World Cup: Sep 5 GDT - Slovakia vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
My overall impression:

Most impresive player on the ice: Frolov. Wow, I honestly had no clue the kid could bring it like that. He's going to be a great, great player.

Ovechkin: Beauty goal, a few dazzling moves. Countered that with a few mistakes and I hope his brother was right during the CBC interview when he said 'He can play better than this game.' I didn't particularly like when he didn't get the feed on the 3 on 1 late in the third and he slapped his stick on the ice a few times to let his teamate (Afinogenov) know he was open. All in all though he played a pretty good game all things considered. The goal was very nice.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
(lone)Yashinfan#79 said:
anybody recall russia's lines/combos?

Don't recall the D-pairings.

Lines:

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Afinogenov
Kovalev - Kozlov - Samsonov
Frolov - Yashin - Zubrus
Ovechkin - Chubarov - Afansasenkov

(lone)Yashinfan#79

wow, sounds like i missed a killer euro game...ovechkin's debut... espn sucks, they were hyping up UNLV v. Tennessee sunday college football, what a joke.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
littleHossa said:
lol, the french CBC, Radio Canada. They made a joke about how Ovechkin after 1 week in North America was already speaking better english than A. Markov ever did in 6 years.

Same idiot, Michel Bergeron, said ( on 110%) that if Markov wasen't able to say cheeseburger he should go back to Siberia and eat «goulash»... Which is actually a Hungarian meal. Figure it out your selves... And these guys talk about Don Cherry.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
bizoncol said:
Markov will be scratched against USA. He has made too many mistakes in 2 games, I've seen enough. And I would prefer to see Vishnevsky or Volchenkov instead of Tverdovsky.
I agree Markov has been very sketchy, they cannot afford the careless turnovers against the top teams. I like the way the Russians are playing with the classic regroup-puck control game. Slovakia had no style to speak of, a team thats parts are greater than the whole. There is nothing happening for them, no puck control, no dump chase, little cycling, no transition game. Its unbelievably disjointed. Lintner was the worst D man on the ice tonite, Cierny not far behind. Very little effort by most such as Demitra's lack of a backcheck on Ovechkin's goal.

lux_interior

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
wilka91 said:
I really like the comments on the pictures @ Yahoo.com :

"Russia's Darius Kasparaitis (11) and goalie Oleg Tverdovsky watch as Slovakia's Marian Hossa scores during first period action at the World Cup of Hockey in Toronto, Sunday Sept. 5, 2004."
Come on...everyone knows that Tverdovsky is a forward who poses as a defenseman.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Slick Nick said:
Same idiot, Michel Bergeron, said ( on 110%) that if Markov wasen't able to say cheeseburger he should go back to Siberia and eat «goulash»... Which is actually a Hungarian meal. Figure it out your selves... And these guys talk about Don Cherry.
Haha. At least he wasn't generalizing all Russian players. He was pinpointing Markov.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Just got back from the game!! I was proudly waiving my big Russia flag all night long, and it was a great game!

Kovalev possibly got the 2nd best goal of the tournament tonight?

And extremely happy to see Ovechkin get his goal.. he was so pumped when he scored it!

Anyways, not gonna talk about the game too much, i'll just say RUSSIA ROCKS! It's been so long since I was able to be proud of my country.. I always cheer for them but they always let me down.. I can't wait till tuesday although it's going to be one hell of a tough match for the boys.. we are just too tired right now.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I can't wait till tuesday although it's going to be one hell of a tough match for the boys.. we are just too tired right now.[/QUOTE]

and thats where the advantage of having a YOUNG russian team comes in! they are so young that they will be just fine by Tuesday. if we had guys like Zhamnov and Fedorov, they would still be tired on Tuesday...and cranky. so i love this Young look...they also have much more DESIRE than the old farts. GO RUSSIA!
and i hope they start Bryzgalov again...on tuesday

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
bizoncol said:
Markov will be scratched against USA. He has made too many mistakes in 2 games, I've seen enough. And I would prefer to see Vishnevsky or Volchenkov instead of Tverdovsky.

it was an IDIOTIC idea to take out VISHNEVSKY AND VOLCHENKOV and to insert A.Markov and Kalinin. Thats like taking out Foote and P.Boucher and inserting freaking Ulanov and Karpa!
A.Markov has ZERO clue about defense...and Kalinin has 0.3 of a clue!

lux_interior

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
bizoncol said:

Since I'm rooting for the USA, and having watched Visnevsky and Tverdovsky play a lot for the Ducks, I'd rather Russia play Turnoverdovsky over Vishnevsky. :D

swisshockeyacademy said:
it was an IDIOTIC idea to take out VISHNEVSKY AND VOLCHENKOV and to insert A.Markov and Kalinin. Thats like taking out Foote and P.Boucher and inserting freaking Ulanov and Karpa!

Having said that, Vishnevsky isn't really close to the level of Foote. He's somewhat close to Phillipe, but not there.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
When Russians are in the mood, they are the most entertaining hockeyplayers in the world to watch. Even a game where they don't play all that well produce at least four wonderful goals.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
2forsbergaura1 A.Markov has ZERO clue about defense[/QUOTE said:
thats a good one :shakehead the guy is a career plus, and he's never played on a good defensive team, or even a team average defensivly. The guy is a rock.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Fighter said:
So where are now all the Crosby fans? Any bad comment on Ovechkin? :shakehead
Let me straigten this up for once and for all.The Crosby vs. Ovechkin thing
started with the Ovechkin fans hi-jacking the Crosby thread.As for "all the
Crosby fans", most of us are just fans of good hockey.I enjoyed watching
Ovechkin play last night.He's very good now and he's going to be even
better.I like his competiveness especially on that play early on when after his
first play he hung on to make a good pass in front of the net.I hope we get
to see him again in this tournament,but I also wouldn't be surprised if he sits
out against the USA.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
2forsbergaura1 said:
A.Markov has ZERO clue about defense...and Kalinin has 0.3 of a clue!
Kalinin is Russia's best Defensemen... what the hell are you smoking.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Fighter said:
So where are now all the Crosby fans? Any bad comment on Ovechkin? :shakehead

Can't speak for all Crosby fans but I enjoyed watching him play. The CBC did a nice job of covering him and even named him third star of the game. He did not look out of place at all on a team of very talented forwards. He seemed very quick for a 6'2" 212 pound guy, and put a lot into his 9 minutes of icetime. Hard to see how he played positionally watching on TV.

CBC interviewed Washington,s GM after the game where Mcphee indicated AO had some trouble adjusting to the pace of the game (due to the high level of play). I thought he did fine, but I did not see it live.

Hard to say if he will play in the QFs. They sit him for two games and then put him out on the first 4 on 4 of the game. Hard to predict what the Russian coacing staff will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->