World Cup: Sep 2 GDT - Finland vs. Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Nice to see Lehtinen and Timonen in good form.

But only 3-0 against Germany???
I am disappointed, but considering Germany's effort... I am glad we got the W at least.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
MrMastodonFarm said:
Kiprusoff has one of the fastest gloves in the NHL, so damn quick. He is really erasing any doubt I had in my head about doing what he did again.
Toskala has the very fastest and Kari's isn't very slow either ;) do we have the best glove hand trio in the world? ;)

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
Just coming home from Cologne. :)

Moskau said:
Hecht, Seidenberg, M. Goc and Lewandowski stood out the most for me.

I agree on Seidenberg and Goc. Add Kreuzer there.
I heavily disagree on Hecht and Lewandowski. Hecht seemed to be ALWAYS a step to late and missed on that one big scoring opportunity when he could have tied the game. Lewandowski did nothing but get stupid penaltys.
The 2 penaltys that led to the 3 on 5 were a joke. Anyways, they decided the game, after the 2:0 there was not much efford from Germany anymore. Their stickhandling was very poor today. :eek:

Eloranta would have looked nice in a german jersey - his stickhandling was also very poor. Didn't see much from Mikko Koivu - and he lost to face-offs to Stefan Ustorf. :help:
His brother was great, though. And so was Lehtinen - nice goal and good bodywork on the 2:0.
I don't think Kipper was great today. Germany was simply not dangerous enough.

Someone mentioned the bad PP: It was indeed bad. It has always been. We need to score SH :D
Honestly, we are missing a right-handed PP-QB. We only had left handers in the game - that simply doesn't work...

Congrats to Team Finland! :)

EDIT: crap, whats that? Should have been on page 7 at the bottom...

Last edited:

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I predict the entire 4th-line will find themselves in the pressbox against Sweden along with Aki Berg (who should never have been in the lineup anyway) Eloranta and J. Ruutu were brutal, and M. Koivu didn't show much either.Peltonen also sucked against a more psysical opponent, but he'll be on the second-line anyway.Niinimaa has been much better than I expected after last springs Worlds.. My guess is that the line-up against Sweden will be:

Lehtinen-S. Koivu-Selänne

Peltonen-Jokinen-T. Ruutu

Hagman-N. Kapanen-Hentunen

Nieminen-Hahl-Laaksonen

Timonen-Numminen

Salo-Niinimaa

Väänänen-Lydman

Kipper
The phenom (Lehtonen)

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Kipper's been rock solid. He made some great plays at 5-3 pp.
Was it Goc who had an empty net? Kipper made a glove save on him. :handclap:

Germany played great 2nd period. They had 3-4 scoring changes but Kipper was better. Finland got their game rolling at the end of the period. We will see interesting 3nd period. I predict 3-1 Finland.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Shack said:
Was it Goc who had an empty net? Kipper made a glove save on him. :handclap:
Kiprusoff has one of the fastest gloves in the NHL, so damn quick. He is really erasing any doubt I had in my head about doing what he did again.

Eds

Aug 22, 2004
Helsinki
I didn't see all of the game, but it didn't look very great. Maybe the ice was bad, I don't know, but it seemed like Finland only wanted to take the 2 points and wasn't very interested in skating. Good game from Kipper, though. I remember one glove save in particular that really left me gaping.

Well, the big game is on Saturday. Too bad I might not be able to see it. :cry:

SChan*

meh I miss the finland-sweden match on saturday :shakehead

hopefully we can win so we get germany.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Kipper has now made 12 + 22 saves in two games, not bad at all! :)

How was the game?

Grandma Shark

Jan 10, 2004
SAN JOSE<South Bay> IN CA
Good old Comcast Cable :shakehead I finally got to see the LAST minute............so Kipper gets yet ANOTHER shutout!!!
Thanks, again, for those of you who let me "see'/hear parts of the game!!! It was a pleasure to meet you! :D

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Well, at least I don't have to be sad that I don't getto see this tournament.
Was there any German player that you actually liked?

congrats to Finland!

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Frozen said:
Jere Lehtinen scored, 3-0 Finland. Few mins to go..

3-0 by Lehtinen was a beauty. From backhand to the top right corner.

They said in Swedish magazines that Sundin has a magic stick(he scored with backhand also), but you should see Jere's goal... HE has a magic stick.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Kipper was great.

what astounds me about him now, is that everything goes right. Like when one of the Germans shot it straight into his glove from point-blank range. For a goalie off his game, those go over the glove, under the glove or around the glove and in. Or hit the glove and go in. For Kipper it went straight into the glove.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Great game.

You can't help but appreciate Germany's effort. Besides Kipper, I would probably say Germany had 2 or 3 of the games best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad