U20: World Junior A Challenge

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Russia won in OT 6-5.

Game winning goal was a nice pass by Veniamin Baranov (who looks like a legit D prospect) who dove and pushed the loose puck to Chekhovich for a breakaway goal.

Russia has a strong team, but winning this tournament with a 4th string goalie will be tough.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The Swiss (?!) open the scoring about halfway through the first. Svechnikov and Kostin have been showing off their power moves but no results for them yet. Kostin puts a rebound top shelf to tie the game at 1 on the PP. A bad giveaway by Bitsadze leads to Switzerland's second goal, though Bitsadze played well outside of this gaffe. #15 on Switzerland, Justin Sigrist, had both goals. End of the first, 2-1 Switzerland even though Russia controlled most of the play. Dedov looked out of his element for most of the game tonight and I'm wondering why he is on the first pair and on the first PP.

Onto the second period, and Russia seems determined to make some offense. Marushev almost scored on a wraparound, and the Lipanov/Svechnikov show was on as well. Kostin took a diving penalty while he bulled his way to the net on a power play entry but the trip was called as well. It seemed like more of a even-out call than a total flop from my angle, but Kostin is definitely too big and strong to go down that easy. Russia then scored on the PP, pretty unremarkable goal. Later, after a really bad icing by a Russian d-man, the Swiss scored off of a faceoff play to make it 3-2. Then Svechnikov put in a rebound with Lipanov's help to tie the game back up. Then, kind of out of nowhere, the Swiss spent about a minute in Russia's zone and were able to convert a goal at the end of their possession. Shortly after that, Kostin went off in severe pain, but I don't think he missed a shift. It's s till a little concerning, as in all 3 games of his that I've watched, he's gone off in each one. Regardless, 4-3 Switzerland after two.

Right at the start of the 3rd period, Baranov (who I thought played a very, very strong game) stood up a Swiss player who was breaking out of the Swiss end, and Lipanov went back on a partial break. He tried to pass it over to Kostin for a tap in but it went in off of the Swiss defender. 4-4. Svechnikov really started playing exciting in the 3rd, and he made a few end to end rushes, always with a power move to the front of the net at the end. He wasn't successful on any of them tonight, but he must have inspired Chekhovich, who dangled a few guys in the neutral zone, then let go a shot that Svechnikov tapped in after it bounced off of the end boards for the 5-4 Russia lead. The Swiss did manage to tie it off of a rush later in the period. Kostin tried to throw a big hit on the puck carrier on the end boards but he missed him and then the puck went in. It was 5-5 at the end of regulation.

OT looked like it would solve nothing, but after Switzerland's only chance of the OT period on a 3 on 2 rush, Baranov made a desperation clear/pass that ended up springing Chekhovich on a breakaway with only 3 seconds left. He went forehand-to-backhand-to-top-shelf to win the game.

Switzerland definitely did a lot better than I expected tonight. They played a very structured defensive zone game and even though they lost on the shot clock handily, they didn't let Russia into the high-danger areas very often. Most of their goals were scored off of sloppiness by the Russian players in their own end. They always seemed a step slower and a foot smaller than the Russian players but they stood their ground very well and made the most of their opportunities.

I expected Russia to dominate a little more, but a win is a win I suppose. They could have been a little tired due to the back-to-back. I've heard rumors that this tournament is a sort-of tryout for Kostin to make the u20 team and based on what I've seen through 3 games I'd much rather take Lipanov, Chekhovich, or Svechnikov over him. They don't dominate physically like he does but they seem a lot better at creating offense consistently. Lipanov in particular has surprised me, I don't know how he only has 2 points in 9 MHL games but he should have way more. He reminds me of a Backlund-type center, always in the right place, always makes the smart play.

It was a pretty good game, now let's see what Canada East and USA have to show.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Lipanov also have 7 points in 17 VHL games this season, which is no joke for a 17-year-old.

Chekhovich, Lipanov and Svech might have outplayed Kostin, but they have each other. That's just an excellent line. Kostin's line hasn't been as effective. Bitsadze has been inconsistent.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Lipanov also have 7 points in 17 VHL games this season, which is no joke for a 17-year-old.

Chekhovich, Lipanov and Svech might have outplayed Kostin, but they have each other. That's just an excellent line. Kostin's line hasn't been as effective. Bitsadze has been inconsistent.

and what about Slepets?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
and what about Slepets?

If I hadn't heard any hype about him I would be completely unaware that he is supposedly a 1st/2nd round talent. He hasn't been playing alongside a whole lot of talent but he's been very unremarkable in the games I've watched.

Also, USA just defeated Canada East 3-1. Swaney and Dow were players of the game, but the Canadian goalie was the only guy who kept this game close.

The round robin is over, on to the playoffs.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The matchups for the quarterfinals are now set. Russia and Canada East earned themselves a bye straight into the semis and will have a much needed day off.

The US gets screwed pretty hard by the schedule, as they'll be playing 3 in 3 on short rest against Switzerland (also on a back-to-back) in the early game tomorrow.

Canada West then takes on the Czech Republic in the late game. The Czechs managed to shutout the states so this game could go either way. Both teams had today off, so they should be fully ready to go by tomorrow.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lipanov is very good. I put him at 31 in my most recent 2017 top 31. I was going back and forth debating whether to put him or another player at 31, and I think I made a good decision to put him at 31.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The USA ended up beating Switzerland big today. They'll play their 4th game in 4 days tomorrow in the early semi-final against Russia.

Canada West lost a thriller in a shoot-out against the Czech Republic. Canada trailed for most of the game until they scored two goals on a lengthy 5 on 3 that carried over into the 3rd period. They went ahead on a late power play goal and almost nursed a one goal lead home, but the Czechs scored off of a face off with less than 5 seconds left to send it to OT. OT solved nothing, and the Czech goalie was perfect in the shootout.

The Czechs will play Canada East in the late semi-final tomorrow.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Do you watch game of Canada East ? What your thoughts about Hould/Chapleau/Cantalli/Thierus ? Not a good prospect but couple of my old teamates

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Do you watch game of Canada East ? What your thoughts about Hould/Chapleau/Cantalli/Thierus ? Not a good prospect but couple of my old teamates

Hould seemed like a perfectly capable puck-moving D. I noticed him positively in the o-zone and didn't notice him in the d-zone, which is probably pretty good.

Chapleau seemed solid, although fairly unremarkable. I feel like Canada East doesn't really have anyone that stands out ahead of the rest of the team (like Makar for West), most of the players seemed roughly equal to each other. One of the better offensive options on the team.

I didn't watch the game Cantali played, I can't tell you much about him.

I noticed Thierus positively in the o-zone quite often. He seemed to be playing a depth role but he was solid and never tried to get too fancy. Good forechecker.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Damn, just noticed the huge age gap between USA and Russia. I mean we even have some 1997s playing against 2000s. Surely these USA players can't be legitimate NHL prospects?

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Damn, just noticed the huge age gap between USA and Russia. I mean we even have some 1997s playing against 2000s. Surely these USA players can't be legitimate NHL prospects?

They are, though mainly the 99s and few 98 I expect will be drafted.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Canada East beats the Czech Republic in OT! I didn't know Thierus had those wheels.

So the final will be Canada East vs USA on Saturday.

Canada West will play Switzerland in the 5th place game tomorrow afternoon, and Russia will play the Czechs in the Bronze medal game tomorrow evening.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Svechnikov 3+1 in 7-4 victory over Czechs. He was by far the best player of the tournament being one of the youngest.

If Svechnikov is this good at age 16, it makes you wonder what he will be like when he turns 19. He is unbelievable.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Frustrating to see Russia lose despite Svechnikov playing out of his mind.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I'm interested what people think about Nikita Okhotyuk, who is really young for this tournament.

I mean Svechnikov and Galenyuk playing in this tournament as 16 year-olds is impressive, but both will turn 17 soon.

Okhotyuk just turned 16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->