WORLD JUNIORS CHAMPIONSHIP

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Fins actually going to win? Wow who would have thought. One period to go.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
This tournament seems more on the defensive side. Haven’t been able to watch but it seems like the scoring is down from previous years.

How is Hughes looking tonight?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Late in the third it looked like the Finns had more legs than the USA. Better conditioning maybe.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Vancouver has to be stoked about Quinn Hughes... he skated around guys all tournament. Fast and can get out of trouble similar to DD. JHughes may have been nursing something, but he looked a bit out sync most of the tournament when he was playing.

Genu

Mar 19, 2011
Finland
Finnish Kings fan here. (not that i ever really post here :laugh:)

Kupari had mixed tournament in my opinion. He actually looked really good lot of times, combination of lethal speed and puckhandling made him dangerous of the rush. But really feel like he should've converted more of his chances. Still, good tournament

Anderson was honestly rather invincible to me in both games i saw from him. Was bit surprised by his point totals.

As for potential Kings Hughes and Kakko, both underwhelmed me just a little bit.

Hughes was really trying to get things done, and was dangerous when he came back. Still, expected more from him. Probably just my problem, he is still rather raw.

Kakko showed his puck control along boards and in tight, but i feel like he tended to go too much perimeter, not driving the net as much as he should've. Felt like he was more aggressive in final though, and capped his tourney with a good game (and a winning goal)

Did anyone watch Podkolzin? Didn't get to watch him at all through this tourney.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
If he were to come over, i'm sure it would be AHL
He's pretty young, he probably would be better in the CHL and billet vs go on the road in the US w a bunch of guys 5 - 10 yrs older w half his skill. I think thats why he's in Finland so he doesnt have to much on his plate other than development.

Genu

Mar 19, 2011
Finland
He's pretty young, he probably would be better in the CHL and billet vs go on the road in the US w a bunch of guys 5 - 10 yrs older w half his skill. I think thats why he's in Finland so he doesnt have to much on his plate other than development.
I guess, but going from adults to guys his age might also not do any favors to him. Interesting to see if he comes over next year.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I guess, but going from adults to guys his age might also not do any favors to him. Interesting to see if he comes over next year.
I agree it would be interesting. I think they are taking a page from Kopi's development.. he played in SHL underage and went straight to the Kings when was 19...Maybe Kupari could make the team next year - or he may need another year or more of development - and then where he plays could be up in the air. I cant find out if any team in the CHL drafted him.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
So the Soo drafted him? I think that Fin league is rated higher then the O but I think it may be better to play the NHL style vs Euro

First, congrads to your team...great game.

The Kings signed Kupari already and he is on loan this season to Karpat. He turns 19 right when the reg season ends in Finland, around March 15. I suspect Karpat
will go deep in the playoffs and if there is time left in North America, he will come over and play in the AHL or NHL. I do not think there is a chance Kupari plays another
season in Finland. He will probably make the Kings next season. If he doesn't, he will start in the AHL.

The Kings will be radically different than their roster as of today, come October. Some will get dealt by the deadline Feb 25 and some contracts expire
and others may be dealt in off-season. Too difficult to project Oct 2019. Jaret Anderson-Dolan may make the team and Kale Clague may be coming on
for a D spot.

Will be interesting to see if the Kings sign Prokhorkin and if Mikey Anderson leaves Minn-Duluth. His brother Joey left there after 2 years and
signed with NJ and has had a few games up with them this year....the kid has such poise and skates well, sees the game well, looks confident,
hardly any giveaways and connects almost all of his passes...and has a good shot. He brought the puck into the zone on the tying goal and also
was there in the crease when Kakko scored - but cannot blame him, as he had Lundell tied up...and he still almost got the puck. I hope he signs
and plays in the AHL next season. Anderson was a Freshman on the NCAA champion and almost captained a Gold medal at WJC.
Pretty epic. Mature and a leader. Future captain possibly. Excellent hockey sense.

Kupari almost scored what would have been the game winner, entering the zone with speed and his shot was targeted for upper goal and
it basically hit Primeau...may have scored on a shorter goalie. Kupari looked good the last 2 games and glad he had the experience and
took Gold.

Reactions: Have

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Can’t believe we got Mikey in the fourth round. He’s definitely the kind of player you need in the locker room, Willie Mitchell type of guy. Exactly what the Kings need down the line. Future can’t get here soon enough, tired of watching overpaid has beens.
Also got Markus Phillips a few picks later! That draft class with some much needed health could be just what we need!

Reactions: BallPointHammer

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
If we can get Phillips signed (I suspect that is a no brainer now after starting for Team Canada) by June 15th (we lose his rights if not signed by then) and convince Mikey Anderson to drop out of school, it will definitely help the D pipeline. I suspect this is the last year for the Lintuniemi experiment, I don't expect him to be qualified. Moverare may come over next year too, but his lack of skating speed could be an issue. Reddenkopp to me is a career ECHLer, I like Strand's potential and of course there is Clague. Hults could be in the picture too. Walker has stepped up, needs to improve his D. Brickley in the mix too. Spots are there, especially if Martinez and or Muzzin are moved, Fantenberg isn't re-signed (UFA), and/or Phaneuf is bought out.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The CHL is the ultimate go for it league.

The teams have the benefit of knowing that everyone will be on the team no longer than 4 years or so, which makes it easier to trade away picks for top players when you want to go for it, and when you aren't going for it, you can trade your top players for picks to other teams who are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad