World Junior Standouts you knew would be impact NHLers

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Who are some players that caught your eye in their WJC years that you thought would make good NHLers?

Just going to do recent ones for myself because I don't remember most of the 2000s.

Pastrnak I loved and thought he had the makings of a top 10 pick.

Teravainen I thought was very impressive, and he's recently started to vindicate that feeling.

Chabot and Barzal were both players I could tell were going to be special. Great skaters.

Adam Fox and Gaudreau I could see had some great offensive instincts at that age.

Really liked Kupari last year.

Any players that have jumped out at you over the years as being a little underrated before they make the NHL?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McAvoy, Chabot and Keller from the Gold Medal Game a few years back.

Nurse was great the year Canada won it.

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Draisaitl in his draft -2 season. Men against boys, but just didn't have the linemates.

McAvoy is also a good shout. Kuznetsov as well. Seth Jones.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Pastrnak in 2015, didnt have much in terms of teammates but he had the puck on a string

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Combo Tatar - Viedensky - Panik was very good. But only Tatar made it to real NHL player. With all respect to Panik, his NHL career isnt that, what we expected.

Jaroslav Janus and Denis Godla.

Ok, im turning this into WJC and NHL disappointments, so i will stop.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Aho
Kuznetsov
Makar
Svechnikov

Completely sold on these after the WJC. Felt pretty good about Alex Nylander after his first tournament too...

On the other hand, Galchenyuk is probably my least favorite top prospect of all time. Had a strong feeling he wouldn't become much better than the average NHL player.

Reactions: Jayevs

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
If only you youngsters were around to see Peter Forsberg dominate like no one before or since. 31 points in that single tournament in ‘93! His outing against Canada stands out to me as one of the most impactful single game efforts I’ve ever seen. There was little doubt that this guy was going to tear it up in the NHL.

Reactions: AB13 and LAKings88

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Iginla really carried Canada as an 18 year old in 1996. Dominant tournament for him.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Tarasenko, Kuznetsov. Didn't even think about Panarin back to then, ans he's turned out to be the best out of them.

I think, Kaprizov is going to be ok in the NHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Tarasenko, Kuznetsov. Didn't even think about Panarin back to then, ans he's turned out to be the best out of them.

I think, Kaprizov is going to be ok in the NHL.
Since when is Panarin the best of the three? Did I miss something? Your perspective is marred. Yes, he went undrafted, so in terms of underrated he is the biggest success story.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He’s definitely the highest scoring of all three and the most consistent.
Not a stretch at all to say he’s the best of the three.
He is not the highest scoring. Unless you start cherry picking the last couple of seasons for no reason and even then he just scored a couple more points. At the time when Panarin was still developing and had his real breakout in 2013-14 the other two were outscoring him easilz in the KHL and in the NHL already.

Tarasenko's career might be in jeopardy with all the shoulder injuries and he might never again score similar numbers, but that does not belong into the discussion of who is the better player. Injuries happen.

Also if we are talking playoffs. Both Kuznetsov and Tarasenko won their rings. Kuznetsov also being an absolute monster in that Cup run. Panarin still has some work to do until he reaches that level, while he is obviously close and not a distant third in the trio.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
He is not the highest scoring. Unless you start cherry picking the last couple of seasons for no reason and even then he just scored a couple more points. At the time when Panarin was still developing and had his real breakout in 2013-14 the other two were outscoring him easilz in the KHL and in the NHL already.

Tarasenko's career might be in jeopardy with all the shoulder injuries and he might never again score similar numbers, but that does not belong into the discussion of who is the better player. Injuries happen.

Also if we are talking playoffs. Both Kuznetsov and Tarasenko won their rings. Kuznetsov also being an absolute monster in that Cup run. Panarin still has some work to do until he reaches that level, while he is obviously close and not a distant third in the trio.
I’m talking about right now.
Since Panarin entered the league in the 2015-16 season, he has scored 357pts in 352 games. Good for 7th overall in the league during that time frame.
Kuznetsov is 17th (322/349)
Tarasenko is 27th(293/328)

Since entering the league, Panarin has been statistically the best out of the three.
I don’t even think it’s a debate really. Panarin is objectivity the best of the three.

As for you telling the other user to “check up on his hockey knowledge”... I think you should take your own advice before throwing around accusations like that.

Reactions: Dempsey and cg98

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Mark Stone, Cale Makar and Thomas Chabot just off the top of my head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->