World Juniors - 2015 and 2017?

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Does anyone know if Winnipeg has applied for the WJC in 2015 or (EDIT) 2017?

Both years' tournaments are assigned to Canada, but apparently not awarded yet.

Halifax, Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton/Calgary, Regina/Saskatoon - all have hosted recently.

Figure Winnipeg would be up next -- but I can't think of the secondary arena site (which would need renovations)...Brandon? Selkirk?

Would TNSE run the tournament and take control of any secondary site which is chosen?

Last edited:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Brandon would work. But I heard Toronto and Montreal are going to apply to co-host both years. Gotta think they'll get their bids with how hockey works in Canada.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
There was a joint bid by Winnipeg/Brandon for the 2010 and 2012 WJC. As far as renovations to a secondary venue, Wesman Place (Keystone Centre) had major upgrades done as part of their hosting of the Memorial Cup in 2010. I don't think anything other than minor touches would be needed.

Canada is assured the WJC in 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2021. I would be pretty shocked if Winnipeg wasn't the host for one of those years.

Lux Aurumque*

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
When was the last time we hosted? 1999? Would be nice to get in on one of the years listed above. 2005 in Grand Forks was fun but I'd rather take a bus for 10 minutes downtown. :D

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Found this article.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/story/2012/01/05/sp-world-juniors-canada-bids.html

"Nicholson doesn't rule out inter-provincial bids. For example, Manitoba and Saskatchewan could join forces with Winnipeg's MTS Centre as the main arena for one of the two pools and the medal round, with either Saskatoon or Regina hosting the other pool's games."

Saskatoon wouldn't be a great idea

That is pretty far away (when hosting a hockey tournament)

Brandon seems more logical, in terms of distance.

But does Keystone have a reasonable seating capacity to host such a tournament?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
When was the last time we hosted? 1999? Would be nice to get in on one of the years listed above. 2005 in Grand Forks was fun but I'd rather take a bus for 10 minutes downtown. :D

Yup. I saw the Sedins, and Swedes, get their butts kicked there. Swedes going in as the favorites, were seen as a big, skilled team, but couldn't get it done.

Also remember Brian Finley (Can) in warm-up, couldn't stop a beach ball. Continued that play into the NHL, as i recall. :sarcasm:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I could see Brandon having trouble selling out. Its pretty far so i dount many people from Winnipeg woukd commute for non-Canadian games, and Brandon doesn't have the population to sell out others games.

intoronto1125

Jan 1, 2013
It would be smart to let 2015 be cohosted by Toronto/Hamilton and 2017 By Montreal/Quebec City (new arena).

Toomuts

Jun 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't believe either Markham's or Quebec's new arena will be complete by 2015 so I would think Winnipeg's best shot would be in 2015 or 2021.

As Winnipeg (True North) has put bids in for both 2010 & 2012, and with the display of the demand for the Jets as well as the past success with the Women's World Championship in 2007 they should be a shoe-in for one of the 4 years Canada is hosting.

My prediction:
2015 - Winnipeg/Brandon
2017 - Montreal/Quebec (New arena)
2019 - Markham (New arena) /Toronto or Hamilton
2021 - Maritimes or Vancouver

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The bidding amounts for the World Juniors is huge now. And it results in correspondingly high ticket prices. Back in 1998-99, Winnipeg paid $1 million dollars to secure the World Juniors. I remember paying $230 or so for my ten game pack which included 3 Canadian games, Canada's QF match, Canada's semifinal match, and the Bronze and Gold Medal Games. My seat was just inside the blueline and about row 10 - 15 in the lower level.

Nowadays, bids for the World Juniors are usually in excess of $10 million and that means tickets packages, like the ones I bought, would probably work out to around $100 per game. The average ticket price would probably be similar to what we pay for the Jets right now.

As an aside, I think Calgary and Edmonton were selling 15 game packs last year(which they apparently sold out) for $1500 or so per package. Not sure how many seats were at that price point though. Nonetheless we should be expecting similar prices if Winnipeg was to host. Now I'm pretty confident Winnipeg would sellout those packages no problem, but I have a hard time believing Brandon could sellout their games at similar prices, especially when you consider they wouldn't receive any of the premium games. ANd we would need most of these games to be sellouts or near sellouts for Winnipeg to turn a profit.

Maybe the solution lies in that arena/agricultural proposal at the Ex site, the one with the 5,000 seat arena.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ex-plans-present-a-challenge-144560765.html?device=mobile

IF that gets built, that means all or nearly all the games could be held in Winnipeg. Anybody know what's the latest on that proposal?

Regardless, it will probably be several years before that's resolved so you would probably be looking at 2017 before that could be considered a viable alternative anyways. I still hope we get the World Juniors in the next 6 years or so.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Anyone know if TNSE has put in a bid for 2015/2017/etc?

I don't believe either Markham's or Quebec's new arena will be complete by 2015 so I would think Winnipeg's best shot would be in 2015 or 2021.

As Winnipeg (True North) has put bids in for both 2010 & 2012, and with the display of the demand for the Jets as well as the past success with the Women's World Championship in 2007 they should be a shoe-in for one of the 4 years Canada is hosting.

My prediction:
2015 - Winnipeg/Brandon
2017 - Montreal/Quebec (New arena)
2019 - Markham (New arena) /Toronto or Hamilton
2021 - Maritimes or Vancouver

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Toronto and Montreal will be next. We are also after Vancouver. Look for us in 2021 at best.

Gungagalunga

Dec 31, 2012
Under a rock
Figure Winnipeg would be up next -- but I can't think of the secondary arena site (which would need renovations)...Brandon? Selkirk?

I always wondered why Max Bell was never upgraded on the North side (if memory serves correct). It used to seat in the 1500 range but I would assume with some modest infrastructure, could be upgraded to the 5K mark. Just a guess though.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It would be logistically cheaper to put together a Winnipeg/Grand Forks bid than Winnipeg/Saskatoon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->