World Hockey Manager (iOS/Android) - thoughts?

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I don't really play mobile games, but I'm still interested in what people think about this game and how it compares to the alternatives, entertainment wise.

I didn't see any thread regarding this when searching, only two single mentions (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...nager-4-part-2.2117161/page-16#post-141089179, http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...l-hockey-manager-games-by-user-votes.2218913/), but no actual discussion.

World Hockey Manager - Android Apps on Google Play
World Hockey Manager on the App Store
Gold Town Games - World Hockey Manager

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
I actually just started this game last week. It's ok. Challenges are tough, I was up in the top 5 on a 4 hour challenge but didn't have enough energy/morale to continue to keep winning.

Reactions: bathdog

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Thanks for the input. Hopefully it refines over time as it's relatively new.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
It's enjoyable but I find that there are too many annoying bits built with the cash shop in mind.

I understand that's the way of mobile gaming, but it's really draining to have a week long injury pop up every two to three games.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It's enjoyable but there I find that there are too many annoying bits built with the cash shop in mind.

I understand that's the way of mobile gaming, but it's really draining to have a week long injury pop up every two to three games.

I noticed this happen with the last two updates. The injuries just seem to be nonstop.

When you open your sponsor pack (not sure about you), I barely get any injury cards.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
It's enjoyable but I find that there are too many annoying bits built with the cash shop in mind.

I noticed this happen with the last two updates. The injuries just seem to be nonstop.

When you open your sponsor pack (not sure about you), I barely get any injury cards.

The pay in-game model is a big negative too as far as I'm concerned too, but as you say, it seems to be the direction of mobile games.

okmilk98

Feb 26, 2018
I have been playing this game for a few weeks since it's became available in the US. Big fan. Just dont spend actual money on this game, you can get coins pretty easily just save up your fatigue cards and every couple of days win the 7 challenges. Easy way to build up your coins. The only thing that kinda sucks is it takes a while to upgrade your arena and buildings :/

Timber

Oct 29, 2015
Have played it in the past, but quited during a rough period in my life. Also, it had too many bugs at that time.

Installed it again and it looks like the game is slowly becoming better with continuous updates. One major bug is gone (you did not lose training cards) and there are several improvements, like the added news section.

Giving it another try.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I have been playing this game for a few weeks since it's became available in the US. Big fan. Just dont spend actual money on this game, you can get coins pretty easily just save up your fatigue cards and every couple of days win the 7 challenges. Easy way to build up your coins. The only thing that kinda sucks is it takes a while to upgrade your arena and buildings :/

Have played it in the past, but quited during a rough period in my life. Also, it had too many bugs at that time.

Installed it again and it looks like the game is slowly becoming better with continuous updates. One major bug is gone (you did not lose training cards) and there are several improvements, like the added news section.

Giving it another try.

I think they're rapidly looking to resolve bugs as, if I understand it correctly, they're looking to release a World Football Manager (soccer) built on top of WHM's engine. A guess is they'd want it out for this summers WC so that'd give them a lot of incentive to keep improving WHM right now.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I've only been playing about a week and a half or so, but I've been enjoying the game for the most part. Signing prospects can be frustrating. Previously I had only signed free agents and in that scenario, you just make the suggested offer and the guy signs. this time, I wasted 5 coins for a goalie prospect who wants more $ (How much more? No clue - the game doesn't give you any hints). Then I upped the offer and wasted another 5 coins as he said no again. He finally signed on the third try but it cost me 15 coins which I found annoying.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
It seems they've introduced inventory limits [200 total cards] in the latest patch with the ability to sell unwanted cards for space and cash.

That seems like a decent cap to allow for f2p stockpiling while also encouraging more cash shop purchases over the long run.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
This game made any progress over the last couple of months?

To be honest, no. It’s still very much Pay-to-play, even with the new ‘transfer system’ they implemented. The card cap @ 200 basically hindered me, (had to get rid of 300 cards once).

There’s no real explanation on how things work, even initially, not even bonuses. The challenges, either can be easy one day, annoying the next three days, lol.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
To be honest, no. It’s still very much Pay-to-play, even with the new ‘transfer system’ they implemented. The card cap @ 200 basically hindered me, (had to get rid of 300 cards once).

There’s no real explanation on how things work, even initially, not even bonuses. The challenges, either can be easy one day, annoying the next three days, lol.

I wish there was some form of outline for what tactics to use with regards to your players skillset, what is good against what with regards to opponents. What powerplay/pk tactics work with what types of players

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I wish there was some form of outline for what tactics to use with regards to your players skillset, what is good against what with regards to opponents. What powerplay/pk tactics work with what types of players

Yeah, it’s all a bunch of random probabilities. My team is decently rated, but finding what tactic to work is annoying when you don’t have a team report of the other team.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I even asked the guy what dictates that a tactic is good. I complained at how obnoxious the challenge matchups are (I routinely get matched against teams at least one league up from me), and he told me that with a 95% preparation and good tactics, you should be able to win 85% of your games. When I asked what makes a good tactic? "That's for the players to figure out".

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I even asked the guy what dictates that a tactic is good. I complained at how obnoxious the challenge matchups are (I routinely get matched against teams at least one league up from me), and he told me that with a 95% preparation and good tactics, you should be able to win 85% of your games. When I asked what makes a good tactic? "That's for the players to figure out".

I mean with general hockey knowledge I know what type of forecheck might be good against what but it’s all irrelevant because I have no idea what tactics the opponent is using or what attributes his players are strong in. Complete crapshoot

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I mean with general hockey knowledge I know what type of forecheck might be good against what but it’s all irrelevant because I have no idea what tactics the opponent is using or what attributes his players are strong in. Complete crapshoot
That, and we have no idea how he understands the tactics and has programmed the game to respond to them. I don't know why I keep playing the game - I guess I just get bored during my downtime at work, and good Android games are limited.

Reactions: crackdown44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad