World Hockey Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calorissi

Jan 16, 2004
Manotick
I would not buy one ticket if the league included players who were locked out of the NHL. There is no way that I would support the local team, or any team for that matter.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Where are they getting arena deals btw? Even AHL franchises have arena deals, I hardly think that any but the local skating rink or pod are locked into some kind of deal with a team. I thought that leagues like that usually play during hockey's offseason to get arenas.

And Calorrisi, nor would I support a team here in Pittsburgh made up of locked out players. I think that the players are sadly mistaken if they believe that will happen to any degree league wide. By buying a ticket I help screw up my NHL team when it comes back, if the owners can hold out for a better deal, I can wait for the NHL comes back to support them. I would also buy scab tickets to break the union. I want a Capped NHL with as close to an NFL model as possible and will vote for it with my dollars.

pacde

Dec 9, 2004
I would. I like the idea and they have some ideas that I think will make the game better. If it can ice a good gritty two way game, and its cheaper than the NHL and they come to my town, Ill be the first to buy season tickets. I think professional hockey needs competition and Id love to see some of the current NHL players playing under a salary cap.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Where are they getting arena deals btw? Even AHL franchises have arena deals, I hardly think that any but the local skating rink or pod are locked into some kind of deal with a team. I thought that leagues like that usually play during hockey's offseason to get arenas.

There is some arenas available in hockey markets like Québec, Winnipeg, Detroit, Dallas, Halifax and myabe some NBA arena that does'nt get a deal with an NHL team.

If the NHL players are going in this league there could be more interest than the NHL with replacement players, if there was interest in that kind of caliber CBC, TSN and ESPN would show some AHL and euro games.

Anyway I don't really beleive in an impasse I think both side could agree to let an arbitrer settle the deal.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
i think if theres a rival league where NHLPA players flock to it, isn't that grounds to get them decertified/call an impasse?.. if 60%+ of the players are working wouldn't the NLRB look at that and say, hey, the PA has no motivation to come back and make a fair deal?

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Game_Misconduct said:
If this gets off the ground, does it become a viable replacement for the NHL? Especially if NHL players sign on to play?

If the WHA put a team in your town, would you buy tickets?
The ability of the WHA to replace the NHL relies on the business acumen of those involved with the league. The fact that they were not ready to capitalize on the cancellation of the NHL season does not speak well for that acumen.

What hockey needs is a league run by good businessmen. But apparently good businessmen avoid hockey like the plague.

Game_Misconduct

Oct 13, 2004
It sounds like there are some new guys spearheading the WHA. Maybe they have a better grasp of the business than the previous group.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
I suggest you look up the dozen or so threads on this issue brought up over the last6 months...

Discussions include
- Will be a CAP league?
- Need huge cash to start-up?
- Need arenas and deals?
- Can NHL owners buy franchises?
- Will it be better than ECHL or AHL?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
$$$

Do they have the money to get off the ground? Startup costs of a new league are endless.

And the arena deal question is just as large.

When the WHA was formed, there were only ~14 NHL teams so there were markets open.

I think they should start real small scale (i.e. ~ 6 teams) solidify those and build from there. Three of their best markets from the old league are available so it could get off the ground if everything fell into place but you would think that it would take a few years for that to happen.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Chili said:
I think they should start real small scale (i.e. ~ 6 teams) solidify those and build from there. Three of their best markets from the old league are available so it could get off the ground if everything fell into place but you would think that it would take a few years for that to happen.
Exactly. This will avoid the pitfall that most new sports leagues fall into of trying to have too many teams at once.

But if the WHA were serious they would be appealing to disaffected NHL season ticket holders right now. They're not. They just either can't or won't do what is needed to get the league off the ground.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I would take the WHA seriously if they built 16 new arenas in the cities they plan on playing in .

good luck with that

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The IF in 'If an alternative league gets off the ground', is a mighty big IF. I do not see it becoming an alternative to the NHL in the next 5 to 10 years...and the current 'stars' that might sign with the alternative league will no longer be playing by then. I do not see them being competitive for new talent, either...the money is just not there.

Buying tickets would not be an option for me. Stan Kroenke owns both the Avs and the Pepsi Center. There is not another arena of anywhere near that size in the state, so an alternative league would not have a place to play in Colorado.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
wazee said:
The IF in 'If an alternative league gets off the ground', is a mighty big IF. I do not see it becoming an alternative to the NHL in the next 5 to 10 years...and the current 'stars' that might sign with the alternative league will no longer be playing by then. I do not see them being competitive for new talent, either...the money is just not there.

Buying tickets would not be an option for me. Stan Kroenke owns both the Avs and the Pepsi Center. There is not another arena of anywhere near that size in the state, so an alternative league would not have a place to play in Colorado.
there are other cities though - we have two in vancouver - so does toronto - new york - it could work - as i said before - deep pockets - continued nhl boondoggle - a few nhl headliners - a crosby or two - some radical rool changes - ???

likea

Jul 9, 2004
imagine if another league starts up with the support of the NHLPA and some of their players join that league of 6 teams.

what would you say if you were the half of the NHLPA locked out and not playing or making money while your brothers play in another league in NA with just 6 teams.

I would be kinda pissed...it will never work.

Doctor Zoidberg

Feb 16, 2005
Game_Misconduct said:
If this gets off the ground, does it become a viable replacement for the NHL? Especially if NHL players sign on to play?

If the WHA put a team in your town, would you buy tickets?

The WHA has a hard salary cap of less than 20 million. Hope the players like sucking on that!

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Nobody is going to start a new Pro league without a Salary Cap tied to revenues, which is what the owners offered from the start.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mr gib said:
there are other cities though - we have two in vancouver - so does toronto - new york - it could work - as i said before - deep pockets - continued nhl boondoggle - a few nhl headliners - a crosby or two - some radical rool changes - ???
Vancouver, Toronto, New York. That is 3. It will take more than that. And where are those 'deep pocket' owners going to come from? Why would anyone, individual, corporation, or bank, want to put money into this? And why would the NHL players want to play in a league that would most certainly have linkage and a salary cap for far less than they could get in the NHL? Why would a Crosby give up the chance to play for the Stanley Cup to do that?

The radical rule changes could be a good thing. Bettman said they had plans to use the shortened season to test some changes as well.

I understand that some people would like an alternative league. Especially those who tend to blame the owners for the fact there is no hockey this year. I just do not see it as a viable alternative. It takes a lot more money to get a league off the ground now than it did when the old WHA started up in 1972.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The NHL is hardly off the ground, what makes anyone think the WHA will? :lol

Optimist*

go kim johnsson said:

Exactly. If your going to throw money out the window at least do it on a sport that people are watching. Besides, do u think the players will play for less money or will they bolt to the NHL that will pay more. Over time the other league would shrivel and die.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
wazee said:
Vancouver, Toronto, New York. That is 3. It will take more than that. And where are those 'deep pocket' owners going to come from? Why would anyone, individual, corporation, or bank, want to put money into this? And why would the NHL players want to play in a league that would most certainly have linkage and a salary cap for far less than they could get in the NHL? Why would a Crosby give up the chance to play for the Stanley Cup to do that?

The radical rule changes could be a good thing. Bettman said they had plans to use the shortened season to test some changes as well.

I understand that some people would like an alternative league. Especially those who tend to blame the owners for the fact there is no hockey this year. I just do not see it as a viable alternative. It takes a lot more money to get a league off the ground now than it did when the old WHA started up in 1972.
i realize its all hypothetical but say if rupert murdoch or those owners involved in the mls got involved - coupled with being pissed off at the nhl - ( check the way the mls opperates ) - have a franchise player or two rool - the nhl continues to bungle long enough for these guys to be the only game in town - paul allen in portland gets going - murdoch has the global cable company - lures some names - pays them - its a stretch but... as for the cities - london paris winnipeg etc

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
All I know is that Toronto wouldnt have a great home for whatever WHA team it decides to put here. ACC belongs to the Leafs and Ricoh to the Baby Leafs......

go kim johnsson said:

Very true. :joker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->