WJC: World Junior Journal – Team Canada Needs MacKinnon, Drouin and Shinkaruk

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I know HF doesn't like to hear it but this is very much a 19-year-old's tournament; draft eligible forwards typically don't excel and having three of them on Canada in a lockout year is something I just don't see happening and for good reason.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
I know HF doesn't like to hear it but this is very much a 19-year-old's tournament; draft eligible forwards typically don't excel and having three of them on Canada in a lockout year is something I just don't see happening and for good reason.

Canada has refused to take players like Seguin and RNH for 3 years now, and where has this gotten the team?

When was the last time Canada won gold? When Tavares tore the tournament apart? Twice?

It would be a huge mistake not to take MacKinnon.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly

Hear ya, Lessy & I've highlight the same in the article.

I honestly see 2 of 3 making the final cut as being more realistic, but you may be right - it may only be MacKinnon. Drouin and Shinkaruk bring unique talents to the team, however, and even given the lockout, this might be the exception to the rule. Tough call, either way.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The point made about Dumba in the article is well-taken. I always find it interesting that players of his ilk always have coaching staffs trying to tinker with their game in order to make it more "well-rounded." I really think you take away their effectiveness overall, even with some gaps.

bananaz

Oct 26, 2006
Canada
I was at the game on Tuesday, Mackinnon was very noticeable offensively and some good chances. I think he has done enough to make the team.

Shinkaruk had a decent game. I didnt notice him in the first two periods, but he really turned it on in the 3rd.

Drouin was average in my eyes. He took advantage of a few bad give aways but couldnt generate an offensive chance on those.

Mackinnon imo is the only lock. Shinkaruk has a better chance than Drouin; that said I would be pretty surprised to see TC take 2 draft eligible players to Ufa.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
I was at the game on Tuesday, Mackinnon was very noticeable offensively and some good chances. I think he has done enough to make the team.

Shinkaruk had a decent game. I didnt notice him in the first two periods, but he really turned it on in the 3rd.

Drouin was average in my eyes. He took advantage of a few bad give aways but couldnt generate an offensive chance on those.

Mackinnon imo is the only lock. Shinkaruk has a better chance than Drouin; that said I would be pretty surprised to see TC take 2 draft eligible players to Ufa.

Agree with your Red-White game thoughts. Drouin stepped it up on Wednesday showing more than a few glimpses of what he brings to the table.

arsmaster*

Shinkaruk is a 94' 3 months younger than Hudon, same experience in CHL as Reinhart, Dumba, Pouliott, Rielly....

I can see about Drouin (and him needing Mackinnon), but Shinkaruk and Monahan aren't you're typical draft eligibles they are already 18.

arsmaster*

Canada has refused to take players like Seguin and RNH for 3 years now, and where has this gotten the team?

When was the last time Canada won gold? When Tavares tore the tournament apart? Twice?

Context, my good man, you need to view things in Context...Mackinnon is in his 2nd year in the CHL, Drouin is playing his first full season.

John Tavares in his first tournament was already is his 3rd OHL season (like Shinkaruk)...John Tavares is clearly an 'exception' here, not to mention, his birthdate made him 5 days too old for the 2008 draft (where he likely would have went top 3...at least).

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury

I'm glad they took Mackinnon and thought they would all along. Yes Seguin and RNH got cut but Canada didn't lose those years because they didn't score, they lost because they couldn't keep the puck out of the net. If they lose this year it's going to be for that same reason because this team is heavily tilted towards offensive flair rather than defensive play and physicality. The over/under on games should be 15.5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad