U20: World Junior A Challenge (Dec. 13-19)

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I think you're underestimating team russia

Yes, I clearly was. I saw the Canada East/Russia game, and USA/Canada West game, and the latter was played at a much higher tempo. Pair that with the fact that Canada West beat Russia 6-1 in an exhibition game, and I was convinced we'd get a repeat of USA/Canada West in the final. The Russians seem to turn it on when they need to. They always seem tough to read in tournaments.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
A lot of very good players on this young russian squad. Pretty odd that there are some 1999's competing with guys turning 20 though lol

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Canada West played really well. Seems like HC is really changing the playing style of their teams. Speed, aggressiveness, skill is what HC looks for in building a team now. This team wasn't the biggest but they were the fastest and most skilled in the tournament and played a up tempo, energy game.

These type of teams HC selects have Mike Babcock written all over it and I think after the Olympics, HC changed how their mind-set in picking teams.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Canada West played really well. Seems like HC is really changing the playing style of their teams. Speed, aggressiveness, skill is what HC looks for in building a team now. This team wasn't the biggest but they were the fastest and most skilled in the tournament and played a up tempo, energy game.

These type of teams HC selects have Mike Babcock written all over it and I think after the Olympics, HC changed how their mind-set in picking teams.

I really thought Russia had the most skill. They were on average a year younger than Canada West. But your point stands. I loved West's style of game.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Solid showing by Russia. A bit unlucky in places. Played well defensively which is most important.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Draft Analyst Tournament Recap: 2015 WJAC

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/recaps/wjac-2015/

If I had to identify some big-time winners from this tournament in terms of draft exposure, I'd say (in no specific order):

Jost
Rubtsov
Zimmer
Jozefek
Reichel
Karafiat
Kayumov
Alexeev
Mescheryakov
Maltsev
Makar
Grant

Guys like Knierim needed a good one, and I guess he kinda did. Fabbro didn't hurt or improve his draft stock. I think Doudera, Ivanyuzhenkov, Stadler, Miranda, Iakovenko (among others) didnt help theirs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad