World Cup: Sep 1 GDT - Czech Republic vs. Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
My advise to sweden is to follow Finland's example and take out your worst disciplined defenseman (even though in both Finland's and Sweden's case it's an important part in the defensive play).

Don't take many penalties and they should have this one in the bin. Tjärnqvist would be a good choice to have out there, he reads Frankie Kaberle like an open book...

If Czech gets one good powerplay, the game should be theirs. Play disciplined and it's sweden's game to lose.

And this is IMO a too important game to be Lundqvist's debut on small ice surface.

Poikilitic

Apr 1, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
well that was a close one. But we pulled through. I knew it. I knew they would fight, right when they interviewed that czech player right after 2nd period. He said: Well theres still 20 minutes left and were gonna try our best. I knew they would come back. Thank god for Telly....well kind of.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Wasn't really Tellqvist's fault. Just be glad Salo wasn't in net. ;)

But man, someone must've slapped all the Czechs upside the head during the 2nd intermission, because they just started flying in the 3rd.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
ehc73 said:
Wasn't really Tellqvist's fault. Just be glad Salo wasn't in net. ;)

But man, someone must've slapped all the Czechs upside the head during the 2nd intermission, because they just started flying in the 3rd.

True.

It should had ended 4-4. Czech were playing like another team at the 3rd period.
But Tellqvist was rock solid at the end.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
mattihp said:
My advise to sweden is to follow Finland's example and take out your worst disciplined defenseman (even though in both Finland's and Sweden's case it's an important part in the defensive play).
Who is Sweden's worst disciplined defenseman?

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Is it just me or is anyone else noticing this pattern....teams are not ready to play 60 minutes yet.

Finland had to drop their tempo in second period but returned in 3rd, sweden dropped their tempo against czechs in the 3rd and almost handed them the game. Canada was overwhelming against USA in the first period, and looked very tired in the second.

Everyone knows the tournament is too early in the year but it does create interesting changes inside games. You can't say "thats it" when a game is 4-0 after 2 periods in this tournament...next period can change everything.

Poikilitic

Apr 1, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
i agree with Burke at the end of the game (for those who watched it on CBC). He said that it caused panic when the Czechs scored the first goal to make it 4-1. He called timeout and told them to play aggressive. I guess they all just panicked, and iced the puck everytime. And due to the tension of the players, Sundin lost 4 face offs in a row, which is very rare. And they took stupid holding penalties, which put more pressure on telly.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I wish this team had:

A: A real starting goalie
B: Another Norström
C: Two more Marcus Nilsons.

If this team beats Finland then I'll eat my hat and I'll even take a bite out of my shoe for good measure.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Riddarn said:
I wish this team had:

A: A real starting goalie
B: Another Norström
C: Two more Marcus Nilsons.

If this team beats Finland then I'll eat my hat and I'll even take a bite out of my shoe for good measure.

D: Six mor Jörgen Jönssons :D

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
I just don`t understand the D pairings:
Lidström Johnson
Ragnarsson Norström
Öhlund Tjärnqvist

It should be:
Lidström Norström
Johnson Ragnarsson
Öhlund Bäckman

Playing Johnson and Lidström togheter doesn`t work, i dont`t know any other team that uses there two most offensively minded D-men together.
For the next game scratch PJ and A Johansson and give the twins a chance.
Put M Nilson or T Holmström on Forsbergs line and put Zetterberg back with the twins. Or even better put Modin with the twins and Zetterberg on Sundins line.
This is want i want:

Zetterberg Sundin Alfredsson
Näslund Forsberg Holmström
D Sedin H Sedin Modin
Nilson Jönsson Påhlson

Lidström Norström
Johnson Ragnarsson
Öhlund Bäckman

Although Tellqvist played good the last couple of minutes he`s got to play a better game in the future, fever rebounds for example. As it looks now we ain`t going nowhere in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I wasn't too pleased with Tellquist's appearance, the second goal was terrible, and there were a ton of rebounds, I think he only managed to actually hold the puck a handful times throughout the game, and the Czechs took advantage of that and scored a goal after a rebound. If he at least put the rebounds down in the corner, that'd been better. But also, the defensemen need to be more alert in front of him and clear the rebounds. And guys like Kim Johnsson needs to be more physical and take their man out, he looked too soft in this game.

Here are the lines I'd like to see:

Modin Sundin Alfredsson
Näslund Forsberg Jönsson
D Sedin H Sedin Zetterberg
Nilson Påhlsson Holmström

Lidström Norström
Johnson Ragnarsson
Öhlund Bäckman

Starting goalie: ?
I'm actually even willing to try Lundqvist, at least he holds on to the pucks and don't leave a ton of rebounds.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Bonde 007 said:
I just don`t understand the D pairings:
Lidström Johnson
Ragnarsson Norström
Öhlund Tjärnqvist

It should be:
Lidström Norström
Johnson Ragnarsson
Öhlund Bäckman

Playing Johnson and Lidström togheter doesn`t work, i dont`t know any oter team that uses there two most offensively minded D-men together.

I like Hardy´s D-pairings but I have to admit that Kim-Lidas was terrible last nigth. BUT Lidas has always played with a offensive defensemen in the NHL. The last couple of years he has played allot with Mathieu Dandenault or Mathieu Schneider and before that with the likes of Larry Murphy and Steve Duchesne(sp?). If Kim Johnsson would have played the same way with Rags as he did with Lidas last nigth they would have run into problems too...

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
I think that most of us agree that Hardy's d-pairings suck. Everyone but him seems to understand that. It's a simple but successful formula; one offensive minded and one defensive minded d-man in each pairing...

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
The Swedish campaign has so far consisted of

sloppy goaltending
lousy defending
weird coaching
underperforming superstars

In short, I've got a really bad feeling about this team.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Leo Naphta said:
The Swedish campaign has so far consisted of

sloppy goaltending
lousy defending
weird coaching
underperforming superstars

In short, I've got a really bad feeling about this team.

how about...

- Excellent leadership (Mats Sundin)
- Certain players stepping up (Fredrik Modin, Henrik Zetterberg)
- Effective power play (5 power play goals in 2 games)
- Excellent boxplay (no goals allowed)
- Strong physical play (Marcus Nilson, Samuel Påhlsson, Mattias Norström, Mattias Öhlund etc)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Seiza said:
I think that most of us agree that Hardy's d-pairings suck. Everyone but him seems to understand that. It's a simple but successful formula; one offensive minded and one defensive minded d-man in each pairing...

Well Niklas Lidström isn´t your averge offensive defensemen. He is among one of the best defensivly too. Second, Hardy are trying to get this team ready to beat Canada, and that is what it is going to take to win the WC. If his goal was to dominate against the Chechz/Finland/Germany he would have dressed Tärnström... If you have seen Canada play you know that we only have four guys who can match them in our end, Ragnarsson/Norström/Öhlund/Tjärnqvist. Lidström and Kim Johnsson has the potential to keep the puck within the team, especially with one of our first two lines infront of them. They didn´t play that way against the Chechz, especially Kim Johnsson who was terrible defensivly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad