World Cup QF: Sep 8 GDT - Canada vs. Slovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think Canada's going to win, but what I would be concerned with if I was them is I don't think we've seen the best from them by a long shot. Everyone was writing off the U.S. and all of a sudden they're in the semis. IF Canada takes Slovakia lightly, and Stana plays well, Canada COULD be in for a long evening. I'm going with a 4-2 Canada victory, with the last goal and empty netter by Kris Draper.

Last edited:

habster

Mar 11, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I think Canada's physical style of play will weaking the slovak team to where they will make mistakes and canada to capitalize on them. 4-2 Canada. 2 goals for the slovaks on PP.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Im pumped baby!!!!!!
Let's bury the Slovaks and get to the Czechs. I've never fully recovered from '98. I want them beat to a pulp.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This Canadian team has been getting better with every passing game. The Canadians are bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled, better defense, better goaltending. I can't see anyway that the Slovaks win this game.

Canada 4-1.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Teezax said:
Im pumped baby!!!!!!
Let's bury the Slovaks and get to the Czechs. I've never fully recovered from '98. I want them beat to a pulp.

Absolutely!!! I haven't forgotten that either. With no Hasek and no shootout to fall back on, we'll see what they've really got. But, Slovakia first...

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Well look what happened the Swedish team. Lets not rule anything out but I'll always support my Canadian guys! GO TEAM CANADA GO!! 3-0!

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
there are 2 different scenarios in my mind:

- canada beats slovakia badly (5:0, 7:1,..)
- 1 gaol game (2:1,3:2, 3:4,...) with unknown winner (hopefully slovakia)

i'd be satisfied if the slovaks play what they are capable of...they have nothing to loss...might be inetersting game

go slovakia go :yo:

watch satan!

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
BAuldie said:
You really need to check your facts.. that was a semi-final.
no you just misunderstood.

canda played kazhakstan in an easy qf, then looked past the czechs to the final

canada plays slovakia(in what might not be an easy qf), and some of the fans are looking ahead right to the final.

Thats what I was trying to say.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I'd be worried about this game if I thought the players and coaches were taking
the Slovaks as lightly as some of the fans and media are.They are not.Even from the start they downplayed the preliminaries and talked about the elimination
games as do or die game sevens.Brodeur wrote an article in the globe and mail
a few days ago discussing this very thing. They will take every opponent one at
a time and very seriously.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'll say Canada 5-1. I'd love to see them pour salt onto the wounds of the Slovaks. Then the Czechs I will never forget '98 and waking up at 3am to watch a game that we lose. In '02 we tied them so I hope we stomp them 5-1 as well. Canada has way too much offense to be thought to lose to any of these teams. Brodeur has been stellar as well.

I was actually hoping for a Can/Rus final now it'll be either Fin or USA. So I guess I can predict it will be USA only because they play on home ice, although I'm cheering for Finland for sure. Its getting old fast beating the USA. OUr round robin game wasnt even close although it was 2-1, it should have been 4-0 at the end of the first.

But lests just get by the Slovaks tonight. Hey lets face it who in their right mind would have thouhgt USA would have beaten Russia in 1980?

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
let's not compare even though the point could be valid.
the mighty Swedes just happen to choke in games like that. just like Russians.
Canada, in difference, pretty much always shows up prepared.

Canada 6 - Slovaks 3

BeLeafer87 said:
Well look what happened the Swedish team. Lets not rule anything out but I'll always support my Canadian guys! GO TEAM CANADA GO!! 3-0!

BeerTuzzi

Nov 27, 2003
Well, I am nervous as hell about this one. Slovakia 4 Canada 3. I smell an upset

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Reilly311 said:
:lol:

Slovakia could wake up at any moment. Slovakia played great against Canada in their pre-tournament game. Anything can happen. You're crazy if you think Canada can't lose. Slovakia has the players to win this game. They aren't Germany here (who, btw, almost upset Finland). Canadas defense is no where as good as it was at the start of this tournament.

I can't believe I'm saying(or typing, whatever) this but I agree. Slovakia is definitely capable of winning. Like you say that got a lot of good players. Also, Canada's defence is worse but to say that it's no where near as good as it was before is ludicrous(not including Blake and Pronger).

I really don't like the chances of there being three sleeping giants in the tournament being the U.S., Czechs, and Slovaks. I'm surprised there's two, I got a feeling there's not gonna be three.

I'm gonna say 4-2. Canada Scorers(in no order)- Jarome Iginla, Dany Heatley 2, Brad Richards. Slovakia Scorers(in no order)- Marian Hossa, Miro Satan

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
one thing that got me a little worried is everyone from the media was comparing the Slovakls this year to the past Belarussian teams in previosu tournaments. That didn't sit well with them, and they will come out fierce tonight.
But not fierce enough. it won't be a blowout. A one goal or 2 goal game for sure.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Canada 4 Slovakia 2

This won't be a blow away as everyone thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad