World Cup QF: Sep 8 GDT - Canada vs. Slovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
The Albino said:
Not to mention the guys who aren't playing (Tanguay, Bertuzzi, Blake, Pronger). Canada was in a bit of a lull around Nagano, but everything goes in cycles. Like you said, even if Canada loses there won't be a big controversy about how Canada "can't compete anymore."

Canada HAD a problem in Nagano. The philosophy surrounding canadian hockey was, at the time: we have to play a physical, in-your-face type of hockey to be effective. Remember the composition of the team?

The Hockey Summit brought one good thing to the forefront: Canada CAN produce superior hockey players, but we have to insist even more on the skillset of players, not on their grit and size, which were Canadiana fixtures. Gretzky, at the time, said it on National TV. Bob Nicholson also. Since then, minor hockey has changed a bit, everywhere. The skills are better honed than they were. Our national program is the most complete of all the countries; no question about it, since we're the only country placing teams on podiums at most of all the international events. In minor hockey, the programs have been upgraded. The kids have "lessons" before or during the season, at practically every level except the latter ones. The Excellence program in this province (midget AAA, midget Espoir and Major Junior) has been super, nothing to say about it.

Canada could lose against a more experienced team saturday. But it is not a more talented team. Even if this is a young bunch (you take out Lemieux and, age-wise, it is the youngest, less experienced), it has an incredible lineup, fixtures we will see for the next 10 years or so. And to think we left a kid like Nash out of the picture! And imagine Crosby 3 years from now!

All I have to say is: chapeau! But let's not drop our guard, like we did in the mid 90's. Let's keep being the premier hockey nation in the world.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm not getting ahead of myself yet, but after a 5-0 QF iwn against a good Slovak team can we sya that if we win on Tuesday that this will for once silence the critics that we arent the best in the world (and let's face it, it's someitmes Canadian reporters too). After the 2002 Olympics, the back to back World Championships, and the six straight medals in the WJC its safe to say we'll be the best, no controversy

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Reilly311's prediction for the Czech Canada game

4-1 Czech's. Then he will say "If they lose, you will never hear the end of it from me"

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Drake1588 said:
Shame they didn't go with Stana from the outset.

It wouldn't have mattered. I thought Lasak looked great. I can't fault him for any of the goals. In fact, goals 2-4 were, in my opinion, unstoppable. The last second tip-ins and shots like that from Sakic are the type of goals that no one saves, not even the hottest goalies. If you expect Stana to make any of those saves, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
SmokeyClause said:
It wouldn't have mattered. I thought Lasak looked great. I can't fault him for any of the goals. In fact, goals 2-4 were, in my opinion, unstoppable. The last second tip-ins and shots like that from Sakic are the type of goals that no one saves, not even the hottest goalies. If you expect Stana to make any of those saves, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

And if anyone watched Stana play Canada in the first go around.....he looked a heck of a lot worse than what Lasak did tonight.

ArtVandelei

Nov 2, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Big Phil said:
I'm not getting ahead of myself yet, but after a 5-0 QF iwn against a good Slovak team can we sya that if we win on Tuesday that this will for once silence the critics that we arent the best in the world (and let's face it, it's someitmes Canadian reporters too). After the 2002 Olympics, the back to back World Championships, and the six straight medals in the WJC its safe to say we'll be the best, no controversy

Considering that Russian, Swedish, and now possibly Finnish hockey is in dissaray; Chech Republic no longer has the dominator, and the USA is not exacly surging (even though they still managed to beat us in the WJC)- Canada being the best is not much of an accomplishment.

Reilly311

MrMastodonFarm said:
Reilly311's prediction for the Czech Canada game

4-1 Czech's. Then he will say "If they lose, you will never hear the end of it from me"

Flattering, but you're giving canada too much credit. 5-0 Czechs.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
ArtVandelei said:
Considering that Russian, Swedish, and now possibly Finnish hockey is in dissaray; Chech Republic no longer has the dominator, and the USA is not exacly surging (even though they still managed to beat us in the WJC)- Canada being the best is not much of an accomplishment.
Canada has done a great job of developing players recently and win or lose in this tournament, can be pleased with the quality of players coming into the pro ranks. The status of player development and the ability of other countries to attract their players to tournaments has nothing to do with these accomplishments. There was a fear that Canada was only develping system oriented grinders, and that fear has been dispelled. Seems like a nice accomplishment to me.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Mountaineers said:
Canada will win handily. Look for Gagne to put a couple in. And Brodeur is not the best goalie in this tournament or in Canada for that matter.
NEWSFLASH:PATRICK ROY RETIRED

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Reilly311 said:
Flattering, but you're giving canada too much credit. 5-0 Czechs.

Clearly, you give countries that play Canada too much credit. Sure, sometimes Canadians do give Team Canada too much credit but please. It's not that bad and you know it. To say that the score against the Czech's is gonna be 5-0 for the Czech's is absurd. It couldn't be more clear how biased you are. I know, you know, everybody on these boards know it won't be 5-0 for the Czech's. Heck, there's no way the score will be 5-0 anyway. For once man push your bias aside when it comes to Canadian hockey. I'm not saying that Canada is always guarenteed to win but according to your predictions there's no way they're gonna win. So please man stop making a fool of yourself.

P.S. I know that you're gonna think I'm stupid for this but who is that fat guy in your avatar?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Mark Madden. Local sports radio personality and former sports writer for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He also once fancied himself a wrestler, and currently remains very much a attention-seeking, bombastic turdmaster. His approach is to insult, stir controversy and generally act like a child in order to garner as much publicity for his radio show as possible, while attracting attention to his favorite sports team, the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The last is the only reason I don't wish him to drop off the face of the planet. Though he really isn't the type of person I want putting a face to my favorite sports franchise, it IS publicity in a almost entirely Steelers-dominated market.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
BlindWillyMcHurt said:
Mark Madden. Local sports radio personality and former sports writer for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He also once fancied himself a wrestler, and currently remains very much a attention-seeking, bombastic turdmaster. His approach is to insult, stir controversy and generally act like a child in order to garner as much publicity for his radio show as possible, while attracting attention to his favorite sports team, the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The last is the only reason I don't wish him to drop off the face of the planet. Though he really isn't the type of person I want putting a face to my favorite sports franchise, it IS publicity in a almost entirely Steelers-dominated market.

Sounds like a true low-life. Probably as bad as Reilly. I thought it was him though as Reilly seems to be in love with him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well, I dunno that he is truly a real low-life. I think he just feeds people what they want: controversy. Face it - people love to be pissed off about things and start yelling at each other.

He just exploits an unfortunate flaw in human nature, and it's unattractive in the extreme to watch unfold. People who like pro-wrestling, reality TV, and trashy talk shows are the same type that usually subscribe to his kind of rhetoric.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
BlindWillyMcHurt said:

Not to mention he totally contradicts himself. He says Lemieux doesnt count as being Canadian because he is from Quebec. Then he calls fans from Quebec "Stupid French-Canadians" :lol

alexk65

Jul 18, 2004
alexk65 said:
Lemieux will step up big with 1 goal and 2 assists.
4-0 canada

Mine was close i almost predicted mario's output, maby ill count the goal he got at first but didnt touch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad