World Cup SF: Sep 11 GDT - Czech Republic vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Dr Love said:
Great players don't suck at the highest level, they excel at it, it is what makes them great. Dopita sucked, don't call him a great player, or even a good one. He had little heart and whatever talent he does have--and I'm sure he is quite talented, a lot of teams have had his rights, and he's been a big time player in Europe--he showed only sparingly.

There is a saying, "Don´t try to teach a old dog to sit...".

Dopita was what 32(?) when he played his first game in the NHL, a game completly diffrent game from what he had played for two decades...

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Ola said:

Dopita was what 32(?) when he played his first game in the NHL, a game completly diffrent game from what he had played for two decades...
dont try and teach an old dog new tricks is what you mean lol ;)

Badman

Jul 10, 2004
Stavanger, Norway
Dr Love said:
:shakehead Thanks for your wisdom. The guy has 33 career points. 33. Is that the mark of a great player? And don't give me "he wasn't used properly," when he was with the Flyers he was given plenty of opportunity. He was used on the PP, the Flyers had injuries on the wing and at center all year long and he couldn't capitalize on his chances, save for a game against Atlanta where he scored 4 of his 11 goals that season. He had his chance, and he failed. He was moved to Edmonton, where he had his chance as the second line center, mustered 6 points in 21 games, and IIRC then asked for a release because his heart wasn't in it (or if I do not recall correctly, was simply outright released). And if he is a 'great player' as you so claim, he would not have struggled with the change over from Europe to NA, because that's another mark of greatness. So please, don't call him great, because he has shown nothing to indicate that he is a great player.
----------------------

So by your logic, Vladimir Krutov wasn't a great player because he didn't produce when he played for Vancouver at the end of his career?

Badman

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Dr Love said:
Great players don't suck at the highest level, they excel at it, it is what makes them great.

Give credit where credit is due, Dopita is a really good player.
He, in fact, has excelled at the highest level (Nagano, Salt Lake, this tourney), a level much higher than the NHL.

The NHL isn't for everybody, as some player's skills just don't translate well to the NHL style game.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Ola said:

He was 33. Completely different? Not at all. It's certainly different, but too say it's completely different is almost as bad as saying... that he's a great player. Yes, had he come to the NHL 5, 6, 7 years earlier he probably would have faired better. But he isn't a great player today, as FOTS claims.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I can't believe you guys are arguing about Dopita when there's so many other things to talk about :joker:

Like how well Bouwmeester is doing

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Zine said:
Give credit where credit is due, Dopita is a really good player.
He, in fact, has excelled at the highest level (Nagano, Salt Lake, this tourney), a level much higher than the NHL.

The NHL isn't for everybody, as some player's skills just don't translate well to the NHL style game.

No, he was a really good player. Hell, I'll concede that he is a pretty good player today. But that's not my point. My point is that he isn't a great player.

I'm just tired of hearing "great" player thrown around so much. Fans do it, but the athletes are the worst. A journeyman middle reliever/3rd line winger/fresh warm NBA body is added to a team, and "he's a great player and he'll really help us out a lot." It's a pet peeve I have, I know it's probably a petty one, but it's one of those little things that annoys me in the sports world.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Good lord.. are the Czechs on a PP or something? Canada is skating around like they are chickens with their heads cut off..

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Dr Love said:
No, he was a really good player. Hell, I'll concede that he is a pretty good player today. But that's not my point. My point is that he isn't a great player.

Dr Love said:
Great players don't suck at the highest level, they excel at it, it is what makes them great. Dopita sucked, don't call him a great player, or even a good one. He had little heart and whatever talent he does have--and I'm sure he is quite talented, a lot of teams have had his rights, and he's been a big time player in Europe--he showed only sparingly.

:dunno: :shakehead

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Wow...Vyborny blows a great opportunity to tie it right back up...shoots it into Luongo again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad