World Cup: Sep 4 GDT - Russia vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

semenko27

Aug 24, 2003
Ontario
I'm sure you all know, but Jovo is done with a sprained MCL and a cracked rib. Good opportunity for Bouwmeester I figure...

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
dammit, why are they starting Sokolov?? I knew they said they'd split the 2 goalies between US and Canada games, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" we should go with whatever worked in the 1st game!

and yet, there've already been 2 significant roster changes for no reason. Ovechkin and Sokolov in, Bryzgalov and whoever else are out.

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
I can't wait for 7PM...I want to see a high scoring game, end to end rushes, so 6-5 Canada. I hope it's a close game - nothing like Canada/Russia hockey.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
the last 2 days I've completely lost sleep! not only is this a pretty big game, but I also got tickets for it! the excitment level is through the roof in my head

Feb 24, 2004
I'm going also, mogilny. I'm really pumped up for it. In Leafs playoff games, they always give out either hankies, or flags, or towels, or something. Maybe Red Hankies tonight?

I was going to dress in all red, but people might think I was supporting the soviets or something, so I don't really know what to do. :dunno:

velimiiro

leafs4thecup said:
I was going to dress in all red, but people might think I was supporting the soviets or something, so I don't really know what to do. :dunno:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
I'd like to think we're classy enough not to pour beer on other teams or their fans. Besides I think most Canadian hockey fans would rather see a close game than a rout.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I can't believe it's the second ever Canada-Russia meeting (best-on-best)! What were those Olympic games for if Russia hasn't faced either Canada and Sweden!

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Russia did face Sweden... not too many Swedes played in the NHL at that time..

Russia also faced Czechoslovakia.. now imagine the current Czech team, and combine that with Slovakia and you get what they faced back then.

and why do you say this is only the 2nd best to best meeting between Canada and Russia?

72, 79, 81, 87 and probably a bunch of years I'm forgetting

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
MOGiLNY said:
Russia did face Sweden... not too many Swedes played in the NHL at that time..

Russia also faced Czechoslovakia.. now imagine the current Czech team, and combine that with Slovakia and you get what they faced back then.

and why do you say this is only the 2nd best to best meeting between Canada and Russia?

72, 79, 81, 87 and probably a bunch of years I'm forgetting

When I say Russia I mean Russian Federation and not some USSR thing.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
maybe Sokolov's better ?

Bryzgalov looked solid, I know, why sub ?

MOGiLNY said:
dammit, why are they starting Sokolov?? I knew they said they'd split the 2 goalies between US and Canada games, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" we should go with whatever worked in the 1st game!

and yet, there've already been 2 significant roster changes for no reason. Ovechkin and Sokolov in, Bryzgalov and whoever else are out.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
and what exactly was USSR team ?
a few odd "former republic" guys.
the soviet legacy to me is pure russian, and that is evident in Kasparaitis playing for team Russia.

wilka91 said:
When I say Russia I mean Russian Federation and not some USSR thing.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
thorspartak said:
and what exactly was USSR team ?
a few odd "former republic" guys.
the soviet legacy to me is pure russian, and that is evident in Kasparaitis playing for team Russia.

You don't get it, don't ya?

USSR had CCCP on their jerseys

Russia has Россия

To me it's not the same, even if Russia and the USSR are the same country.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
не спорю что Россия это не СССР,
НО, кто играл за СССР? если не русские, то россияне.

It's not the same country per se, but hockey-wise it is since most of the players on the USSR-CCCP team were Russian or from Russia.

wilka91 said:
You don't get it, don't ya?

USSR had CCCP on their jerseys

Russia has Россия

To me it's not the same, even if Russia and the USSR are the same country.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Canada 4 Russia 2

Russia will start quickly getting the first goal, then team Canada will get it started in the second period with a few quick ones.

Canada -- Heatley, Lemeiux, Lecavalier, Brewer
Russia -- Afinogenov, Kovalev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad