World JR. A Hockey Challenge

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I’ve never even heard of it before, what tournament is this? Are you talking about the World Junior A Challenge?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I’ve never even heard of it before, what tournament is this? Are you talking about the World Junior A Challenge?

Yeah, probably. As far as I understand, Canada will play mostly 2nd tier junior leagues players, but as to Russia, we'll have some of the top U18 players like Mukhamadullin, Guschin, Ponomarev, Chaika, Yan Kuznetsov, Khusnutdinov.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Yeah, probably. As far as I understand, Canada will play mostly 2nd tier junior leagues players, but as to Russia, we'll have some of the top U18 players like Mukhamadullin, Guschin, Ponomarev, Chaika, Yan Kuznetsov, Khusnutdinov.
...I've noticed many Russian names end with -ov, -ev, and -in, what does the suffix mean?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
...I've noticed many Russian names end with -ov, -ev, and -in, what does the suffix mean?

It's kinda similar to Swedish -son ending, but not literally. Literally it means a possessive quality. Like, Svechnik means Chandler and Svechnikov means belonging to Svechnik i.e. son of Svechnik, Svechnikova would mean daughter of Svechnik.

The same with -ev and -in, because Russian is such a language, that you have different possessive endings.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Starts December 7, 2019. It’s the U-19 World Junior A Challenge.

For Canada we send our non major junior players (meaning no WHL, OHL, or QMJHL players attend).

There’s still plenty of good talent playing tier 2 junior as these players remain NCAA eligible, guys like Cale Makar and Kyle Turris have played in this tournament.

Andrei Svechnikov had an outstanding tournament a few years ago at this putting up 12 points in 4 games.

It’s a good tournament and good hockey. Not U-20 WJC level obviously, but it’s still good hockey.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think that this is the World Junior A Challenge.

World Junior A Challenge - Wikipedia

I mainly know that USA is usually the strongest given the development program, Russia is usually very strong, Canada is split up and the West is generally stronger.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
World Junior A challenge. Ages 16-19 in Canada eligible, and only a handful of Canada's players, from both teams combined, will ave NHL draft chances.

Here are their rosters this year

Canada East U19 at eliteprospects.com

Zach Biggar is the only name there for the East, and he's not a legit NHL prospect yet at this point.

West have Kent Johnson, Carter Savoie, Massimo Rizzo (Carolina 7th rounder), Corson Cuelmans, Peter Reynolds, and Finlay Williams at their camp, 4-5 top 3 round picks there.

Team West is much better than team East.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
My mistake. I've only really seen clips from this tournament when there is a good Canadian prospect involved.

USAH usually does really well here nonetheless because the USHL is a good league and they send a mature team, Canada splits its squads, and Russia sends a younger team.

It's a fun tournament to watch if you get the chance. Some great prospects play in it.

Reactions: snipes

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
World Junior A challenge. Ages 16-19 in Canada eligible, and only a handful of Canada's players, from both teams combined, will ave NHL draft chances.

Zach Biggar is the only name there for the East, and he's not a legit NHL prospect yet at this point.

West have Kent Johnson, Carter Savoie, Massimo Rizzo (Carolina 7th rounder), Corson Cuelmans, Peter Reynolds, and Finlay Williams at their camp, 4-5 top 3 round picks there.

I agree but: See Jordan Spence

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Team Russia roster:

GK
Yegor Guskov
Maxim Motorygin
Bogdan Nefyodov

D
Daniil Chayka
Artyom Grushnikov
Kirill Kirsanov
Yan Kuznetsov
Shakir Mukhamadullin
Kirill Steklov
Alexei Yegorov
Filat Zotov

FW
Nikita Buruyanov
Ivan Didkovskiy
Danil Gushchin
Nikita Kiryanov
Marat Khusnutdinov
Ignat Kokhanin
Alexander Pashin
Vasiliy Ponomaryov
Ilya Rychkov
Yeremei Shumilin
Pavel Tyutnev
Dmitriy Zlodeyev
Dmitriy Zugan

Reactions: Garyboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Needs to be said.. just phenomenal coverage for the games. Commentator, replays, about 3 different angles. Really well done compared to the U17 challenge a few weeks ago where there were no commentators, replays and 1 camera angle.

Also, I've never heard of Klapka before today.. dude is 6'8, 225 lbs and has 2 points. How did he not get drafted in the 6th round as a 'boom or bust' type project. He looks good out there.

3-3.. Czechs were down 2-0 so pretty impressed they tied it up as, I assume, they won't have as a good a team as the Russians at this.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs pulled it of! Russian go blew a wheel in 3 on 3 overtime and Klapka sent Barinka in on a breakaway and Barinka buried it. Czechs were the better team in 3rd and looked on par with the Russian team for most of it. I was pretty impressed. Skorpik was solid in net and Rychlovsky looked very good as well.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Even game so far but State's up 1-0 on a beauty goal. States have some skaters that can absolutely fly!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Another awesome breakout pass for the States and they score with 30 seconds left in first. State's have been gaining dominance since my last comment.lol I'm not sure if the Czechs have the wheels to keep up with this US team... I would've been happy down 1-0... 2-0, not so much.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Klapka with a gorgeous feed... Someone has to draft this guy in round 6 and bring him over. Start him in the ECHL and work his way up... could be a really interesting prospect in a few years. Also, scored in first minute of second period.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Barinka again.. 3 goals in the 2nd period... crazy. Now 3-3... quite the game! Much more entertainng than the usal 6-0 wins the US post on us in Junior hockey.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I should probably mention that Czech goalie Dobes has had several 10 bell saves... second, I'd say Czechs were better. Outscored them 3-1 and lots of possession. It was the inverse of period 1. Shocked it's still close.. bring on the third!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs went ahead 4-3 (on a really nice stretch pass and semi breakaway).but States tied it up on a beauty shot (not sure what our Dman was doing after losing his stick.. I get he was mad but he just quit on the play). The commentator has been referring to the goalie as hastag wow.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Didn't take long... awful giveaway by Czechs and States win. I was hoping for an upset but the better team won. This might be enough to get the Czechs into the Quarters... Both Canada's next!

Reactions: SabresSharks

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Looks like Team East took it to the West, winning 5-1.

That's why games aren't played on paper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->