up on a line with Thomas and Tarasenko eventually. However, he for sure needs to stay in the AHL this year and he’ll probably need to be there for a bit next year too.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Just about every trade thread with MTL and STL is a veiled attempt to get Thomas from the Blues. Good times.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Remember when Parayko was brand new? Tarasenko? Oshie? Pietrangelo?

It never ends, and I’m not really that upset with the correlation I’m seeing.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Saw a legit trade proposal on the Habs board:

Pacioretty
Jordie Benn
Paul Byron

For

Vince Dunn
Jordan Kyrou
Robert Thomas
Beau Bennett
Conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st if the Blues make the finals

Basically gut our prospect pool for another left shot LWer, a 3rd liner, and a press box Dman. Where do I sign?

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
Saw a legit trade proposal on the Habs board:

Pacioretty
Jordie Benn
Paul Byron

For

Vince Dunn
Jordan Kyrou
Robert Thomas
Beau Bennett
Conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st if the Blues make the finals

Basically gut our prospect pool for another left shot LWer, a 3rd liner, and a press box Dman. Where do I sign?

I saw that as well. It's also evidently a Blues fan's proposal, but if you follow the link the OP has a Canadiens logo as their profile picture. I don't think any of us were confused about where their loyalty lies :laugh:.

Personally, I'm much more interested in Hoffman than Pacioretty due to the assumed costs, but I'm pretty lukewarm on both, honestly. I don't think we need another left-handed LW unless the cost is low. We need goal scoring, but I've liked Thompson a lot on this call-up and would prefer the team pursue a natural RW or right-handed shot at minimum if they're convinced that outside help is needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->