World Cup: Sep 1 GDT - Canada vs. Slovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
wow, not wasting any time!

Should be interesting to see how Slovakia holds up in the "real" games. They have the pure skill to play with Canada, that's for sure, but do they have the intangibles? I have my doubts. Regardless..... REALLY looking forward to seeing what this Slovakian team can do.... they were screwed with how the Olympics set up and they haven't had everybody together for any World Championships......

Should get a true read on how far Slovakian hockey HAS come....

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
MOGiLNY said:
no Bondra, Palffy and Handzus.. true read my ass

despite that, they still have one of the more gifted set of forwards in this tourney IMO. With Zednik, Stumpel, Satan, Bartecko, Demitra, Gaborik, Hossa, Nagy, Orszagh they are not to be taken lightly, especially since all of them play so well together which has been proven in the World Championships the past couple of years.

I do agree that those three are heavy losses though :(

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Besides Jovo, do you think Team Canada will make any lineup changes?

I don't think Thornton has to worry anymore. Morrow looked pretty good too.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Slovakia is not to be taken lightly, but all I'm saying is that their team is far from being the best they can be. Palffy is a HUGE loss. He's one of the best wingers in the game. Bondra isn't what he used to be, but still definitely a big part of his team, and now that they've lost both of them as well as Handzus who's a pretty good player himself, saying that we can finally get a true read on Slovak hockey is ridiculous imo.

And for the record, I'm in no way, shape or form affiliated with Slovakia. I could care less about the country and how the team does at the world cup. I'm just doing my best to be objective here.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
MOGiLNY said:
no Bondra, Palffy and Handzus.. true read my ass

Every team is missing very key players.... Canada is missing 3 of perhaps the top five Dmen in the world (Pronger, Blake, MacInnis) and is about to lose one that is probably in the top 20 in the world (Jovo). Everybody's hurt. This is still probably the best team in Slovakian hockey history.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Slovakia will win 3-1.

Canada got pretty tired after first period in the game against USA. If Slovakia can prevent Canada from escaping in the first period this game should be theirs. Last nights game has to show in team Canada.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm gonna predict either 4-3 Canada or a 2-2 tie.

It could be a rather high scoring game, though.

Jacques Strappe

Feb 12, 2004
Halifax
A_wildstabatanything said:
Besides Jovo, do you think Team Canada will make any lineup changes?

I don't think Thornton has to worry anymore. Morrow looked pretty good too.

Theodore might be allowed to sit on the bench instead of Luongo :dunno:

Mr. Penguin

Aug 30, 2004
Finland
I believe and hope that Slovakia will win this game.

Let's say:

CAN - SVK . . . 2 - 4 (last goal will be an empty netter)

turtlwaX

Aug 31, 2004
Thornton did look pretty good against the USA, but I think we will still see some changes to the lineup. Maltby and Draper should get the call tonight put togther with Doan, and be matched up shift for shift with Slovakian #1 unit. Hannan will replace Jovonovski.

Canada will be at its most vulnerable tonight, so I expect a close checking game.

My prediction ... 2-1 Canada

turtlwaX

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
I'd definitely put the grind line out there, since Slovakia is so dangerous offensively.

Who to scratch, though? Gagne and Marleau?

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
:dunno:

They're both good. But if I had to pick one to play on my team, it would have to be Burnaby Joe. Does that make him "The" good one?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Slovakia argueably has the most firepower in the world, even without Palffy and Bondra. This team is loaded with 30 goal scorers, they will lost because of their defense, and this will be a high-scoring game (I also doubt Brodeur will play)

Canada 7 Slovakia 4

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
i believe that it will be a good game a slovakia takes the win.
4:2 slovakia (gaborik, hossa, chara, bartecko - iggy, iggy)
go slovakia go! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad