World Juniors: Schwarz

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
Just curious for some comments from those on here who saw him play in this tournament. My understanding is that his play was superb, and he won the MVG of the tournament.

Any info on his play and the outlook of his future would be appreciated. :bow:

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
CuSa_1 said:
Just curious for some comments from those on here who saw him play in this tournament. My understanding is that his play was superb, and he won the MVG of the tournament.

I am curious too, especially as it pertains to the Montoya/Dubnyk/Schwarz issue. Can't believe ESPN didn't show the bronze game...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
This was probably the weakest showing for goaltenders at the WJCs in years. I didn't get to see him play but from what I hear he was good but not phenominal.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
cagney said:
This was probably the weakest showing for goaltenders at the WJCs in years. I didn't get to see him play but from what I hear he was good but not phenominal.

I agree. The "Top Goalie" award was really up for grabs in this tourny.

wizard

Apr 18, 2004
schwarz

would have liked to see the german goalie youri ziffzer with another defense and a team with some offense and then compare him to the rest

Kasparov*

Schwarz was pretty solid all tourney i think. Sometimes it looks like he's trying to emulate Hasek.

leafaholix*

Best goalie in the draft.

His positional improvement over last years WJC was very obvious.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
wizard said:
would have liked to see the german goalie youri ziffzer with another defense and a team with some offense and then compare him to the rest

You have to be able to stop and control long shots before it matters who is in front of you. Ziffzer is rotten

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
The shame of it all is that over the past 1-10 years or so all the Blues needed to make a difference in the playoffs was solid not spectacular goaltending. Fuhr(until Kypreos ran over his knee), Casey, Carey, Turek, McClennan, Johnson, Osgood have all been suspect at best in the playoffs. By the time Schwarz makes it(no give me's) they will probably be in a rebuilding mode with the potential losses of Tkachuk, Weight, Pronger, MacInnis.

bruins4777*

Schwarz is going to be a money goaltender, its so obvious.

As for the guy who made the hasek comparison? I heard that a lot, but schwarz said he personally doesn't feel like he plays like hasek at all. He says he tries to be more positiony...Personally to me he looks kinda like an acrobatic butterfly guy....I like him a lot.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
St.Louis sports fan said:
The shame of it all is that over the past 1-10 years or so all the Blues needed to make a difference in the playoffs was solid not spectacular goaltending. Fuhr(until Kypreos ran over his knee), Casey, Carey, Turek, McClennan, Johnson, Osgood have all been suspect at best in the playoffs. By the time Schwarz makes it(no give me's) they will probably be in a rebuilding mode with the potential losses of Tkachuk, Weight, Pronger, MacInnis.
All of them except Pronger will be gone before Schwarz skates for the Blues :mad: ...

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
CuSa_1 said:

The goalie with the highest upside potential who has yet to play in the NHL.

slimer

Jul 8, 2003
Senor Rational said:
All of them except Pronger will be gone before Schwarz skates for the Blues :mad: ...

Pronger may be the first one gone. He may get delt as soon as action resumes.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Kasparov said:
Schwarz was pretty solid all tourney i think. Sometimes it looks like he's trying to emulate Hasek.
I don't think Schwarz looks even slightly like Hasek.

Schwarz is a butterfly goalie, while Hasek has his own crazy (yet effective) style.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Carl O'Steen said:
His positional improvement over last years WJC was very obvious.

Compared to last year, the only way for him to go was up... he was wretched last year.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Dempsey said:
I agree. The "Top Goalie" award was really up for grabs in this tourny.
The Top Goalie award is up for grabs every WJC. Montoya was an easy favorite before he stepped onto the ice for his first game, and I believe that Schwarz was the best goalie. When the tournament is so short, GAA and SV % are instrumental in getting your team to the medal round. He had both. He is very strong in net and was full marks for the award. He played his best game against the toughest team, in a 3-1 Canada win in the Semi's. He played outstanding. Just about every shot the Canadians took was in close, and a very good scoring chance. To put it in perspective, the Czech team which won Bronze, only had 11 shots in the whole game, so that should tell you how much action Schwarz saw.

I was of the belief that Schwarz was indeed the best goalie available at the draft, and the way he played in these WJC's, he just re-enforced my belief. He will be a real impact keeper for the St. Louis Blues, and most likely within the next 3-4 years. He has the skills and the mental toughness to be a franchise player, and I wish him all the luck in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad