World Cup QF: Sep 8 GDT - Canada vs. Slovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Fish on The Sand said:
the last time canada had an easy qf and then looked past the czechs the czechs beat them.

That was 6 years ago, in the days of Hasek. European rules, bad ice surface, and a different team. As for the Slovaks, IF we play our best, we'll steamroll them. If we don't play well, or underestimate them, then there'll be problems.
5-2 Canada I say.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
there's nothing to suggest this is going to be an "upset special". this is the best i've probably ever seen a team Canada play, and Slovakia has been a giant dissapointment all tournament. They've lost a few key players and apparently are having some internal issues with their coach

4-2 Canada

Reilly311

arrbez said:
there's nothing to suggest this is going to be an "upset special".

:lol:

Slovakia could wake up at any moment. Slovakia played great against Canada in their pre-tournament game. Anything can happen. You're crazy if you think Canada can't lose. Slovakia has the players to win this game. They aren't Germany here (who, btw, almost upset Finland). Canadas defense is no where as good as it was at the start of this tournament.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Slovakia will be a different team in the quarterfinals than in the round robin. The Slovaks can now play Hossa, Satan, Gaborik, Nagy, Stumpel, Zednik to play 25 minutes each, only leaving 10 minutes of weaker players. Chara will see some 30-35 minutes, etc. IF they can get good goaltending, they will be a serious threat.

That being said, if Canada brings their A game, they should win. But I do not expect this to be a blowout like the last game.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
You would hope that Slovakia would show up to at least one of their games this tournament. This team has been so disappointing. The only good thing about them is that players like Chara and Demitra are willing to take responsibility for the team's poor play. They've given some great quotes after games so far.

Having said that, Slovakia's goaltending is highly suspect and all their skilled players have yet to demonstrate that they can put together anything resembling a cohesive offence as of yet. I hope it's a good game, and I hope Slovakia can give Canada a run, but I can't see Canada putting in a sub-par effort, which is what it will take for them to lose. Canada is paranoid. They're at home, they're undefeated and they've seen two "upsets" already in the quarterfinals and one near upset in Finland. They're going to come out hard and Brodeur is going to be solid once again. If Slovakia can weather the initial storm and score the first goal, then it may be panic time, but if Canada scores first, watch out.

Canada 5-1

Iginla (2)
Sakic
Lecavalier
Richards

Stumpel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad