Daniil Lobanov
Maxim Marushev
Denis Mikhnin
Ivan Muranov
Kirill Slepets
Andrey Svechnikov

brito

Dec 4, 2015
USA roster includes two players that were selected in the 2016 NHL Draft. Collin Adams (Brighton, Mich./Muskegon Lumberjacks) was drafted by the New York Islanders in the sixth round (170th), and Jake Ryczek (Ludlow, Mass./Waterloo Black Hawks) was selected by the Chicago Blackhawks in the seventh round (203rd). Nine other players are eligible for the NHL Draft for the first time in 2017.

Defenseman Matt Hellickson (St. Louis Park, Minn./Sioux City Musketeers), was a member of the 2016 U.S. Men’s National Under-18 Team that earned a bronze medal at the International Ice Hockey Federation Under-18 Men’s World Championship last April in Grand Forks, N.D.

In addition, six players have competed in the CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game, an annual event featuring the top American players eligible for the NHL Draft. Mikey Anderson (Roseville, Minn./Waterloo Black Hawks), Brannon McManus (Huntington Beach, Calif./Omaha Lancers), Mick Messner (Madison, Wis./Madison Capitols), Clayton Phillips (Edina, Minn./Fargo Force) and Cayden Primeau (Voorhees, N.J./Lincoln Stars) took part in the 2016 event, while Alex Green (Chicago, Ill./Lincoln Stars) played in the 2015 game.

Team USA will play a pre-tournament game against Canada West at 9:30 p.m. ET on Dec. 9 at the Cold Lake Energy Centre in Cold Lake, Alberta. The U.S. opens the tournament against the Czech Republic at 5:30 p.m. ET on Dec. 12 at R.J. Lalonde Arena.

All World Junior A Challenge games will be streamed live at HockeyTV.

For complete coverage of Team USA at the 2016 World Junior A Challenge, click here.

NOTES: Twelve USHL teams are represented on the roster. The Fargo Force, Lincoln Stars, Tri-City Storm and Waterloo Black Hawks lead the way with three players each … The 21 players represent 11 different states. Minnesota has the most representatives with nine, while Michigan and Wisconsin each have two … Marc Boxer (Colorado Springs, Colo.) will serve as general manager of the 2016 U.S. Junior Select Team … Jay Varady (Sioux City, Iowa/Sioux City Musketeers) will serve as head coach, while JB Bittner (Dubuque, Iowa/Dubuque Fighting Saints) and Chris Hartsburg (Lincoln, Neb./Lincoln Stars) will be assistant coaches … The World Junior A Challenge is in its eleventh year, and the U.S. is competing for the tenth time … The 2016 field includes Canada East, Canada West, Czech Republic, Russia, Switzerland and the United States … Team USA has captured the World Junior A Challenge title six times (2008-10, 2012-14).

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Players to watch (non comprehensive, please suggest more)

Canada East
Bryce Misley
Finn Evans
Jack McBain

Canada West
Cale Makar
Ian Mitchell
Johnny Tychonick

Russia
Andrei Svechnikov
Klim Kostin
Denis Mikhnin
Kirin Slepets (to figure out why he is such an enigma)

US
Collin Adams
Cayden Primeau
Dayton Rasmussen

Czech Republic
David Kvasnicka
Petr Kodytek
Kristian Reichel
Several other players catch my eye too based on EP scouting

Switzerland
I have no idea who is good for them

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Just about every forward on Russia is worth watching (I don't know anything about Klepko nor Muranov). Okhotyuk and Galenyuk are both worth watching on D.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon

Czech roster. Mostly 98 with some 97 and one 99.

I thought Major Junior players weren't generally allowed at this tournament? I know in the past they have let them in for the bottom rung World Juniors teams like Denmark. But I am surprised the Czechs could have them.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Russia beat Canada East 5-2 in their pre-tournament game. Svechnikov had 3 points, with two nice assists and a beauty goal. The rest of team Russia was very good as well.

The only bad news is that Kostin left the game after going hard into the boards late in the first. He stayed on the bench to finish the period but didn't come out for the 2nd or 3rd. Hopefully it's just precautionary.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Players to watch (non comprehensive, please suggest more)

Canada East
Bryce Misley
Finn Evans
Jack McBain

Canada West
Cale Makar
Ian Mitchell
Johnny Tychonick

Russia
Andrei Svechnikov
Klim Kostin
Denis Mikhnin
Kirin Slepets (to figure out why he is such an enigma)

US
Collin Adams
Cayden Primeau
Dayton Rasmussen

Czech Republic
David Kvasnicka
Petr Kodytek
Kristian Reichel
Several other players catch my eye too based on EP scouting

Switzerland
I have no idea who is good for them

The main player to watch on Canada East is Cam Crotty..another one to keep an eye on is Dow.

Is Lipanov at the tournament? If so, he's worth keeping an eye on.

On the US there are several others to watch including Washe, Johnson, Anderson, Limoges and Green. All should be drafted this season..Anderson may be a second rounder.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Well I noticed that Lipanov is definitely there..had 1g 2a last night vs. Canada East. Pretty talented..may be a top 90 prospect.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Canada East takes their first game, defeating the Czechs 4-1. Dow was ejected (5+gm) late in the 2nd after running the Czech goalie while the netminder was playing the puck. The Czechs scored their only goal on the resulting powerplay.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Appreciate it Connor McDaigle, please follow the Russians closely, I'm interested in many of their players at this tournament.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Appreciate it Connor McDaigle, please follow the Russians closely, I'm interested in many of their players at this tournament.

I'm going to go see the Russia vs Canada West game tomorrow night. I won't be able to do game updates but I'll post some impressions post game if nobody else does. I was super impressed when I saw them on Friday in the pre-tournament. I hope Kostin is healthy enough to play, I'd really like to get a better look at him.

5-1 for the Canadians through 2. Shots are 33-12. The Canadians PP is lethal thanks to Makar and Mitchell being very good puck movers. Makar has 4 points so far tonight.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Shots are 10-9 for USA over Czech Republic after 1. Still scoreless.

Second intermission, still 0-0.

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Back from the Canada West-Russia game. It was pretty good fun.

The Czech-USA game ended 1-0 for the Czechs. The Czech goalie made 30 saves for the shutout.

In the Canada West-Russia game the Canadians controlled most of the pace early but didn't really manage to get any quality chances. Kostin's line was Russia's best in the first, and they managed to score the first goal. The second goal was an impressive effort by Chekhovich and Lipanov, and the most costly of Seiferling's many mistakes. Svechnikov was unnoticeable in the first, but Russia spent a lot of time in the box and he doesn't play PK. Russia's PK duo of Chekhovich and Lipanov were very effective. 2-0 Russia after 1. Bitsadze also showed off his hands all night.

In the second, the Canadians came out with tons of jump, but took a penalty. However, Turnbull made an excellent read on a loose puck in the neutral zone and earned a breakaway that he potted with a nice move to make it 2-1. He was easily Canada's most impressive player tonight and he is remarkably sturdy for a small guy. Several larger players bounced right off him as they tried to hit him. Canada then kept the pressure on and scored on a deflection on Seiferling's point shot when the Svechnikov line got trapped in their zone. A bit of redemption for him there. After that, Chekhovich got caught throwing a pick off an o-zone faceoff, and with one of their best penalty killers in the box, Canada made it 3-2 on the power play, Turnbull again. Later in the period, Kostin had a few nice rushes where he abused his size advantage to get up ice basically untouched. He made some good plays off of some rushes, but Canada was able to keep him well-defended. I noticed Makar's good stick a few times tonight. To end the period, Russia got a powerplay. Lipanov and Svechnikov played catch and Svechnikov put home a one-timer to make it 3-3 going into the 3rd. I didn't get a great look at the shot since it was on the far side, but there really didn't look like there was much space to get it through at all.

In the 3rd, the Russians came out flying and scored two quick goals. Less than 30 seconds in, on a breakout, Svechnikov passed to Chekhovich, who passed back to Svechnikov, who sent a perfect cross crease backhand pass to Lipanov who buried the go ahead goal. It was a very nice play. Then on their next shift, they got a cycle going and eventually Chekhovich was able to bounce one in off of the Canadian goalie after a shot missed the net. About halfway through the 3rd period, Dedov made an incredibly irresponsible play with the puck in the o-zone near the end of a Russian power-play, which led to a breakaway and penalty shot for Canada. Canada didn't score. After that, the Canadian press was on. The defense started activating, with Makar making several nice rushes. He's tremendously good at getting around guys in the neutral zone. Eventually, with about 2 minutes left, Russia managed to take two penalties to make it a 5-3 to end the game. Makar started doing his best PK Subban impersonation and was able to fire blast after blast at the Russian goalie. The Russians did not surrender any goals though, and managed to win 5-3.

Turnbull was (deservedly) Canada's player of the game, and the Russian goalie Raiko was Russia's. I personally think that Lipanov deserved it tonight. He was all over the ice and contributed as much defensively as he did offensively. It was a very entertaining game.

I really liked Lipanov and Chekhovich from the Russians tonight. Their offensive and defensive positioning were very solid, and they were able to make themselves very available to support Svechnikov and receive his fantastic passes.

From Canada Turnbull was very good, and Makar was quite solid, even if he didn't make a huge offensive impact. I have to give credit to Mitchell as well for a solid performance. Seiferling was not good at all for the first 30 minutes, but he settled down and managed to play a fairly mistake-free second half of the game.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
^^

Thanks for the review McDaigle (hate your name, McJesus is nothing like Daigle :laugh:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad