World Cup: Sep 1 GDT - Canada vs. Slovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
smoothskater said:
How could people possibly think that Slovakia would win??
You know, this IS hockey. There's never any guarantuee that the better team on paper will win.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Very solid victory for Canada. The score doesn't indicate how many quality scoring chances the Slovaks had though, which is why Marty is there. He was tremendous in goal.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Sotnos said:
Look at the rosters. If you want to bring up nationalities, I'm married to a European, and neither of us are all that impressed with Finland.

I think the Czechs themselves thought all they'd have to do was show up, judging from how they played.

ANYWAY, the point is you can't assume results, and it seems some people expect certain teams to simply steamroll everyone. :shakehead
It´s not just the rosters, what they have done in the past is put behind us.

Reichel is devistated over Hlinkas death, Jagr wasn´t interested to play at all so he is nowhere fit to play at this stage of the year. Poor Straka looked a lot better before his injuries and Dopita is getting older. Hamrlik and Kaberle wasn´t even dressed for this game in favour of Malik and Spacek!

If you add that with the fact that Finland is extremly strong at home ice, the win by Finland wasn´t that surprising. They may not have the superstars but they work well together as a team.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Sotnos said:
Look at the rosters. If you want to bring up nationalities, I'm married to a European, and neither of us are all that impressed with Finland.

I think the Czechs themselves thought all they'd have to do was show up, judging from how they played.

ANYWAY, the point is you can't assume results, and it seems some people expect certain teams to simply steamroll everyone. :shakehead

Well it has to be a problem in your family then obviously. I checked for odds before the game on some betting sites, and decided not to put money on either one since the odds were almost even for either team to win. If the Czechs thought they'd only have to show up, that would make them amazingly ignorant way beyond a normal hockey fan.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Best Players for each team IMO...

Canada:
1. St. Louis
2. Brodeur
3. Smyth

Slovakia:
Satan, Gaborik, Bartecko, Visnovsky and Radivojevic are the only players who showed up, and of those only Satan Gaborik and Bartecko did anything offensively. Hossa was great at getting in but uneffective after that.

Duds for the game:
1. Eric Brewer (brutaaaaaal)
2. Zdeno Chara (he at least showed emotion)

dem

Mar 17, 2002
OK... WTF. :mad:
Brewer was NOT BAD LAST GAME. Infact he was pretty damn good. Seriously.. get you head out of your ass. This Brewer bashing has become RIDICULOUS. The goal scored wasnt Brewers fault. His shot hit a leg and went to a Slovakian player... he didnt just shoot it up the middle for him.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
dem said:
Brewer was NOT BAD LAST GAME. Infact he was pretty damn good. Seriously.. get you head out of your ass. This Brewer bashing has become RIDICULOUS. The goal scored wasnt Brewers fault. His shot hit a leg and went to a Slovakian player... he didnt just shoot it up the middle for him.

I've given up on some of the posters here... as long as the media doesn't buy into the hatred, I'm content. Brewer has received correct reviews from the media (steady, good outlet passes etc). He's been a solid part (no greater than the rest of the d-men, and Brodeur) of the reason the Geurin, Hossa, Gaborik, Leclaire etc. etc. have been held to two goals in two games.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Slowaks should of had a lot tougher defense, since the forwards had big problems keepin puck or making anykind of play at all.
Canada is really tough.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
dem said:
So I'm guessing "Brewer, loses the puck", "Brewer is pickpocketed", "Brewer comes in and shoots! Ohhh he had St Louis streaking in all alone on the right side, I don't know if he didn't see him or what", "Brewer shoots it right in Stana"... those are all good things?

Me and my friend watched and couldn't believe some of the plays he was making. You'd think for 2.65 Million he would see St Louis and Lecavalier wide open, and not get pushed off the puck by Cibak.

High flyin' Habs*

H/H said:
You know, this IS hockey. There's never any guarantuee that the better team on paper will win.
Well in this case the better team on paper won.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Moskau said:
So I'm guessing "Brewer, loses the puck", "Brewer is pickpocketed", "Brewer comes in and shoots! Ohhh he had St Louis streaking in all alone on the right side, I don't know if he didn't see him or what", "Brewer shoots it right in Stana"... those are all good things?

Me and my friend watched and couldn't believe some of the plays he was making. You'd think for 2.65 Million he would see St Louis and Lecavalier wide open, and not get pushed off the puck by Cibak.

OK - and Foote made several bad offensive choices... do I care? not really. Foote was awesome out there, and IMO Brewer was solid in a game playing against some of the most offensively gifted talents in the world.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Wow!

All the hype going into the game was about how Slovakia had so much offence but no one mentioned their poor defence. After Chara there's nobody and he had a rough one last night.

Glad to see Canada has clinched home ice. So far everything is rolling along nicely.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Jacques Plante said:
Wow!

All the hype going into the game was about how Slovakia had so much offence but no one mentioned their poor defence. After Chara there's nobody and he had a rough one last night.

Glad to see Canada has clinched home ice. So far everything is rolling along nicely.

Their offense was kept in check by the strong play of Niedermayer, Foote, Redden, Regehr, Brewer, and Hannan. :)

But I agree... things seem to be going well, which worries me a little since we're getting away from recent Canada style of sucking through the round robin.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
oil slick said:
Their offense was kept in check by the strong play of Niedermayer, Foote, Redden, Regehr, Brewer, and Hannan. :)

But I agree... things seem to be going well, which worries me a little since we're getting away from recent Canada style of sucking through the round robin.

Exactly! All this Brewer bashing is nonsense. I don't know if anyone else noticed it (kinda hard to tell those gold sweaters apart) but Brewer just crushed some poor guy in the USA game but I cant remember who.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
oil slick said:
Their offense was kept in check by the strong play of Niedermayer, Foote, Redden, Regehr, Brewer and Hannan.
I think they with 5 men most of the time, Slowaks didnt have much room.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Jacques Plante said:
Exactly! All this Brewer bashing is nonsense. I don't know if anyone else noticed it (kinda hard to tell those gold sweaters apart) but Brewer just crushed some poor guy in the USA game but I cant remember who.
He hit Gomez. And he did not crush him... it made a huge sound but the sound was Brewer hitting the boards. Watch the replay, Brwer misses most of Gomez, all he caught was his arm which is why the stick went flying.

Hits don't constitute great defense. All I know is against Slovakia I heard Brewer's name way too much.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Brewer has been Canada's WORST defenseman. No ifs, ands or buts. You see a scoring chance, and HALF the time it is from Brewer not being in position.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Egil said:
Brewer has been Canada's WORST defenseman. No ifs, ands or buts. You see a scoring chance, and HALF the time it is from Brewer not being in position.
Thank you.

Maybe I'm just watching him too much because he's always mentioned to be part of a trade, but he's slow laterally, slow to turn around and get back in posistion, he whips his stick at people going to the outside rather than push them to the boards...

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
I think we're too eager to bash Brewer. Our team has given up 2 goals so far! How bad can he be? By the way he is +1. Yes yes I know, +/- doesn't tell us all. But he can't be that bad. People are mad because he put the puck right into the goalie with St Louis right there. The game was already over by then. It wasn't a tight 1-1 game. I think we should ease up on Brewer.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Jacques Plante said:
I think we're too eager to bash Brewer. Our team has given up 2 goals so far! How bad can he be? By the way he is +1. Yes yes I know, +/- doesn't tell us all. But he can't be that bad. People are mad because he put the puck right into the goalie with St Louis right there. The game was already over by then. It wasn't a tight 1-1 game. I think we should ease up on Brewer.

If it had been Brewer who let Gaborik in on the breakaway, we would never hear the end of it... if it had been Brewer who had played like Jovo through the first 4 games, there would be a lynch Brewer party going on. People want to hate the guy, so every time they see him, or hear him do anything, they take it in the worst possible light.

It took me a long time to get over this phobia with people that I dislike too... but I think that if you are looking for negatives in anyones game you could pick up on some. I mean Iginla's finishing has been brutal this tournament, but do I think he's playing badly? Of course not.. overall he's playing fine, and goals will come.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Canuck21t said:
Did you not read my post carefully or is it because my sentense was full of gramatical mistakes? If it's the latter, I'm sorry for my poor English, it's not my first language.

Sorry, misunderstood your post.

mowzie said:
Brewer bashing... Some people just never change.

It's easier to criticize Brewer I think. Mainly because a) he's not a vet, b) he's not a pure defensive d-man like Hannan and c) he's not a young hyped stud like Bouwmeester. And he's also not as flashy as Jovanovski or Niedermeyer. So if anything goes wrong, blame the guy you can't label. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->